What do you wish was in your carry-on for the long flight.

Cocolab

I also posted this onTripAdvisor: I thought I would ask here as well since I am coming to French Polynesia for a cruise.

Those of you who have done this flight (LAX-PPT) what are your suggestions for a comfortable flight in economy class on Air Tahiti Nui. We are flying the red-eye both ways.

Based on your experience...I would like ideas on what to bring......comforts to put in my carry-on...toothbrush, eye mask, slippers, etc.....what did you bring or wish you would have brought. Thank you.

We did that flight 5 years ago. I would suggest noise-cancelling headphones (these especially important if you are on overnight PPT-LAX return flight!).

Also food and snacks. I am not one to usually do this and thought reports of bad inflight meals were exaggerated, but it really was atrocious!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First I would book aisles seats. I would take a book and my iPad with some games in the carry on. In addition a good body lotion and some flat shoes. And in such a long flight, I would walk every hour in order to avoid circulatory problems, unless I am sleeping.

I also posted this onTripAdvisor: I thought I would ask here as well since I am coming to French Polynesia for a cruise.

Those of you who have done this flight (LAX-PPT) what are your suggestions for a comfortable flight in economy class on Air Tahiti Nui. We are flying the red-eye both ways.

Based on your experience...I would like ideas on what to bring......comforts to put in my carry-on...toothbrush, eye mask, slippers, etc.....what did you bring or wish you would have brought. Thank you.

Air Tahiti provided a kit for everyone on the flight that included a mask, socks, blanket, headphones and a few other things. It was a comfortable flight even in the rear of the cabin.

There was good food and drink service.

It was a good experience overall. I can’t think of anything you would need.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Items to help stop your skin drying out, like a little facial water spray, face cream, lip balm and eye drops or the special eye sprays that you used on closed eyes. I always take a plastic bottle of water on, or at least an empty plastic bottle, so you don't need to keep water in a glass and have the tray table down. It may sound obvious, but also basic painkillers, the pressurisation brings on headaches for some people. Also snacks, gum to help your ears on landing, and peppermints.

All great suggestions. I am not sure everything is offered in each class. The flight is quite grueling and personally it is hard to get over. We always go two days ahead because of the drastic time change. I also pay for the room for the night before so we can get in right away. This is a lovely cruise, but a horrible flight both ways. Bring good sandwiches to eat as someone said the food was bad. We have not had that experience since ATN was many, many years ago, then we used Air France and one time came from New Zealand over.

We did that flight 5 years ago. I would suggest noise-cancelling headphones (these especially important if you are on overnight PPT-LAX return flight!).

Also food and snacks. I am not one to usually do this and thought reports of bad inflight meals were exaggerated, but it really was atrocious!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I overreacted to reports of objectionable food on Air Tahiti Nui. Readied for our flight last spring by a visit TJ's, and husband carried small backpack stuffed with food. But ATN food turned out to be quite good. Nothing needed but a good book.

1. My favorite Travel companion, my wife

2. IPhone with recorded books and some music

3. One of those noise-cancelling over-ear Head Phone.

4. Small water bottles, filled

5. Survival food (bagels, dry or with hard cheese).

Not to take: any chocolate cookies. If one falls into your lap, there’s no way to find it in the dark and you find yourself with a brown spot exactly where you don’t want it.

Our flight left at midnight, so my goal was to sleep, though I did have a kindle with me just in case.

Our food was a cheese sandwich on white bread. If food is important, bring snacks.

I took a Lunesta pill to help me sleep. I always travel with a pashmina, which works very well as a blanket but rolls up quite small, socks for the plane, chapstick, a water bottle (fill it after security), phone charger, eye mask, foam ear plugs, toothbrush and toothpaste. After losing my luggage to Iceland, I also now always travel with a fresh shirt, underwear, and any article of clothing I will for sure need at my destination.

I'm torn on neck pillows. I still can't find one I love, and I hate their bulk for what is a 1-2 time usage on the whole trip.

And the basics - any medications, paperwork, documents, camera/expensive electronics, etc.

Always less, even though I’m stuck where I am. I have a backpack to carry my camera, lenses, flash, iPhone, and my sunglasses (prescription). Top section has my kindle, bose over the ears noise reduction headphones, passports, special therapeutic long travel socks, and ankle socks to slip over those to walk around the plane in. A little baggy in an easy to get to side pocket with any pills I need to take. That’s enough, that’s all. I’d check my camera but the baggage handlers or inspectors would steal them.

Everything else gets checked. I’m not one of those travelers that insist upon having all their worldly belongings in a suitcase in the cabins with them.

I do not remember the food on ATN good or bad so it must have been just okay. What I do remember is their kit which was a beautiful blue and full of useful things. The flight itself is 8 hours and though not the most comfortable, it was not the worst 8 hours on a plane either. We came to Tahiti all in one day, leaving Florida very early in the am and arriving on Tahiti about 9 at night. I liked that and just went to bed after our luggage arrived. Going back was as said above much worse with the late night flight after all day exploring Tahiti (very pretty away from Papeete) and then a couple of hours at LAX before the flight to the east coast. It really does take a few days to get back to normal. So what I recommend instead of little things is figuring out if you need to break up the journey both ways or especially on return. Wear loose comfortable clothes. Also: the reason I do not remember the food is because we had a very good big hamburger lunch at the international terminal while waiting at LAX for the ATN flight (several good restaurant choices) and a very good french baguette (just like in Paris!) ham sandwich in the PPT airport. That was easier than carrying snacks.

We are doing this flight in March 2019. Both of us always wear compression socks. In my carryon for long flights I always have Rosehip oil for moisturizing in flight (hands and face). I decant mine into a one ounce bottle. Water, water and water. Get up and walk and a few yoga stretches you can do in your seat. I have my iPad loaded with books, games and movies. My favorite neck pillow and light blanket (Travel Smith). I also pack Yes to Cucumbers facial wipes. I find them very refreshing at the end of a long flight. I do not react well to sleep aids so I bring peppermint tea and camomile tea and a toothbrush and toothpaste. Don't forget your Clorox wipes for the controls and tray table. Enjoy your cruise!

Don't forget your Clorox wipes for the controls and tray table

True, and don't forget to wipe the first thing that every passenger touches immediately after using the Rest Room!

:evilsmile: I'll leave the specifics to your imagination, but you all KNOW what it is......

We flew ATN in 2013 to FP and found the food and service very good in Economy.

They gave everyone a little kit with earphones, eye mask and ? can't remember, but it was a nice touch.

The flight over was great, we were excited so didn't sleep. We always bring almonds and a little candy snack.

They also served complementary wine, not the best but it was included.

On the way back...we had that awful late departure, ours was at 11:30pm.

Drank some wine and took AdvilPM hoping to sleep...but our seats were right next to the bathroom! Awful smell and we were woken every time someone used the bathroom and bumped by those waiting to use it!

My best advice is: Make sure your seats are not next to the bathroom.

Otherwise our flight back probably would have been as enjoyable as going and I'm sure we would have slept instead of feeling miserable and tired.

Antibacterial Wipes (we wipe down the arm rests, seat belt buckles, tv screen and our hands before and after meals)

Travel spray bottle with water/toner mixture to spray face and help with dryness

Almonds/Candy snacks

Book or ipad

I always carry a pair of socks in my handbag and slip my shoes off and put them on.

A packet of those metallic foot warmers in case the plane is freezing (which has happened in the past)

My own travel roll up blanket

Enjoy your trip, it's beautiful there!

Always less, even though I’m stuck where I am. I have a backpack to carry my camera, lenses, flash, iPhone, and my sunglasses (prescription). Top section has my kindle, bose over the ears noise reduction headphones, passports, special therapeutic long travel socks, and ankle socks to slip over those to walk around the plane in. A little baggy in an easy to get to side pocket with any pills I need to take. That’s enough, that’s all. I’d check my camera but the baggage handlers or inspectors would steal them.

Everything else gets checked. I’m not one of those travelers that insist upon having all their worldly belongings in a suitcase in the cabins with them.

Thank you. This is why I asked the question. I tend to travel light, just a back pack carry on. I didn't want to be on a long flight and wish I would have packed something I didn't think of.

Outbound (i.e. going to the cruise) , we always stick a bathing suite in the carry on.

In either direction, baby powder can be a lifesaver (removes sand, deodorizes, prevents chafing even de-greases in a pinch) -and because it is light and non-liquid Airline restrictions don't effect it.

Depending on the pacific weather pattern in March-may your flight may only take 7 hours that 2 more than LAX to NYC.....

I have dont the flight 4 times and what I learned to bring, more than anything mentioned is a business class ticket O can up grade you for as little as $700...

If you can change to Air France its way better than Tahiti Nui....

If your flying from the east or mid west, try to get a schedule where you have a 12 hour layover at LAX and head to the Marriott for a shower and a bed.... do not try to make a 4 to 6 hour flight on the front and a 7-8 hour flight on...