What advise would you give to first time cruiser?

ruecatt

Generally speaking, if someone was considering taking a cruise for the first time what advise would you give them? What could you tell them from your experience to make their cruise experience better and go smoother?

Avoid the stress of booking private excursions and stick to the ship-sponsored excursions for your first cruise. On your next cruise you can consider going private.

Arrive in the cruise port city the day before the cruise and plan on staying one night in the port city after the cruise to avoid potential flight delays. The post-cruise flights will be packed so waiting one extra day before flying home will yield lower airfares, earlier-morning flights, a chance to repack your luggage for the flight home, and time to relax..

Research your ports. The more you know about where you're going, the better time you will have, and the less money you will spend.

Realize that 1st timers generally spend about 1/2 of the cost of the cruise fare in "extras".

A cruise is just a vacation...so go with that in mind. There is no "right" or "wrong" way to vacation!

I concur with everything already posted, so this is what I'll add:

1. Don't agonize over every small choice that has to be made. While you may enjoy one shore excursion more than another, the choice is not critical to your overall pleasure in the cruise. You can drive yourself bonkers trying to figure out every last detail, and people on these message boards are all too happy to help you, either with the choices themselves, or with the going bonkers part.

2. The most important choice, as I see it, is to select a cruise and stateroom type that you will like, without become over-extended financially. Many people here love to have grand staterooms or suites, which is fine as long as the cost doesn't cause you to worry yourself sick during the cruise. You don't want to get into the position of spending so much on the stateroom that you fear to choose a restaurant or shore excursion that costs more than the minimum. For example, a suite can be a delightful experience but it is almost the same experience every day of the cruise. If it would be a choice between that and the most appealing shore excursions I'd recommend the shore excursions since they are all different.

Read as much as you can before booking the cruise, after booking the cruise and once on board. Specifically, there is a lot of information on the cruise lines website and once on board in each of the daily programs given to you each night and on the day you board there is a wealth of information. Also read the information provided in the final documents.

Keith

I concur with everything already posted, so this is what I'll add:

. You can drive yourself bonkers trying to figure out every last detail, and people on these message boards are all too happy to help you, either with the choices themselves, or with the going bonkers part.

Excellent advice (y)

I see posts about making spreadsheets & such. Works for some, indeed part of the fun for some, but I see it as overkill.

My own little suggestions for a first cruise

............ , choose a cruise line of your own nationality. This reduces the number of differences such as food choices, customs (that's customs with a small "c"), ship's currency, etc compared to your usual vacations. Other countries' cruise lines have their advantages such as a more cosmopolitan passenger mix, but mebbe not for a first cruise.

............... don't over-spend on unnecessary extras such a premium-pay restaurants, ship's photographers, etc. Again, for subsequent cruises you might want to give these things a try. But still take Clarea's advice - work out how many clothes & how much cash to take, then halve the clothes & double the cash.

............... I'll respectfully disagree with Crew News about taking ship's excursions - even on a first cruise - but depending on where you cruise and the detail of the excursion.

Ships' excursions are over-priced, regimented, inflexible, go at the speed of the slowest (and that can be very very slow), and are inevitably almost-always a cattle-drive.

The Caribbean is the easiest place in the world to just get off the ship, negotiate with taxi & van drivers on the quayside, & go explore or get taken to a beach. Drivers at the port are friendly, trustworthy, know their island & know the importance of back-on-board time. A van tour is so much more fun than a ship's bus tour and about a quarter to a third of the cost. On the other hand, joining group activities such as snorkelling from a catamaran, zip-lining, river-tubing & such is much more difficult to fix up on the fly, so best done by pre-booking the ship's offering.

As an example at the other end of the scale, Luxor from Safaga is a 3 hour drive & transportation is unreliable. Even hardened independents like us bite the bullet & book with the ship.

So don't just automatically book ships' excursions - read up the ports-of-call section of Cruise Critic, mebbe come back to this thread with your ports, and then decide whether / where to do your own thing.

................. it's a vacation, not an induction. So don't over-think the minutia. In the main you learn as you go, and your shipmates are usually happy to help with advice.

JB :)

You don't have to do it all!!!

Some run around trying to do every activity in the daily paper, and a full day organized trip in every port and then collapse when they get home, or don't remember what they did or where.

If you are going on a week long cruise, consider how much time during the day you will spend in a swimsuit, how long you will wear an outfit at night, if you can mix and match, and you don't need a suitcase full of shoes either.

Remember that it is only a week, you are not moving! Have fun, bring more money than clothes (unless it's Alaska, Antarctica or Northern Lights cruise you are going on.

I would suggest that you save up and go on a more upmarket cruise line on one of the smaller ships. There are far fewer choices to be made on such ships, as most things are include in the fare, and the service is much better than on the mainstream cruises. The result will be a more relaxing holiday where you won't have to worry about speciality restaurants, drinks packages and lots of queues.

Find a travel agent that specializes in cruises. After talking to you, they can guide you to a cruise line that will appeal to you best and can help you choose a cabin that doesn't have a venue overhead that will keep you awake or find a cabin that best suits your budget. You can do it yourself, but you don't pay to use the travel agent and they have vast experience with multiple cruise lines. It can save you tons of time going over deck plans, adding the cost and you can usually get some sort of perk like on-board credit to spend on an excursion, etc. We've gone on more than a dozen cruises and still let our travel agent do the legwork for us.

Once you decide on the cruise line, itinerary and cabin, check out the ports and what type of activities that appeal to you. For a first cruise, I'd go with a ship's excursion unless all you want to do is visit a beach, in which case you can hop in a cab at the port.

Make sure you keep a cheap watch with you on "ship time." Your I-phone will auto change to the time in the port you are in. Ship time can be different and you could miss the ship leaving the port. You'll get a cruise "newsletter" each evening. It will have a phone number for the Port Authority for the port you will be in. Keep that number for emergencies on you when you leave the ship. Either take the "newsletter" or lock the number in on your phone, should you need it.

Scan a copy of your passport, ID, credit card(s) and put them in your e-mail. You can have access to these from any computer should any of these items become lost or stolen. We do this whenever we travel, along with our hotel reservations, etc.

Keep your passport, ID, etc ON YOU when you get to the port. NEVER put them in your luggage to be given to the porters when you go to the port or airport personnel. Keep you medications on you, or your carry-on..not in your checked bag.

When you get to the cabin, put your car keys, passport, etc. in the safe in a zip lock bag so they are all in one spot you can grab when you get ready to head home.

Mix and match your clothes. No one will notice or care if you wear the same top to dinner on Monday night and that top is worn on Thursday for a shopping excursion or back to dinner that night. You won't need a different pair of shoes for every day/night.

Arrive the day before the cruise in the port city, whether you drive or fly as a safeguard...and it's great to arrive at the port rested and relaxed. If you find a hotel that offers cruise and park, you'll find that the hotel rate will probably be cheaper than parking your car at the port (parking fees are HIGH at the port). We consider it a "free" night because we aren't paying port parking. They usually offer a free or low cost shuttle to the cruise port where they drop you off right in front of the porter who will take your luggage and you can head straight inside to check in and start your vacation.

Our first few cruises were before the days of Cruise Critic and we could have avoided so much hassle if we had found this site. Look at the Ports, Departure Cities for Hotels, restaurants, etc. Go to Roll Call and get acquainted with people who will be on your cruise. You can ask questions, find out if others are sharing an excursion you are interested in and build up your excitement about your cruise.

• Like 1

I would suggest that you save up and go on a more upmarket cruise line on one of the smaller ships.

I respectfully take exactly the opposite view. :p

A new cruiser has nothing to compare against, and prospects are than pretty-well any ship will wow them.

If they go on an up-market ship for a first cruise, for subsequent cruises the mainstream stuff will probably disappoint.:(

JB :)

My advice, relax, don't over think or over plan. And enjoy.

Some people get so caught up in the planning and doing, they don't have a vacation.

I suggest you pick the cruise based on when, what port (convenience), and cruise line (most mainstream are similar). And lastly where it goes. As a new cruiser, all the destinations are new and have interesting things to see and do.

More jaded cruisers will pan various places, but heck, you are only there for a day.

I would also look at sea days versus port days, and have a mix for the first cruise. You may find you like one over the other, or like both equally.

Don't try to do too much.

And again, relax and enjoy.

I’ve been on one cruise before and just booked my second and advice would be....

Plan plan plan!!!!! I would also say know what your going to do on each island and book all excursions ahead of time.

Incorporate private tour companies (only those HIGHLY rated) because the private tour excursions have been some of the best ones!

Don’t worry about packing lists. When I was researching my first cruise people took soooooo much with them that I thought I needed. Extension cords, power strip, hanging shoe organizer to put stuff in, etc, etc. you really don’t need any of that stuff, at all. Just keep it simple.

Don’t book a fancy expensive room. You will never be in your room, ever. We booked a window room for our first cruise and it was nice and all but would never do it again, I’d rather spend that money on other things.

Just note: I am on the younger side it seems on these forums, I was 28 on my first cruise and 30 now. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stop reading every website, blog, FB (or other social network) page and over analyzing things.

Don't try and preplan every second of every day. (If there is an excursion that looks interesting to you book it. But, don't try to plan being at bingo at 10am then trivia at 1030 and wine tasting at 1102 etc etc etc)

Don't make decisions based on what other people think or do. Do your thing and what makes you happy, not what others think or do.

Don't have unrealistic expectations. (don't expect Waldorf Astroia type service while paying Motel 6 prices)

I won't repeat the good suggestions already posted. But I'll add a few random ones that come to mind.

Bring a few refrigerator magnets. The walls in your stateroom are made of steel, and you can use the magnets to post the daily activity sheets, notes to your cabin mates, etc.

Speaking of those daily activity sheets, look for them every morning, placed in a pocket next to your door overnight. They have lots of good info about what's going on. You might even want to bring a highlighter to mark the activities you don't want to miss.

Plan for your electronics. Know what kind of electrical outlets are available on your ship. There probably aren't many outlets. Power strips and extension cords may be forbidden (though sometimes, a small power strip may be allowed as long as it has no surge suppressor). A multi-port USB charger can charge five or more USB devices at once, and only takes up a single AC outlet. On the other hand, many people find they enjoy the trip more if they leave most gadgets at home.

Don't eat more than you're comfortable eating. Some people see a buffet and think, "I've got to stuff myself on everything, because it's free and I can." I prefer to take the approach of, "There's no way I'm going to go hungry on this trip. There's always more food available than I can eat. So I can just relax and take a small amount now, and I can always go back for seconds or thirds if I'm still hungry". I rarely am hungry enough to go back, though. Sure, a bit of overindulgence is sometimes part of the experience, but I feel better if I mostly eat about the same amount as I would've eaten at home.

Don't be afraid to use room service. Unlike most hotels, it's probably cheap on the ship; often "free", though a tip is welcome, and kind-of expected.

Unpack your suitcases completely on the first day, and put them under your bed for the duration of the cruise. Use the drawers and closet as though you were living at home. Until that sad, last, evening, when you have to pack up for disembarkation the next morning...

I’ve been on one cruise before and just booked my second and advice would be....

Plan plan plan!!!!! I would also say know what your going to do on each island and book all excursions ahead of time. Personal choice, others prefer to be more free form. I book things I REALLY want to do ahead of time, but not everything.

Incorporate private tour companies (only those HIGHLY rated) because the private tour excursions have been some of the best ones!

Don’t worry about packing lists. When I was researching my first cruise people took soooooo much with them that I thought I needed. Extension cords, power strip, hanging shoe organizer to put stuff in, etc, etc. you really don’t need any of that stuff, at all. Just keep it simple. Yes, people carry too much stuff, but many people need a checklist to not miss things. Others have other methods.

Don’t book a fancy expensive room. You will never be in your room, ever. We booked a window room for our first cruise and it was nice and all but would never do it again, I’d rather spend that money on other things. If you have a room not conducive to staying in it, then you don't know if you will spend time there or not. Breakfast on your balcony is wonderful. Some are fine with the cheaper cabin, others prefer the size and perks of a suite.

Just note: I am on the younger side it seems on these forums, I was 28 on my first cruise and 30 now.

Different strokes for different folks.

I would advise:

1. Fly or drive to the port city a day before the cruise. This gives you a huge buffer if you run into any travel delays. Plus, there are often fun things to do in the port cities.

2. Book excursions with the cruise line. Your excursion tickets will be put either in your room or in the mail box outside of your cabin door. The meeting place and time will be on the ticket. It's easy to cancel an excursion and book something else if you change your mind. Once you have cruised, then you can look into saving money with outside vendors, if you prefer. But for your first cruise, it really decreases the stress. No matter how you book, it helps a lot to read reviews.

3. Scan your birth certificate and passport and save them to your phone. If something happens to your birth certificate or passport before you board the ship, you can print a copy of your birth certificate and should be able to board, depending on cruise line and itinerary. Don't pack your passport (or birth certificate) with your luggage. You will need it to board the ship.

4. I would suggest deciding on an itinerary, then choosing the ship and port. Once you have chosen the ship, I suggest reading everything you can on CC. You will learn a lot of good tips and information about your particular ship.

5. I suggest purchasing some type of travel insurance.

I took my first-ever cruise last month. I have a few thoughts.

I am a planner. I did tons of research here and other places online. I had my packing checklist, which made me feel more comfortable. Yes, I over-packed, just like many "rookies", but until I actually experienced things myself, I just wasn't sure. I mean, it's not like Walgreens or CVS is going to be just across the street. Once I got on the ship, however, I decided that I was going to just go with the flow and not get upset if I forgot something (which I did) or things didn't go as planned (sometimes they didn't). I figured that the worst day on vacation was better than the best day at work, so just enjoy.

Now that I've actually been on a ship, I can prune my packing list for the next trip. One of the most-helpful things I took with me was a Glade stick-up air freshener for the bathroom. I had a balcony cabin, but that bathroom was awfully musty when I boarded. The air freshener made things much nicer. I traveled alone, so some of the suggestions (over the door shoe holder, magnets, etc) were great, but I didn't need them and won't take them next time. I did purchase a small cross-body bag to carry my room card, hand sanitizer, lip balm, and eye drops, which came in handy.

I have never been prone to motion sickness, but was concerned. I took non-drowsy Dramamine starting the day before the cruise, and continuing to the end of the cruise. We hit some high winds and waves and many people on my trip were quite ill. Being a bit obsessive, I also packed some of the patches and seabands, which I ended up giving to some new acquaintances who were not weathering things well. I probably could have been okay with not taking the Dramamine, but I decided not to play roulette.

I couldn't agree more with the posters who wrote to scan important documents. Also, if you have to fly, fly in the day (or more) before. Finally, invest in travel insurance.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Edited by VirginiaIsForCruisers
Spelling