Newport, RI ideas/recommendations?

shadowmeboy

Our daughter and son in law live in Newport so we're "semi" experts on this delightful city. If you're into art at all, these are a couple of choices....National Museum of Illustration....one of my favorites on Bellevue Ave. Also Newport Art Museum always has a nice exhibit that changes often. An off the wall pick would be the Redwood Library. Stumbled on that one with our daughter (who had never been)....very interesting.

Watering holes....snacks.....Zelda's on Thames ( a nice walk), sailor hang out....Clarke Cooke House on Bannister's Wharf (upscale, bring money, but great vibe) and near the beginning of the cliff walk, the bar at the Spiced Pear....pricey, but beautiful with view of Eason's beach.

If you’re willing to get a car, or possibly just use taxis, there’s a vineyard (Greenvale) and the America’s Cup Hall of Fame or even Goat Island. But, if fog were to roll in (who knows in RI?) it can be creepy on that bridge coming back over. There’s the oldest temple in the US and also the church where JFK got married. Newport is just incredible to walk around, eat, shop etc.

I was born in Newport but didn’t grow up there, though I’ve been back many times for obvious reasons ;) The first time I was rather young and was truly NOT that interested in mansions either but they proved to be fascinating because the history of the families who lived there are part of what makes them so interesting. Add that to the views and settings of these places and it makes for quite an experience. There are surely many grand homes in the world, but there aren’t so many homes like this in America - which coincidentally include significant pieces brought over from elsewhere in the world that carry with them even more stories. So there aren’t many homes like THIS in America and they may just surprise you.

If nothing else, meander the grounds, they’re breathtaking. You’ll feel like you’re ina movie.

I hope you truly enjoy it :)

Speaking of art (which someone did), we visited several nice galleries situated along the waterfront and were pleasantly surprised to learn that no sales tax is charged on art (including pottery and such) in Rhode Island.

The Mooring Seafood restaurant (mooringrestaurant.com) is on the bay and is quite good. We especially enjoyed the Doughnut Bag - check out the description on the menu if you are interested!

The Black Pearl is an old established bar/restaurant along the waterfront - much more casual than the Mooring. We had some good clam chowder and drinks there.

403d54788c7ff52ad0d6f798c77c7186.jpg

0c8f2384f7ef740d7f60e64500ef2d26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newport is a beautiful coastal city filled with adventures for everyone. It is filled with history, art, good eats and more.

What do you like to do?

The tender will drop you off in Perotti Park (on the corner of Long Wharf and America's Cup Ave.) In season, there is typically a van in the park and it is loaded with information. (It is usually by the seal sculpture.) They will know if there are any special events going on that day. The Historical Society has been doing some great reenactments around town. If you like history, I can give you some great things to see.

Just north of the park on America's Cup Ave is the Visitor's Center. You could go there and take a tour bus or trolley to see the area or do a walking tour. You can get a map and walk on your own.

Just south of Perotti Park are Bowen's and Banister's Wharves. They are filled with shops and restaurants. There are also a few booths for boat tours. I highly reccommend Sight Sailing! They are awesome.

Newport is filled with great places for food. Someone already mentioned a few. We LOVE The Mooring. Their clam chowder is our favorite and the doughnuts are a great addition for a fast meal. (We always sit at the bar.)

If you are looking for the best lobster roll then go to the Lobster Shack on State Pier. It is at the corner of Long Wharf and Washington Street. It is owned/run by a co-op of lobster/fishermen in Newport. Don't let the fact that it is a food truck turn you off, lobstter is best fresh off of the boat. It is fresher and cheaper than any other in town.

Let me know if you have any specific interests and I can give you some better information. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Newport is a beautiful coastal city filled with adventures for everyone. It is filled with history, art, good eats and more.

What do you like to do?

The tender will drop you off in Perotti Park (on the corner of Long Wharf and America's Cup Ave.) In season, there is typically a van in the park and it is loaded with information. (It is usually by the seal sculpture.) They will know if there are any special events going on that day. The Historical Society has been doing some great reenactments around town. If you like history, I can give you some great things to see.

Just north of the park on America's Cup Ave is the Visitor's Center. You could go there and take a tour bus or trolley to see the area or do a walking tour. You can get a map and walk on your own.

Just south of Perotti Park are Bowen's and Banister's Wharves. They are filled with shops and restaurants. There are also a few booths for boat tours. I highly reccommend Sight Sailing! They are awesome.

Newport is filled with great places for food. Someone already mentioned a few. We LOVE The Mooring. Their clam chowder is our favorite and the doughnuts are a great addition for a fast meal. (We always sit at the bar.)

If you are looking for the best lobster roll then go to the Lobster Shack on State Pier. It is at the corner of Long Wharf and Washington Street. It is owned/run by a co-op of lobster/fishermen in Newport. Don't let the fact that it is a food truck turn you off, lobstter is best fresh off of the boat. It is fresher and cheaper than any other in town.

Let me know if you have any specific interests and I can give you some better information. Enjoy!

Definitely interested in the Sight sailing. Their website was a good start. We also love lobster!

Thank you for your suggestions!

The Newport-Jamestown Ferry is Hop on Hop off. One of its stops is Perrotti Park next to where the tenders dock. It would enable you to visit Rose Island and other locations. Rose Island includes a light house, WWII housing, a bird sanctuary, etc. It is small but lovely. Ther ferry also has a drop off in Jamestown on the neighboring Conanicut Island, a stop a Fort Adams State Park, etc. Fort Adams is a lovely park with sweeping views of the harbor and the East Passage. You can get tours of the fort. The listening tunnels are funa and especially gratfying on a hot day. There is usually a Del's Frozen Leminade truck at the park also. Del's is a Rhodey must have!

What is the date that you will be in Newport? How many hours will you be there?

Do you like history, shopping, etc.? What are your interests? Knowing this would help me to steer you in the best direction.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We are in port from 11am to 6pm on a Friday.

At 415 days till sailing, we are currently leaning towards doing a schooner sailing on the Adirondack II. It seems like an enjoyable time. I am not opposed to doing something else.

As I mentioned before, I am not interested in doing a mansions tour. It’s our final port stop, so I want a relaxing excursion.

I highly recommend the Brick Alley Pub. It's in a great spot for walking and looking around at the shops, but go there for the food -- it's excellent! (I believe they take reservations, so it might not be a bad idea since summer in Newport can get pretty busy.)

The Mooring is also nice and you can't go wrong if you end up there instead, but we prefer the Brick Alley for it's charm and character.

Are you a veteran or do you have any military connections? The Naval base there is interesting and the Naval War College is also there. It's worth a look around if you are able to get access.

Unfortunately no access to military installations, so that is not a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 months later...

Will be arriving by tender in October and would love to receive advice on how to use public transportation from the port to do the Cliff Walk and see 1 or 2 mansions - (Marble House and Breakers).

What order of operation would you do the cliff walk and mansion tours in ? and what stops would you get off at to do the above ?

How often do the buses run ?

Thanks in advance... Dave

Will be arriving by tender in October and would love to receive advice on how to use public transportation from the port to do the Cliff Walk and see 1 or 2 mansions - (Marble House and Breakers).

What order of operation would you do the cliff walk and mansion tours in ? and what stops would you get off at to do the above ?

The Newport Visitor Information and Transportation Center is just a few blocks north of Perotti Park, which is where I believe you will tender. Their website is https://www.discovernewport.org/ and should have info on public transportation.

Cliff Walk runs behind both of the mansions you mention and I'd suggest going to the mansions first.

Enjoy the City by the Sea!

I would do the Breakers Marble House and Cliff Walk in that order I would have an option of doing CW right after the Breakers depending on time available.

For transportation, walk one block north from the tender docks to the Newport Transportation Center where you would board a bus to the Breakers. A route #67 bus will take you to the Breakers Marble House, and Cliff Walk. Here is the schedule & map. When you board the bus, tell the driver you want to get off at the closest stop to the Breakers. After the Breakers, you could walk to Marble House, or use the outbound bus. There is a stop in front of MH

When done at MH, go north (right) as you exit and walk until you reach Marine Ave. Go east (right) on Marine until you reach the Entrance/Exit to Cliff Walk. Go north (left) on CW. You could go south but that would take you to the unimproved section of CW, not a pleasant walk.

Walk north on CW until you reach the Forty Steps, which will be on your right. There is an Entrance/Exit opposite the Forty Steps. Exit CW here and walk west on Narragansett Ave until you reach Bellevue Ave where you'll find a bus stop. Board an inbound route #67 bus.

You can buy an all day bus pass here.

SBtS

I would do the Breakers Marble House and Cliff Walk in that order I would have an option of doing CW right after the Breakers depending on time available.

For transportation, walk one block north from the tender docks to the Newport Transportation Center where you would board a bus to the Breakers. A route #67 bus will take you to the Breakers Marble House, and Cliff Walk. Here is the schedule & map. When you board the bus, tell the driver you want to get off at the closest stop to the Breakers. After the Breakers, you could walk to Marble House, or use the outbound bus. There is a stop in front of MH

When done at MH, go north (right) as you exit and walk until you reach Marine Ave. Go east (right) on Marine until you reach the Entrance/Exit to Cliff Walk. Go north (left) on CW. You could go south but that would take you to the unimproved section of CW, not a pleasant walk.

Walk north on CW until you reach the Forty Steps, which will be on your right. There is an Entrance/Exit opposite the Forty Steps. Exit CW here and walk west on Narragansett Ave until you reach Bellevue Ave where you'll find a bus stop. Board an inbound route #67 bus.

SBtS

SBtS

Thanks so much for the detailed information. It is much appreciated.

Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8am and we want to be on board by 5pm. Luckily we have friends with us that have priority tendering which will allow us to get to shore quicker.

Based on on your input and assuming we go north on the Cliff Walk after the Marble House, how long would this take us from start to finish ? Also, do you know what time the Breaker and Marble House open ? D&N

Edited by D&N LUV 2 TRAVEL
additional information requested

SBtS

WOW! This is great information and highly detailed. I wish we had it last year when we did this route - it sure would have made things easier. This type of response is exactly what makes CC so valuable to us cruisers!