Food on Explorer

mrstanley

We just completed a 10 night Miami to Miami cruise on the Explorer. Our first time on this ship.

We have been on the other Regent ships many times. The ship is really gorgeous ! Now to the food.

Dined in Compass Rose three times. Was disappointed in the atmosphere as I felt the room was too

bright. Food was fair but the service was not. They had a hard time coordinating the courses. Not sure what was going on. Compass Rose on the other three ships have a better vibe and we experienced much better service and food.

Dined in Pacific Rim twice. Beautiful restaurant! The wait staff nice but very intrusive. We had a hard time getting them to get us wine...they wanted to take your order the moment you read the menu. Good choice of items on the menu. Food was ok.

We went to Chartreuse once. I ordered to lamb chops and my husband had the veal. Both meat dishes were not good. The lamb was tough and hard to cut. Veal wasn't good either. The service was

ok. We were not that impressed .

Dined at Prime 7 twice. Awful service both times! They also could not coordinate getting the food to

the table. Nothing worse than cold food. If Regent is going to have a steakhouse onboard they need to serve a better quality of meat. The NY Strip and Filet were inedible. If you eat in Mortons, The Palm

(NYC), Wolfgangs (NYC), Ruth Chris or Capital Grill or other top steakhouses in the USA you may be quite disappointed in the meat served in Prime 7...not only on the Explorer but also in the other ships.

The restaurant is gorgeous !

Wines: Disappointed in the red wines that were complimentary. We have had much better quality of wines on previous cruises. The ones we tried on this cruise were not good.

The food and service onboard a cruise depends on who is the Executive Chef and who the waitstaff happens to be when you cruise. Hopefully our next cruise will have better food and service.

So sorry you did not have a great dining experience on the Explorer. We have sailed twice on Explorer.

CR - usually a great dining room experience.

PR - we did have a problem last time. Asked for the manager. The rest of the meal was perfect, with everyone fawning all over us. Food is great.

P7 - steak can be hit or miss. Lucky the second time, we mentioned my first experience when we ordered. The chef came out to apologize. It compared to the best steakhouses. Don't bother with the Lobster. No taste.

C- first time an absolute miss. Longed for Signatures, which we loved. Last time absolute hit. Food and service impeccable.

So, as you see, we have had some minor problems. However, our overall dining experience aboard the Explorer is wonderful.

We have enjoyed the wines aboard.

Sheila

The food and service onboard a cruise depends on who is the Executive Chef and who the waitstaff happens to be when you cruise. Hopefully our next cruise will have better food and service.

Who was the Executive Chef?

J

Three out of four of our Explorer cruises have had excellent food and one has not. I don't remember the names but the Chef who was on the christening cruise and maiden voyage (think his name begins with an "A" is excellent. Maybe someone that is on the ship in the near future can post when they get onboard (not that it would help - we can't cancel cruises based upon the chef). On the other hand, I would not put a "bad" chef's name on a public board - even if I knew it -- as it really isn't fair to him. I would, however, put it down on my End of Cruise Comment card and would also write to the President of Regent, Jason Montague so that he is aware of the issues.

I know that it isn't Chef Kelly (the male - not the female Chef of the Culinary Center) as he was just on Mariner. I am wondering if there is one chef that changes ships and the food quality follows the chef (not said in a positive way). The Executive Chef on our September cruise was probably the worst since I have been on Regent.

Sorry to hear this! We have cruised Regent many times but never the Explorer. Will be on her next week. Sooooo disappointed to hear of bright lighting in Compass Rose. This will totally ruin it for me. Why the main dining room would not dim their lights is beyond me. Only thing I can figure is possibly that the number of geriatrics with poor eyesight was the catalyst.

Is there an area in CR that perhaps isn’t as bright ? If so it will be our ‘go to’ spot!

Sorry to hear this! We have cruised Regent many times but never the Explorer. Will be on her next week. Sooooo disappointed to hear of bright lighting in Compass Rose. This will totally ruin it for me. Why the main din

there an area in CR that perhaps isn’t as bright ? If so it will be our ‘go to’ spot![/quote

Greetings from South Beach, wowpeople. Greetings from South Beach. We were on Explorer for 12 days in December and dined in Compass Rose a few times. If we arrived early, the room was on the bright side. By the time we left, the lights had been lowered. One thing about that room, there are lots and lots of lights. I like them, especially the huge blue creation. Maybe DH and I spent too much time on Murano. We loved Oceania's Jacque and ate there often. Never a bad gastronomic moment. Not once. Still, we think the food on Explore is usually better then we've experienced on other ships, and the dining venues are all gorgeous. My favorite decor is Pacific Rim's. That Prayer Wheel is really something to see. Today, some genius monk might automate the wheels, turning them automatically.

Mary

Sorry to hear this! We have cruised Regent many times but never the Explorer. Will be on her next week. Sooooo disappointed to hear of bright lighting in Compass Rose. This will totally ruin it for me. Why the main din

there an area in CR that perhaps isn’t as bright ? If so it will be our ‘go to’ spot![/quote

Greetings from South Beach, wowpeople. Greetings from South Beach. We were on Explorer for 12 days in December and dined in Compass Rose a few times. If we arrived early, the room was on the bright side. By the time we left, the lights had been lowered. One thing about that room, there are lots and lots of lights. I like them, especially the huge blue creation. Maybe DH and I spent too much time on Murano. We loved Oceania's Jacque and ate there often. Never a bad gastronomic moment. Not once. Still, we think the food on Explore is usually better then we've experienced on other ships, and the dining venues are all gorgeous. My favorite decor is Pacific Rim's. That Prayer Wheel is really something to see. Today, some genius monk might automate the wheels, turning them automatically.

Mary

Try Pacific Rim’s shrimp. Delicious and huge!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow. Were we on the same ship? Tastes differ and ordering the "right" items can make for a great experience, just as ordering the "wrong" items can ruin a dinner. The trouble is, of course, how does one determine which is which? This was our first cruise on Regent after about 70 on other lines. All I can say is we didn't have a bad meal, although our two excursions in Chartreuse were, perhaps, closer to average than excellent. I guess if I wanted to be picky, I would say I don't need the sommelier asking what wine I wanted when I haven't even decided what I wanted to eat. But I would have to be really picky to make that complaint.

Note that I am not claiming all was perfect; there was too long a wait between courses in Compass Rose several nights, and we had a rather haughty waitress in Chartreuse one night. The red wine was not great one time and finding a suitable sauvignon blanc was difficult on another occasion. But I chalk these up to matters of taste, not necessarily inferior products. Any cruise line which provides gorgonzola to accompany its polenta is aces with me, especially since MSC couldn't.

I'm sorry the OP was not impressed, but our experience was quite the opposite. So much so, that I spent a good portion of today investigating our next cruise on Regent and wondering if we should cancel two cruises we've booked on another line.

It must differ from cruise to cruise. We were on Explorer in December and enjoyed excellent food and menu and mostly excellent service.

+ One, we were on the ship in Nov/Dec and had nothing but great food and service. Now looking forward to our April cruise coming up. Rick

Interesting response to Chartreuse, we are first on the Explorer this April, but have not booked a Chartreuse meal having been very disappointed both by the quality and the choice on the Voyager last summer. We found compass rose to be far better, especially with the new menu, such a wide choice. Equally we found prime7 to be as usual superb. Looking forward to Pacific Rim on the Explorer and have to visit Sette Mari ,where we have had super food especially on the al fresco area

We sailed Explorer a month ago. I think that recall that the Exec Chef was Aurelian but not positive. We enjoyed the CR menus and our service there was 'good enough' vs. excellent. We loved Chartreuse, food and service and enjoyed PR and P7. The only tough or tasteless piece of beef that we encountered was one night in CR.

I did find that food was frequently not hot enough and that condiments came after it was served, causing a delay. Yes, I wrote it on my comment card.

Was it Exec Chef Aurelian?

J

Yes - that is him. Excellent Chef!!

Also want to mention what I have been told by Executive Chef's on Regent in the past about steaks. They could have the best steak in the world but it would not taste as good on a ship as when prepared on a restaurant on land due to the equipment (stoves, etc.) that are required on cruise ships. There are no "gas" flames (or any type of flames) in a cruise line kitchen. IMO, this makes quite a difference.

I was on this Miami - Miami sailing as well, my take would be:

CR - Agree on lighting and overall service/food. We ended up only eating in CR for dinner once because of this. I did have breakfast each day in CR and had no complaints though.

P7 - Love the setting, I wish this was how CR was laid out. As far as food, the filet i had was average, not something up to any high quality steak house. But.. I did have a Rib Eye another night, that came out undercooked at first, but once corrected was EXCELLENT. TC is correct about the equipment the ship uses to cook, but I did take a Argentinian style grilling class on Explorer, and Chef Anne showed us and confirmed with a tasting :) how to correctly cook a steak on board.

Chartreuse - I had a better meal on Explorer than I did on Voyager, but here again I don’t think this venue will make any decent French restaurant in NYC worried over competition.

Pacific Rim - Dined here three times. Service was up and down. They certainly were trying, but on repeated nights we were asked three times if we wanted a drink, gave our order and it still took 20 min to get. Very frustrating.

Actually the best dinner I think we had was in Sette Mari seated outside, and arrived late enough that we were one of the last tables.

As for writing to Jason, he actually was on this cruise till St. Lucia (he had to get off to take his son to the Super Bowl). I did feel like the first few days the staff was a bit more tightly wound with him and some other Regent executives being on board.

We agree on Compass Rose, though the back rooms are quieter and less bright and the special orders were very well-prepared.

Pacific Rim was our favorite restaurant on Explorer. Best Service and food.

Prime 7 was in second place. Very good service and steaks and lobster.

We love sitting outside at Sette Mari on a warm night when they have the pounded Veal Milanese,

Chartreuse is our least favorite Explorer restaurant. Trying to be too avant- garden with their preparations. We much prefer Jacques on the Oceania “O” ships. That being said, Chartreuse’s steak tartare with caviar is my favorite appetizer on the ship!

And ....... we love CR on the Explorer. Since we tend to sail during the fall and winter months, it is already dark outside when we dine. Also like the blue chandelier but the table is too big below it -- difficult to talk to most of the other people at the table.

Our second favorite dining venue is Chartreuse followed by Pacific Rim. P-7 is our least favorite (most of the time - sometimes Pacific Rim drops into last place).

While we like Sette Mari on the Mariner, we did not care for it on Explorer (and always dine inside since it temperature controlled.

This just shows how we all have individual tastes - likes and dislikes:halo:

P.S. Agree about Jacques on Oceania - it is our favorite restaurant at sea!

I dont like the Compass Rose venue in Explorer. Agree with the OP that its too bright, it reminds me of a banquet hall at a convention center. The area towards the back, with the lower ceiling is a bit more cozy. I'll see if I warm up to it on my upcoming cruise which starts on Monday!

On our first night in Pacific Rim on the Explorer I ordered the soft shell crab appetizer. It was excellent. Before my main course was delivered, I asked the waitress if I might have a second order of the crabs, even if it was delivered after the main course. The second order was equal to the first. On our second foray in PR I benefited from my first experience and ordered a double serving of the crab right off the bat. I hope they're available on next month's TA. They are that good.and, as my wife won't touch them, I don't have to share even a bite! :)

I dont like the Compass Rose venue in Explorer. Agree with the OP that its too bright, it reminds me of a banquet hall at a convention center. The area towards the back, with the lower ceiling is a bit more cozy. I'll see if I warm up to it on my upcoming cruise which starts on Monday!

Totally agree. Enjoy your next cruise.

In CR- try to get a table near the window area. Not necessarily next to the window. We always sit there. It's quiet. Also, in the rear with the lower ceiling. It seems only bright in the center.

In PR - order the fried lobster. It's the best.

Sheila

Agree with you about tables in CR (and intensely dislike tables in the back with the super low ceiling). Wasn't aware that Pacific Rim had "fried lobster". We usually get lobster tempera. Will have to try fried lobster next year!

Speaking of food, I had a problem with swelling , as I usually do on any cruise line. It seemed to be worse on the Explorer, though, to the point where I had to struggle to put on a shoe and a ring which usually is a bit loose was fitting perfectly. Some of this I bring on myself, as I am a glutton for cheese and there was plenty to be had. I tried to drink lots of water and on the next cruise I'll try sweating it out. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. What do others do?