Skagway - Train and bike tour - anyone with experience?

JC in CA

Hi-

We are debating booking a train and bike tour in Skagway.

http://www.cyclealaska.com/white-pass-train-and-bike-tour

Has anyone done this, and if so, what was your experience?

We have driven to Emerald Lake, so we have been on the road in the past. Just wondering how it is on a bike with cars and buses passing.

thanks for any info!

-Jerie

I haven't done it because I'm not particularly interested. It's a busy highway with a lot of traffic, including busses and motorhomes. If it's raining which it often is, I look at those poor people biking down the road in the rain and feel sorry for them. I like to bike and used to bike around Europe, but this trip just does not appeal. I'd rather spend the day in the Yukon, go to Lake Bennett and Carcross, hike and float the Chilkoot trail, do a wildlife tour in Haines.... There's a lot to choose from in Skagway.

Of course the mountain bike tour or the bike and brew tour in Juneau is another story....

I was looking at a similar tour on Princess..Klondike Summit to Sea Bicycle Tour.. You drive up in a van and bike down...I'm going on the first cruise of the season and I will be in Skagway on May 1..it doesn't looke like there are that many bike tours up for that early in the season..but I am considering booking through Princess

I was looking at a similar tour on Princess..Klondike Summit to Sea Bicycle Tour.. You drive up in a van and bike down...I'm going on the first cruise of the season and I will be in Skagway on May 1..it doesn't looke like there are that many bike tours up for that early in the season..but I am considering booking through Princess

There could be snow up there. I have seen snow farther North from there mid-May.

I didn't do it, but I spoke to a couple on our ship who did. It is a downhill trip on a two-lane highway - the same highway that the tour buses and all the other tourist traffic use. They found the ride stressful and not much chance to enjoy the scenery. They said that if they had understood the nature of the trip they wouldn't have taken it.

There are some photos here:

You can see that this isn't a road with bike lanes and not much if any paved shoulder

I didn't do it, but I spoke to a couple on our ship who did. It is a downhill trip on a two-lane highway - the same highway that the tour buses and all the other tourist traffic use. They found the ride stressful and not much chance to enjoy the scenery. They said that if they had understood the nature of the trip they wouldn't have taken it.

There are some photos here:

You can see that this isn't a road with bike lanes and not much if any paved shoulder

Thank you!

Definitely finding something else to do!

• 1 month later...

Hey, JC in CA. Did you look at reviews on TripAdvisor? There are only 5, but they all loved it. I also found an ad video from the company running the tour on YouTube, and another from a person who took it. It didn't look as bad as the comments from the people who wouldn't take it as noted above. Just more thoughts for you

Some people are more comfortable riding in that situation than others. If you click the photos tab on the tour's website, you can see photos that show the road width & shoulder.

I wouldn't be comfortable riding down that road. Decide for yourself, of course.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app