silver seas vs oceania or seabourn

rln44

We are considering a Vietnam cruise on the Silver Shadow next November. We are longtime Celebrity cruisers but have been transitioning over the last few years to Oceania and Seabourn. How does the Silver Shadow compare to these two lines? Have read a few comments that the Shadow is about due for refurbishment. Although air fare is included it is economy. When I quizzed a silver seas rep about upgrading to business, he quoted an approximate price of $4000 per passenger (from LAX). I can book a similar cruise on Celebrity for a suite including dining in the suite restaurant, premium wine pkg, gratuities, and internet and laundry and business class flight for substantially less. I hate to be cheap but is the experience on Silver Seas really going to be worth several thousand dollars more?

I haven’t sailed on Seabourn, but we have over 200 days on Regent, about 100 on Silversea, and have done 2 Oceania Cruises. Regent and Silversea are really about the same as far as your cabin, the food and beverage. Oceania’s basic cabins are much smaller, they even have inside cabins, but their food is right up there. Alcoholic drinks are not included on Oceania, and tips are extra. When we sail on Oceania, we go for a higher grade cabin, while on Regent or Silversea, the least expensive is fine for us.

Oceania is more informal, good food and service with a younger passenger demographic. Regent in my experience is more sedate, great food and service and caters to a senior citizen demographic. Silversea appears to be somewhere between the two. On our present cruise there is a broader age range and passengers are more international. The food is very good and so is the service, though not as polished as Regent.

We have done more Seabourn than Silversea. They are very similar so it's a subjective thing. If a small ship is is very important, then go with Silversea. We prefer the smaller ships and like the Silver Shadow - but have also got used to the slightly larger Seabourn Odyssey and like it very much. We are more used to Seabourn so it's likely to remain our first choice, but we will certainly sail Silversea again. It's just slightly more old fashioned and a bit more 'homely' than Seabourn. I don't think you would be disappointed with either, so just go for the best deal.