Passport middle names

BoPeep7

I know that this has been asked 1 million times, but I'm only seeing answers from 4-9 years ago or maybe even older. When I made the reservation for Royal Caribbean, I accidentally used our middle initials. But our full names are on all of our passports. I have two middle names, as do both of my daughters. All our first and last names match exactly. Will this be an issue? I keep reading differing opinions. When I spoke to Royal Caribbean today, they said just to change it at the check-in. I'm hoping that will suffice. It has been years since I have cruised or flown (since the kids) and I definitely don't want to be turned away at the port..., or the airlines for that matter. I have read some people have a problem ( the minority i believe).

Our experience has been that your real issue will be with the airline(s) if you use your passports for identification at check in and you are flying internationally. You can use your Driver License for domestic air travel but those rules changed on Jan 22, 2018 for certain states.

See this article: http://www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/no-drivers-license-tsa-rule

Check with your airline for specific details.

My passport has my middle initial only. I never use it on my cruise bookings. Ive flown with tickets that were booked with my middle name spelled out (were booked by someone else) without any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks all. I called the airlines and made sure they had the info even though it doesn't show on my tickets. I thought they'd have to reissue and charge me. They said I'd have no problems, and hopefully they're right! Thanks again. :)

Thanks all. I called the airlines and made sure they had the info even though it doesn't show on my tickets. I thought they'd have to reissue and charge me. They said I'd have no problems, and hopefully they're right! Thanks again. :)

Whoever told you that will not be the airline's agent at the airport.

For international travel, the name that appears on your passport is what should be the name on your ticket. You may want to look at the fine print on that e-ticket. Most airlines specifically state that the names much match "exactly."

I recently had this issue with a ticket issued by Asiana in which they erroneously used our middle initials rather than our middle names. It took several phone calls and some "al dente" pressuring but, they finally changed the names to match the passports without any "reissue" charges.

Middles names don't need to be on your cruise booking or on airline tickets.

For domestic air travel within the US, it is true that middle names are less of an issue than with international travel. In fact, the TSA website has a FAQ regarding it.

However, SOME airlines (as well as the TSA) are very specific and much more stringent when international travel is considered. TSA "secure flight" regulations changed everything:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/help/myaccount.aspx

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

I’m not going to argue about middle names. I know of only one foreign carrier that requires them to be on the booking.

For everyone else, including TSA, you are not going to be denied boarding because you didn’t include your middle name,

:rolleyes: Well I started stressing again about it, but I'm just praying things will work out. We are flying internationally to Vancouver from Nashville. Were using Southwest for the trip out, and flying back from Anchorage on Alaskan Airlines for the trip back. I wouldn't think flying into Canada would be as strict as most other places but if someone knows differently, let me know. I have read different situations, with most of the time it working out fine. I will surely know better next time .

:rolleyes: Well I started stressing again about it, but I'm just praying things will work out. We are flying internationally to Vancouver from Nashville. Were using Southwest for the trip out, and flying back from Anchorage on Alaskan Airlines for the trip back. I wouldn't think flying into Canada would be as strict as most other places but if someone knows differently, let me know. I have read different situations, with most of the time it working out fine. I will surely know better next time .

Sorry, that was supposed to say WestJet, not Southwest!

I travel regularly internationally (ASEAN/Australasia Region, and to EU once) and just used my first and last (Nicholas as opposed to Nick) on my tickets with no issues (I have two more Chinese names after my last name).

My full name is Nicholas Mxxx Nxxx Cxxx Cxxx, but Nicholas Nxxx is sufficient for most forms of ID, including my work. If I were to write a Statutory Declaration, obviously my full full name is all written down.

The rules are, name on ID and reservation much match. If they do not, you could be denied boarding.

Will you? Maybe, maybe not.

Best case, get things to match.

I have issues due to being a Jr. And not all systems can deal with that. So for airlines, I am XXXXXjr as a last name.

Ex had 4 names. Used her maiden middle name instead of first, added my last name. Her Fed ID did not have her legal first name, but passport did. Had a couple of interesting conversations with airlines, but she did get on every flight.

There should be no change fee for fixing names on reservations, airline or cruise.

Personally, I would make sure they fully match. Just less headaches and worries.

You shouldn't have an issue with the ship. They aren't NEARLY as stringent as TSA. No, seriously, it's almost laughable. I have 2 VERY long middle names and my DL can't even handle it all, though my passport does have the whole thing. Usually it gets cut off if I try. If in doubt, I leave them both out or only use my initials so I can explain should they ask, but even with airlines I've never had an issue.

My daughters have 2 middle names on their passports but the cruise ticketing system doesn't have enough room for both. So on our last cruise, we have been on several with this cruise line, they got flagged as having having an issue because the names didnt match and the checkin agent had to get a supervisor to override the issue. Seemed like they were used to doing that override and it was only a few minutes but was a source of stress for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk