Prince William Sound Excursion from Copper River Princess Lodge.

RL30

I don't know what the current situation is, but in the past few years it's been difficult to get close to Columbia Glacier because of all the ice in the water. Do you take the smaller boat from Valdez to Whittier to board the ship? If so, that would be a nice cruise and I'd skip spending $400 to go see Columbia. Your cruise ship will go to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. If you get to Whittier early enough (noon) the 26 Glacier Cruise is really good.

We will travel from Copper River to Kenai Wilderness lodge by motor coach as part of our land tour and then on to Whittier to board the ship. I will look into the tour out of Whittier to see if that may work for us. I was not sure if there would be time for that on embarkation day. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Forums mobile app

Is that excursion to Columbia Glacier worth it? So subjective, but one question to ask is how long of an excursion is it? From the Copper River Princess to Valdez is a fairly long drive, but on a nice day the views from Thompson Pass are spectacular. Also, does the drive stop at Worthington Glacier? Worthington is located just off of the Richardson Hwy, but can't be seen from the road. Also, do you know who the vendor providing the Prince William Sound cruise would be? Stan Stephens Glacier Cruises (that may not be the exact company name, but I've spelled Stan's last name correctly) is one of the major vendors operating out of Valdez. Stan, the original owner, died several years ago, but the company continues to have an excellent reputation. It has been years since we have gone out to Columbia, but two summers ago we took the SSGC trip out to Meares Glacier, and had a wonderful time. Just google the company name to find their website which will have a number of photos on it. And finally, what other options from the Copper River Princess sound interesting to you; we have stayed at the Copper River Princess, and it is isolated.

We will travel from Copper River to Kenai Wilderness lodge by motor coach as part of our land tour and then on to Whittier to board the ship. I will look into the tour out of Whittier to see if that may work for us. I was not sure if there would be time for that on embarkation day. Thanks for the input.

Hello, are you doing the SB8 connoisseur tour?

Yes, we start in Fairbanks on June 29th and sail on Golden on July 7th.

So am I!!! I’m starting from Fairbanks on July 26, wanted to be in Fairbanks for an extra day to do an arctic circle flight. Sailing on the golden from August 4 - 11! So excited for this! Best cruisetour ever!

I happen to like sailing the Columbia Glacier, as it's not as much for the actual glacier but also for the ice. Huge masses, that are building size. However- I would not be so keen to take this from the Copper River Lodge because of the transit distance. Since you are there, I'd suggest getting to Kennicott/McCarthy which is spectacular. I always have flown in. .

I'd suggest you see if Princess lists a PWS tour out of Whittier. I kind of doubt it will be available as they would have to have you through the 11:30a tunnel, at the latest.