Aaack! So much information!

Dhodgson-6

My husband and I, along with his 80 yr. old parents are sailing (first time for all of us!) from Seward to Vancouver July 1st. We are on the Westerdam Veranda Deck with rooms toward the back of the ship.

1. Will there be alot of noise?

2. Should we make dinner reservations or just do regular dining?

3. Are all the meals free?

4. What is the happy hour deal?

Thanks to any and all that can offer any advise. I realize these are basic questions but I can't seem to find where I've seen them answered before. We are getting very excited!! AND overwhelmed:o

Come on over to the Holland America board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

for all the info you will ever need. That is where you will see your questions discussed daily.

1. Shouldn't be a lot of noise.

2. That is up to you. Can't answer for you as we don't know you.

3. There are two extra charge restaurants...the Pinnacle. Really good steak type place. and Canaletto, an Italian restaurant. All other food is included.

4. The Happy Hour deal can vary, but I believe the current one is buy one, get the second for $2.

JMO -- but I would make at least 1 dinner reservation for the Pinnacle Grill -- special meal for a special first cruise for all of you.

We have sailed quite a few times on the Westerdam and love her.

The Happy Hour is from 4 - 5 in the Ocean Bar and Crow's Nest. And there will be one later in the evening in another area of the ship.

Check the daily program When and Where for the exact times and places.

It is buy one drink and get the second one for $2. Must be the same drink.

There is no happy hour on embarkation day.

Re Your Question #2:

As a foursome, if you chose a fixed dining time, it is probable that you would be assigned to a 4 top in the Main Dining Room. If you are comfortable with dining with other guests each evening of your cruise, consider Open Dining (although you could still request a 4 top just for yourselves). If you request fixed seating and want to dine with other guests, request a larger table than a table for 4. Just be aware that a fixed seating table assignment with other guests results in the same people dining with you each evening.

As CruiserBruce stated, not knowing your family and you, one has to decide what is best for your own party.

I second Krazy Kruisers' advice of booking the Pinnacle Grill for a special "first cruise dinner". The PG on the Westerdam is a lovely restaurant; request a table well within the interior of the restaurant in order to avoid the potential noise/confusion that can be experienced from the Atrium when one is seated at a table near that location.

Good wishes for a wonderful cruise for your family!