Rio to Barcelona news

Phillygirl3

For those of you joining us on this trip, I just read that the military has been called in to help with security in Rio. This action has garnered mixed results and I trying to decide if their military presence makes me feel more secure or less. As my brother tells me, in Israel, military presence is a part of life and while it looks a little intimidating, he said it provided a source of comfort for him.

Thank you for your post as I feel that it is a very important one and I hope that posters will pay attention. While I wish that Rio were more safe, we understand how precarious the situation is there. Hopefully the extra security will help. Also wish that everyone onboard the ship would pay attention to the security warnings (no jewelry - nothing obvious on your person that could be snatched, etc.)

Unfortunately, after visiting about 100 countries and even more cities in the world, we find Rio the most troublesome!

We’re currently booked on a TA from Capetown to Rio in Jan ‘19 and it now looks like work commitments will force us to choose another itinerary...as much as I was looking forward to this TA, I have to admit I’m a little bit relieved that we won’t have to deal with the BS in Rio.

We had a cruise booked a few years back that was supposed to disembark in Istanbul but Regent changed it to Haifa due to unrest in Turkey. From what I’m reading here, Istanbul was a walk in the park compared to what’s going on in Rio right now. If all of the posts here are accurate I wouldn’t be a bit surprised to see Regent re-route some of these cruises if things don’t improve...

The current news is quite frightening. Here is a link - I would heck out the articles from this week.

security in Rio de janeiro

Bill - sorry that you may have to cancel your cruise but Rio, as beautiful as it can be, is likely not a good choice for now. If/when you want to see South Africa (which I highly recommend), I would do the Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary.

Just Googled news for Rio ankle it's scary. Not sure that any tourists should be visiting three.

We'll be on the Rio to Barcelona cruise too and are in Rio now at the Miramar Hotel on Copacabana Beach. On the way from the airport to the hotel, we did see some military. This area doesn't seem scary and the beach is beautiful.

The hotel told us not to take much money to the beach and leave jewelry behind in the safe. As in any city, be aware of your surroundings.

What we've seen so far isn't as bad as what we've seen in Kenya, Israel, Egypt, and Indonesia.

Use common sense.

We'll be on the Rio to Barcelona cruise too and are in Rio now at the Miramar Hotel on Copacabana Beach. On the way from the airport to the hotel, we did see some military. This area doesn't seem scary and the beach is beautiful.

The hotel told us not to take much money to the beach and leave jewelry behind in the safe. As in any city, be aware of your surroundings.

Not sure that information from hotel employees is very accurate for two reasons: 1). They want people to feel safe - even if is not or they will lose even more tourism, and 2) Reportedly, people have things stolen from their hotel safes all of the time!

What we've seen so far isn't as bad as what we've seen in Kenya, Israel, Egypt, and Indonesia.

Use common sense.

From what I've read, most of the world does not view Rio as "any city". Barcelona and Rome are rated on the internet as the top pick pocketing cities in the world (not counting on purpose). In both cities, you may have your belongings taken and need to take precautions. However, in Rio when they slash your shoulder bag with a knife, they don't care if you are hurt. It is a whole different mindset.

Unfortunately, it seems that too many people ignore the warnings and too many people wish that they had.

Note: We have been to Israel, Egypt and Indonesia and they don't hold a candle to Rio.

Bill - sorry that you may have to cancel your cruise but Rio, as beautiful as it can be, is likely not a good choice for now. If/when you want to see South Africa (which I highly recommend), I would do the Cape Town to Cape Town itinerary.

Jackie - we don’t look at it as cancelling so much as just rescheduling. I know we’re gonna go somewhere, it’s just a question of where and when.

I loved the Cape Town - Cape Town itinerary but that didn’t fit our work schedule, either. :( No worries - I’m sure we’ll find something we love before it’s all said and done.

Unfortunately, it seems that too many people ignore the warnings and too many people wish that they had.

Correcting above sentence to read: Unfortunately, it seems that too many people ignore the warning and too many people wish that they heeded them.

We arrived in Rio this morning. We're staying at PortoBay Rio in Copacabana, as we did five years ago. We saw a few military personnel out on Av. Atlantico today, but the area doesn't seem to be any different than when we were here in 2013.

We arrived in Rio this morning. We're staying at PortoBay Rio in Copacabana, as we did five years ago. We saw a few military personnel out on Av. Atlantico today, but the area doesn't seem to be any different than when we were here in 2013.

Interesting because we were in Rio before the Olympics and it was dramatically different than when we were there previously (around 2013). The "tourist" area was cleaned up - about 90% less graffiti. However, according to all reports, since the Olympics, Rio has been more dangerous than ever. There may not be a huge military presence but the gangs are still there!

Stay safe!

Greetings, Everyone, from South Beach. Regarding Rio, fear of the police has been a major concern for years. A Brazilian friend of ours owns a unit in our condo and brings his family whenever he can. The family business is a factory, not in Rio, although he has to travel there for business. He says that crime is a serious problem everywhere in Brazil, but Rio is the worst. In a climate like that, it is no surprise that people like our friend fortify their homes and businesses. He told me that he would not recommend anyone go to Rio unless it is absolutely necessary.

Mary

Interesting because we were in Rio before the Olympics and it was dramatically different than when we were there previously (around 2013). The "tourist" area was cleaned up - about 90% less graffiti. However, according to all reports, since the Olympics, Rio has been more dangerous than ever. There may not be a huge military presence but the gangs are still there!

Stay safe!

Had no problem today. Took Uber from Copacabana to Santa Teresa. Walked the area, then down the Escadaria Selaron into Lapa, then walked into downtown Rio. Tons of tourists out and about. Police around some areas, but no military. Took the metro back from downtown to Copacabana. We never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at any time.

Had no problem today. Took Uber from Copacabana to Santa Teresa. Walked the area, then down the Escadaria Selaron into Lapa, then walked into downtown Rio. Tons of tourists out and about. Police around some areas, but no military. Took the metro back from downtown to Copacabana. We never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at any time.

With all due respect (and I am happy that you have not had any unfortunate incidents), In my opinion, it is better for people to be overly cautious than assume that they can do what you are doing and that nothing will happen. Nothing happened to me either but it does to thousands of other people.

We are in Rio off Copocabana Beach and whilst theres a few police around theres no problems

It just needs people to be darn sensible

Do not wear jewellry or watches

Have a safety pocket inside your shorts or trousersfor a little money or a credit card and only sweets in the outside accesible pockets

Looking fwd to rejoining Regent on Sunday ...we left it in Beunos Aries to go to Iguassu Falls

We have been in Santa Teresa last few days. Took a local tour yesterday. We take taxis at night, walk everywhere during the day, have been met with kindness and courtesy everywhere. There are some wonderful artists in Santa Teresa, and some fabulous restaurants. There is a tram that tourists take from that goes up to Santa Teresa from the centre during the day... very picturesque.

We have been in Santa Teresa last few days. Took a local tour yesterday. We take taxis at night, walk everywhere during the day, have been met with kindness and courtesy everywhere. There are some wonderful artists in Santa Teresa, and some fabulous restaurants. There is a tram that tourists take from that goes up to Santa Teresa from the centre during the day... very picturesque.

We have had a similar experience - have not felt there were any security issues in all of the areas we’ve been and we’ve been out and about in several areas during the day and in the evenings. We have just taken the usual precautions we would in any place where there is a big gap between the rich and poor and have stayed out of the favelas. We really don’t understand all of the concern about Rio - we have enjoyed it.

We have had a similar experience - have not felt there were any security issues in all of the areas we’ve been and we’ve been out and about in several areas during the day and in the evenings. We have just taken the usual precautions we would in any place where there is a big gap between the rich and poor and have stayed out of the favelas. We really don’t understand all of the concern about Rio - we have enjoyed it.

We agree! Had a lovely day and in the evening walked from Ipanema back to Copacabana and enjoyed the street scene along the way. Lots of people out strolling (singles, couples, groups, dog walkers, etc.)

Seems like there were quite a few people who did Rio precruise but no one is posting about the cruise. Is there a problem? Or did no one survive Rio. Just wondering.

Edited by CBWIR

Seems like there were quite a few people who did Rio precruise but no one is posting about the cruise. Is there a problem? Or did no one survive Rio. Just wondering.

Is anyone on the ship yet? Just curious. In terms of Rio, there are obviously dramatic differences in people's opinions of the city. We have been to many places but Rio tops the list of places that freak us out. Other people feel that way about places like Barcelona and Rome but we are not concerned in either city. Just hope that people take precautions and at least do not wear jewelry, flash money, carry cameras, etc.

Is anyone on the ship yet? Just curious. In terms of Rio, there are obviously dramatic differences in people's opinions of the city. We have been to many places but Rio tops the list of places that freak us out. Other people feel that way about places like Barcelona and Rome but we are not concerned in either city. Just hope that people take precautions and at least do not wear jewelry, flash money, carry cameras, etc.

I think everyone knows your opinion of Rio. Was really looking for opinions of the Mariner and the cruise. The cruise started several days ago.