ISO Sundew plant--Ketchikan excursion

Dev'sMom

Hi all,

My 8yo son is interested in carnivorous plants. I'm going to look for areas here in NJ where they may be found, as well as botanical gardens. He's excited to do a nature walk in Ketchikan that will allow him to see Sundews. We'll be on HAL in late June. One HAL Ketchikan excursion specifically names seeing the Sundew. Will we see them on any other excursion? I can't tell if these other excursions go to places that we may view them. Ketchikan is my preferred port for this search, since we don't have a packed day unlike in Haines and Juneau. Here's the excursions I'm thinking about:

1. Rain Forest Canoe & Nature Trail--this one singles out the Sundew. Canoe Lake Harriett Hunt (I think), but I don't know exactly which area/island the short nature walk is

2. Rain Forest Island Adventure--Seahawk rigid hull inflatable vessel to Betton Island. Sundews there?

3. Backcountry Jeep & Canoe Safari--(bumpy) Jeep on Revillagigedo Island, then canoe on Lake Harriett Hunt to somewhere for a short nature walk...any Sundews there?

4. Alaska Rain Forest Sanctuary, Raptor Center, & Totems--guided nature hike at an exclusive reserve located in the forested mount

ains at rustic Herring Cove...Sundews?

5. Wildlife Safari & Beach Bonfire--water-jet powered vessel to a remote island, not sue which one

Thanks for providing your advice again!

It appears that Wildlife Safari & Beach Bonfire is provided by Allen Marine. From the description, I would say no to sundews, but call or email and ask: 1-877-686-8100; ketchikaninfo@allenmarine.com

Backcountry Jeep & Canoe Safari looks like basically the same tour as Rain Forest Canoe & Nature Trail (the one that mentions sundew plants), except with driving a jeep added.

Alaska Rain Forest Sanctuary has a list of flora to be seen; doesn't list sundew, but that might be an oversight.

http://www.alaskarainforest.com/pages/nature_plantlife.htm

I was going to say that the Rain Forest Island Adventure on Betton Island didn't appear to have the correct ecosystem for swamp plants, but then another website mentioned that most of the path was a boardwalk.

My advice? Call the vendors directly (or email) and ask. Even if someone here in the past saw them on a past tour, that tour could be changed enough to not see them this year. I own a piece of property where sundews grow. I can't always get to that part of the swamp because of too much moisture, and in a dry year I can't even find them. Good luck finding the information. I have a nephew who loved carniverous plants at that age. I bought every carniverous plant I could find for him. He is in his 30s now and that interest has now blossomed in all of botany.

LL FREE: 1-877-686-8100

LL

FREE: 1-877-686-8100

I have hiked around Ketchikan and don't remember seeing any sundews, but then I wasn't particularly looking for them. I have seen sundews in Haines on the Chilkoot wilderness and wildlife tour. You hike through the forest to an open meadow where there are plenty of sundews, but it sounds like you have plans for Skagway already.

I would contact the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center run by the Forest Service and Fish and Wildlife and ask them if they know of any likely spots near Ketchikan.

mytime53, Thank you for your thorough reply! Great idea--I've initiated contact with the Alaska Rain Forest Sanctuary, awaiting their reply. I'm keeping Rain Forest Canoe & Nature Trail on my list since they specifically mention it, and will contact them after I hear back from the Sanctuary. We'll hold off on booking any one tour just yet; plus I want to try to make time for Totem Bight. That was awesome of you to foster your nephew's interests! I'm trying to do the same for my son. He also loves rocks--can't wait to show him the beautiful ones in Alaska!

wolfie11, maybe we will be lucky to see a Sundew in Haines (where our ship will port). In the morning we're doing the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari, and in the afternoon we're doing the Tukshanuk Mountain Trail 4x4. We plan to go the the SE Alaska Discovery Center when in Ketchikan, so we'll check with them, too.