Transatlantic Voyage

m1k2s3

My husband and I are considering a transatlantic voyage in April 2019 on the Marina, New York to London. My question is for those who may have done a transatlantic at that time of year - what were the conditions (ie. big swells, etc) I’m a bit of a nervous Nellie and my husband is more of a risk taker. Any thoughts on your experience would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Right on. We did this cruise a few years ago and didn't have any rough weather. We did miss a couple of ports, however. I'm not sure if they will be on your itinerary or not since this does seem to change somewhat from year to year.

Mura

April 2016 Celebrity Reflection there was hardly a ripple on the water all the way across the Atlantic, the Captain had difficulty finding anything to say on his midday weather report.

April 2017 Oceania Riviera was a completley different story. There was a storm in the Atlantic so we had to miss the Azores and sailed at the edge of the storm. It was an interesting experience which showed how the stabilizers do their thing .

We have done many TAs in April, but not on the route you are going to take. We have done from Miami to Barcelona via the Caribbean or from Santos or Buenos Aires to Germany or Italy. We were lucky not to experience bad weather on any of our crossings.

The northern route from New York to London or viceversa we have done on the Queen Mary 2, which apparently is build for those ocean trips. April would be quite cold on that route, so you might have many people inside the ship. Like others have said, there is no guarantee about the weather, but it is important your election of the ship. Larger ships would handle much better than a small ship any rough seas. We would for that reason do not want to do a TA on R's ships or smaller.

Ivi

Hi M1,

The dining room is usually on the deck closest to the center of gravity of the ship.

An outside cabin amidships on deck 7 or and inside cabin on deck 8 should have the least motion.

Bon voyage.

((I))

So many 'still waters" experiences. We've twice taken the more southerly (and so supposedly less rough) Barcelona -> Miami. Both in mid November. On Marina, better weather and smoother seas and smoother sailing when rough. Regatta, some *great* sunny warm weather and a couple of days of very bad high seas. DW was almost two days in the cabin. Most pax and much of the crew not to be seen. GDR was almost empty, Cutlery draws slamming open and shut. Outer decks closed .

It is not just the size of the ship but the frequency against vessel length and direction. The captain will do what he can to minimize weather impact when possible

Granted that trip was more unusual. Just a different experience on a different sailing. How will yours be? We will have to wait until your get back and let us know.

As for your nervousness I am glad to read you are going for it. These ships sail those crossings back and forth every year. The captain and crew know what to do. A ship also has the advantage that they can often change course ahead of inclement weather to get around it as smoothly as possible. That TA was my first cruise. Once I had a couple days on board I had my sea legs and loved every minute of it. Hope you have a great time too.

It seems as though we cross the Atlantic each year in April, although most times it has been from Florida, and not from New York. Last year it was Ft. Lauderdale to Southampton, this year Lauderdale to LeHavre. And then we have crossed headed to the Med. Also crossed many times on the QM2. Weather is unpredictable. Bring some meds for motion sickness, if you are worried. Plain old dramamine works for me, even though it makes me feel drugged. Think of the extra motion as an amusement park ride. But then we have had April crossings with no motion and no drama.

My husband and I are considering a transatlantic voyage in April 2019 on the Marina, New York to London. My question is for those who may have done a transatlantic at that time of year - what were the conditions (ie. big swells, etc) I’m a bit of a nervous Nellie and my husband is more of a risk taker. Any thoughts on your experience would be very much appreciated.

The weather is the weather no way to tell in advance. As others have said, it can be flat calm....or a roller coaster. A number of years ago we did back to back transatlantic crossings, NY to Southampton and back. I remember the first week was miserable weather and high seas, the second week was like we were transported to another world, warm and mildly choppy seas!

First there is no risk....its totally safe and the ship is very seaworthy .

Second, no one here can tell you for sure what the conditions will be like...weather is best described as WHETHER.

You can determine what conditions will be like 72 hours prior to the day you will sail, and likewise for every day for the following days

. If your traveling by ship, anywhere, they are going to move as the motion of the ocean is always present . It thats an issue to you then maybe you might not enjoy cruising because it will never go away... Attitude has a great deal to do with being sick, I have seen people start the second the ship un ties from the pier and I have also seen people in 25 ft seas happy and can be.

So, if you want to go..forget about trying to time is or control your trip.... if the destination is great then go for it. If not, dont go.

Edited by Hawaiidan
typo

We did love our two Baltic cruises on Oceania but given your interests,profession and age Viking sounds like a good fit. Take a tour of one of the Viking ships on their website and then compare. We throw away the group tours...

way too structured for me canned tours with hundreds, food way too limited, and more expensive as well.... new is not always better.

We are booked on this cruise. Hoping for smooth cruising!

Did the crossing on Marina about 4 years ago,N.Y. to London end May to mid June and it was very good. Very calm. Just did Barcelona to Miami Beginning of Dec. on Marina and it was a great trip. Maybe one day a bunch of swells but no big deal. Like the crossings very much. Love being on the ship. :):):)

We have done a TA on Seabourn Legend from Miami to Malaga and enjoyed a warm smooth crossing at the same time Odyssey sailed 50 miles to the north of us and experienced rough seas One of their passengers experienced a nasty fall and had to airvac. On a larger ship such as Encore or Ovation should not be a problem. Cruise likely to be half full but will have a lecture programme and exercise classes. Pleanty of reading time !