Good mid priced hotel in auckland please????

portcbob

We always stay at Sky City or Sky City Grand. They have loads of restaurants on site and the hotels rooms are large and quiet. Just a $10 taxi ride down to the wharf. They also extend check out to 12pm on request and have free unlimited wifi.

I see what appears to be a good rate at the Skycity Grand or the Cordis by Langham. The Skycity Grand is $294 NZD and the Cordis by Langham is $248 NZD. Can anybody compare these hotels? Which has a better location? Which would you prefer? Any info is appreciated.

The Langham is lovely but the location is a bit on the outskirts of the cbd. If walking to restaurants (if you aren’t going to eat at the hotel) or wondering to the supermarket/ cinema etc is important the go for Sky city. If the location isn’t a deal breaker then the Langham is a worthy contender.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have stayed at the Langham and the Skycity (Grand’s sister hotel). The Langham is lovely but the its location is not the best. If you are doing some sightseeing in the center of town, you have to walk up a hill to return to the hotel. There is nothing of interest around the hotel and you would have to go back to the center of town for restaurants, etc. Skycity is a much better location and many sights and areas of interest are in walking distance, even the cruise port. Try the Skycity, usually the rates are less than the Grand and they are in the same complex.

• 4 months later...
Hi guys.

Need to spend 1 night in Auckland pre cruise. Can anyone please recommend a great mid range hotel with brekkie within easy access to the cruise port and restaurants. Budget is $200-250.

Thanks Bob.

We just booked for the night before at the Hilton on the water. It was $100 Cdn cheaper on Expedia than on the Hilton site. I have both Hilton Honors and CAA/AAA discounts. I hit the "chat" function and complained and they have a lowest price guarantee. I got the Expedia rate minus 25%! We are now trying the same thing on our other hotel reservations.

Viv

• 2 months later...
We stay at the Grand Mecure Auckland. Great central location and a short downhill walk to Queens Wharff.

We are staying there the night before we embark in AKL for our cruise in Jan. I have stayed there previously on a business trip, and noted how close it was to the wharf.

We have this night as a freebie thanks to our Accor membership :D We should be able to see our ship waiting for us from the breakfast restaurant!