Cost Comparisons

eliana

Once we were able to make cost comparisons between different itineraries on the same line and between different lines. Our criterium was how much per day or per week. We now find this very difficult as lines sometimes include flights and sometimes don’t, sometimes include excursions (like Regent ) and sometimes don’t, etc.

Has anyone any good and sustainable criteria? For example, with Regent and including excursions but excluding flights, what is reasonable per day or per week at the lowest level and we can then decide how much extra per day for higher cost suites. We think in £sterling, but presumably the same issues arise with US$.

In the end though, our criterion is if you like the cruise line, like the ship, like the itinerary and the dates are suitable go for it even if the cost seems high compared with other lines or cruises of the same line.

Once we were able to make cost comparisons between different itineraries on the same line and between different lines. Our criterium was how much per day or per week. We now find this very difficult as lines sometimes include flights and sometimes don’t, sometimes include excursions (like Regent ) and sometimes don’t, etc.

Has anyone any good and sustainable criteria? For example, with Regent and including excursions but excluding flights, what is reasonable per day or per week at the lowest level and we can then decide how much extra per day for higher cost suites. We think in £sterling, but presumably the same issues arise with US$.

In the end though, our criterion is if you like the cruise line, like the ship, like the itinerary and the dates are suitable go for it even if the cost seems high compared with other lines or cruises of the same line.

Our criterion is the same as yours (last sentence of post). I think that because likes (and must haves) and dislikes (or prefer not) are so personal it is impossible to have a $/night general criterion.

In my opinion, it is difficult - especially in the U.K. where you receive Business Class intra-European flights and Coach International flights (hope that I got that right - not including the current Business Class promotion).

For me, it is a bit easier because our TA has information on discounts (Seen Seas Society, Onboard Booking, Hotel and Air Credits) available on their website and these are also considerations. We recently looked at two identical itineraries except that one had a Seven Seas Society discount and the other did not.

Since you are able to do air credit for cruises, it is likely the best way to get a decent comparison. Wish that I could have helped more.

I'm looking for most value for buck. Sometimes I value the higher priced item, sometimes the lower. I always think back to the lesson used on my nephew. Buying bacon that was going to chopped up, cooked, and mixed into potato salad. He pointed out the high end center cut bacon. I pointed out the cheepo box of ends and bits. I pointed out that if I'm going to cut it into small pieces anyway, why not buy cheepo box? Why pay more? We wasn't really happy till I told him we'd by the expensive stuff if he paid the difference. He didn't want to. He got the lesson he didn't really value it more either. :-)

In my opinion, it is difficult - especially in the U.K. where you receive Business Class intra-European flights and Coach International flights (hope that I got that right - not including the current Business Class promotion).

Just to clarify.

Regent prices in the UK include economy class return flights. For cruises beginning and/or ending in Europe the prices for Penthouse Suites and above include business class return flights (with occasional exceptions).

Agree that the easiest way to make monetary comparisons is to use cruise-only fares and then make adjustments for excursions, drinks packages, internet etc

IMO, although Regent prices are high on many cruises, they still offer good value compared to other luxury lines.

I'm looking for most value for buck. Sometimes I value the higher priced item, sometimes the lower. I always think back to the lesson used on my nephew. Buying bacon that was going to chopped up, cooked, and mixed into potato salad. He pointed out the high end center cut bacon. I pointed out the cheepo box of ends and bits. I pointed out that if I'm going to cut it into small pieces anyway, why not buy cheepo box? Why pay more? We wasn't really happy till I told him we'd by the expensive stuff if he paid the difference. He didn't want to. He got the lesson he didn't really value it more either. :-)

Thank you for sharing that story - I enjoyed reading it!

I am so glad you’ve asked this question- this is something I am also struggling to understand and work out - on a monetary side. I do take others’ point about value vs price and totally get it too, but I would still like to be able to compare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I notice that the original poster's background is high end lines: Regent, Seabourn, Crystal, Tauck, etc. Comparing between these is a very different exercise than comparing the "luxury" lines to the lesser ones like Oceania, Azamara, Celebrity, etc.

I've not done the comparison for luxury lines, but would be surprised to see a huge difference.

Comparing luxury lines to non-luxury lines often leads to surprises once the "all-in" cost is calculated. The luxury lines sometimes turn out to compare very favorably to the "cheaper ones" when everything is included in the calculation. But the luxury lines have more staff per passenger, more space per passenger, etc. etc.

I believe that elaina only wants to compare Regent cruises. However, I have compared luxury cruises in the past and take out air when applicable (as you know, most luxury lines do not include air and if they have a promotion, it isn't Business Class). I also consider any other costs such as dining in some specialty restaurants on Silversea or Crystal when they "may*" charge you if you want to dine in a specialty restaurant more than once.

The most difficult thing to calculate is excursions since we don't know how much Regent is charging us for included excursions (or even the discounts on Regent Choice excursions). I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is to learn excursion costs on other luxury lines but do know that Silversea's excursions are quite a bit more $$$ than Regent Choice excursions. And, if you enjoy excursions, you need to plan for these costs that can be significant.

*Not sure if Crystal is still charging for a second reservation in their specialty restaurants but they were a while ago.

I believe that elaina only wants to compare Regent cruises. However, I have compared luxury cruises in the past and take out air when applicable (as you know, most luxury lines do not include air and if they have a promotion, it isn't Business Class). I also consider any other costs such as dining in some specialty restaurants on Silversea or Crystal when they "may*" charge you if you want to dine in a specialty restaurant more than once.

The most difficult thing to calculate is excursions since we don't know how much Regent is charging us for included excursions (or even the discounts on Regent Choice excursions). I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is to learn excursion costs on other luxury lines but do know that Silversea's excursions are quite a bit more $$$ than Regent Choice excursions. And, if you enjoy excursions, you need to plan for these costs that can be significant.

*Not sure if Crystal is still charging for a second reservation in their specialty restaurants but they were a while ago.

The TS mentioned comparing both within the same line (which might be easier) and between different lines ( where it gets tricky due to various inclusions etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The TS mentioned comparing both within the same line (which might be easier) and between different lines ( where it gets tricky due to various inclusions etc)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks - I missed that part (need to stop speed-reading):halo:

I usually start by looking at a timeframe that I want to travel, like "Spring 2019". Then I keep in mind a ballpark length of trip, and budget. And perhaps a general location, like "Europe", or "Asia".

Then I start looking around at different options, like river versus ocean, opportunities for land extensions, etc. The list might include a couple of luxury lines, a couple of premium lines, and perhaps a couple of river lines. If I'm leaning more towards a river trip, I'll compare many of the lines that cruise in the area I'm interested in.

I put them all in a spreadsheet, with columns for add-on extras, like gratuities, excursions, air costs, things like that. So I can see the overall per diem for the bare-bones trip itself, and see what all the add-on costs are going to be (business air is important to us, so Regent gets a thumbs-up there.)

Meanwhile I'll be looking at ports and stops, available excursions and how interesting the trip sounds. After all that, it's a gut feeling, and frankly, the overall cost of the trip, not the per diem, that sways me.

I put them all in a spreadsheet, with columns for add-on extras, like gratuities, excursions, air costs, things like that. So I can see the overall per diem for the bare-bones trip itself, and see what all the add-on costs are going to be (business air is important to us, so Regent gets a thumbs-up there.)

I do this also for every cruise we take. I have consistently calculated that the difference between a non-luxury cruise line vs Regent when you include everything (this makes the assumption that you drink, take excursions, use wifi, eat well) is nearly always so close in price (with Regent being slightly higher) that when you consider the Regent experience, better crew to staff ratio, generally better food (subjective, but i have sailed all of the downscale lines) there really is no comparison. If you don’t value excursions, wifi, booze, etc. then the other lines can be cheaper.

I have also looked at “similar” lines on-a-par with Regent. Regent is usually cheaper. In fairness, I haven’t sailed Seabourn or Silversea so I don’t know what that experience is like. But i do like the Regent “product” consistently so we keep going back.

Anxious to try the Explorer in June as we have not sailed her yet.

That statement is somewhat misleading as only two of the specialty restaurants charge for reservations over and above the guaranteed one per restaurant that is bookable in advance. Additional complimentary reservations, subject to availability when onboard, are also available to guests on longer itineraries (14 nights or more), and those who have reached certain loyalty levels, or stay in Penthouse level accommodation, and those on the full world cruise receive unlimited additional complimentary reservations, subject to availability when onboard.

I usually start by looking at a timeframe that I want to travel, like "Spring 2019". Then I keep in mind a ballpark length of trip, and budget. And perhaps a general location, like "Europe", or "Asia".

Then I start looking around at different options, like river versus ocean, opportunities for land extensions, etc. The list might include a couple of luxury lines, a couple of premium lines, and perhaps a couple of river lines. If I'm leaning more towards a river trip, I'll compare many of the lines that cruise in the area I'm interested in.

Meanwhile I'll be looking at ports and stops, available excursions and how interesting the trip sounds. After all that, it's a gut feeling, and frankly, the overall cost of the trip, not the per diem, that sways me.

Oh my God, this is just me and I might get flamed but if I had to do all that to go on a vacation I'd sooner stay home. I simply call my TA, tell him when I want to travel, where I'd like to go and have him give me options. Then I decide and let him do all the work. Again, this is jmo.

Oh my God, this is just me and I might get flamed but if I had to do all that to go on a vacation I'd sooner stay home. I simply call my TA, tell him when I want to travel, where I'd like to go and have him give me options. Then I decide and let him do all the work. Again, this is jmo.

No flaming - I agree with you. (it does happen occasionally:halo:) We have sailed Regent so many times that I can tell a good fare when I see it - no calculations necessary. Before sailing on Silversea, I looked at the suite sizes, looked at the air and made a decision (of course I checked out their dining, etc., I'm just speaking to the cost issue).

Jayayeff, with all due respect, how much more complicated can Crystal get? Is this spelled out on the Crystal website? It sounds like sometimes (or some people) can get second reservations without paying and others cannot. Based on what I have read when Crystal is compared to Regent, there is a charge for a second reservation - period. I do like the idea of certain levels of their loyalty program not having to pay. Not trying to be snarky - simply trying to have facts which enables me/us to make correct comparisons.

With all due respect- the TS asked about comparing costs. This not be everybody’s cup of tea, but some of us want to know and much appreciate such a detailed reply!

People compare for different reasons- for many limited time off and/or limited budget is/are an insensitive to do a detailed comparison. Especially if one is new (relatively new) to cruising.

Fantastic reply, thank you [emoji4][emoji4][emoji106]

Sometimes I compare cost per day for cruises with the same line. The differences can be startling. Look at these cost comparisons for two Regent cruises at the end of August. These are UK prices and I have deducted £300 for airfares for the included flights. The amount of this deduction does not make much impact on the comparison. They are both for lowest grade de luxe Veranda suites, but is consistent for equivalent higher grade suites. First Explorer leaving on 24 August for 10 days the cost is £570 per day per person. Second Voyager leaving on 25 August for 12 nights. The cost is £330 per day per person. Both in Europe. Both have equivalent number of excursions. Both have plenty of suites available. Explorer has one additional restaurant, but I think ratio of crew to passengers is similar.

Sometimes I compare cost per day for cruises with the same line. The differences can be startling. Look at these cost comparisons for two Regent cruises at the end of August. These are UK prices and I have deducted £300 for airfares for the included flights. The amount of this deduction does not make much impact on the comparison. They are both for lowest grade de luxe Veranda suites, but is consistent for equivalent higher grade suites. First Explorer leaving on 24 August for 10 days the cost is £570 per day per person. Second Voyager leaving on 25 August for 12 nights. The cost is £330 per day per person. Both in Europe. Both have equivalent number of excursions. Both have plenty of suites available. Explorer has one additional restaurant, but I think ratio of crew to passengers is similar.

I have noticed on many itineraries that Explorer fares are higher than on the other ships. This may be the case with Splendor as well when her itineraries come out.

A couple of years ago I asked myself the same question of whether or not Regent was worth it so I decided to find out for myself. We had recently done a cruise in the Caribbean (mini suite) and a Regent one came up when we were looking for a vacation in the time frame we wanted. It was the same length and went to similar but different ports as the one we had done so we decided to try it. It was our first trip on Regent and we were excited! I had kept a pretty detailed account of what we spent including air, pre hotel, transfers, tours, drinks etc on the first cruise so I did it again on Regent (much easier this time as it was all included). I checked each time we were in port to get an idea of the tour prices to keep it accurate. By the time we arrived home and tallied up the bill the total cost was very similar. We then discussed what we thought and our opinion was Regent won easily. The Regent experience was so much better in terms of quality and atmosphere. Not having to deal with cards or bands when you wanted a drink, no extras if you wanted to go to a specialty restaurant even if you wanted to go several times, pick several tours if you want, tips etc all added up. I am not saying we did not enjoy the other cruise because we did but the overall experience on Regent was the difference. Now we look where we want to go and when and see what cruise lines go there. If we can take Regent we will if not we will have a good time regardless.

Jayayeff, with all due respect, how much more complicated can Crystal get? Is this spelled out on the Crystal website? It sounds like sometimes (or some people) can get second reservations without paying and others cannot. Based on what I have read when Crystal is compared to Regent, there is a charge for a second reservation - period. I do like the idea of certain levels of their loyalty program not having to pay. Not trying to be snarky - simply trying to have facts which enables me/us to make correct comparisons.

It isn't complicated and it's clearly set out for all to see. I have no idea where you read that there is a charge for a second reservation period but that is not the case as I posted above. If you were the kind of person who insisted on dining entirely in the two specialty restaurants that have a fee, and you were not in Penthouse level accommodation, or of a certain loyalty level then you would incur additional charges, but it certainly wouldn't be the norm for most guests. I only book standard level accommodation and since the fee was introduced I haven't incurred any additional charges for specialty dining, and they are even flexible in how you use your complimentary reservations, i.e. all in one restaurant, split between the two, etc. entirely your choice. The only restriction is being able to pre-reserve one reservation in each prior to boarding any additional bookings need to be made once onboard...

Hi eliana,

Don't know who offered you the price that equates to £330pp per night for Voyager but, if you like the itinerary, I would definitely go for it. Voyager standard suites are very spacious and the cruise on the 25 August has the added benefit of included laundry.

The Explorer cruise on 24 August is to Northern Europe and includes 3 days in St Petersburg; these cruises are usually priced higher than other cruises in Europe and Explorer cruises also attract a premium on some itineraries. However, G & H grade suites on Explorer are more compact than on Voyager.

Looking at prices on the Regent UK website, and adjusting to deduct air fares, I come up with the following prices for G grade cabins on the cruises in question:

Explorer, 24 Aug, 10 nights: £570pp per night

Voyager, 25 Aug, 12 nights: £440pp per night

Most TAs will discount these prices and, as I said earlier, if I were you I would jump on the excellent offer you appear to have received for the Voyager cruise.

Flossie, I must have made an arithmetical mistake. I agree your calculation. Voyager is still much cheaper per day and we prefer the Voyager to the Explorer. We are on the Voyager in May and might wait until then to book an August cruise on it, taking a chance that there will still be suitable suites available.

Except for unique itineraries my goal is $300 per person per day for sea days and $400 for port days. I subtract out air, sss and onboard discounts, credit for land programs, TA rebates, and SBC from total cost.

Obviously itineraries such as Baltic or Australia circumnavigation don’t meet this criteria but I was able to match for 63 day cruise on voyager last year.

Marc