If you are upgraded from Oceanview on Riviera, is it always a better cabin?

happy cruzer

Hi, We have a guarantee for Oceanview cabin. It is not assigned at this time. I have looked at the deck plans and it looks like if we are assigned any oceanview we will be very happy. Not sure about categories above that. I understand it could be forward or aft of midship vs. the oceanviews which are all midship. What do you think?

P.S. I do understand the nature of a guarantee having done many.

Thanks.

We booked an oceanview (had a stateroom number) on the Marina a while back and were given a free upgrade to B3 veranda with an extended balcony towards the front of the ship. We were quite happy with the upgrade, but would have been just as happy in the original room. We always book a room category which in we would like to stay but are also happy for an occasional upgrade or upsell at what we would consider a good price.

I agree that upsells are more common than upgrades, but we did have an upgrade once ... we took a DOWN sell on Nautica in June/July 2016 from a PH to a B2.

Came boarding time we were in a B1 ...

But not another PH! But we were surprised at how things that bothered us in earlier days in the Deck 6/7 veranda cabins no longer did, and that was after pretty much always being in a suite (most often a PH but once an OS on Regatta, twice an OC on Marina, and twice on a Marina VS)..

Mura

Hi, We have a guarantee for Oceanview cabin. It is not assigned at this time. I have looked at the deck plans and it looks like if we are assigned any oceanview we will be very happy. Not sure about categories above that. I understand it could be forward or aft of midship vs. the oceanviews which are all midship. What do you think?

What is your itinerary? On a cruise that is likely to be through calm waters, you can probably accept a cabin far forward or aft with no consequences. On a cruise that is likely to be through calm waters, you can probably accept a cabin on a higher deck. Beyond those two statements, I wouldn't begin to make a suggestion since you haven't said anything about your tendency toward seasickness.

Thanks for all sharing their thoughts. I was looking to see what others think about the cabins since we are pretty easy to please which is why we can book a guarantee. The itinerary is the TA that starts in Barcelona. Yes, seasickness is a problem but after 3 TAs, we have the plan for it, ginger, seabands, and bonine. Mainly wondering about cabin layout, blocked views, noise, etc. Also if you get an assigned higher category cabin do you have the option to request the original level booked? Only curious since there are so few oceanviews on Riviera.

Again thanks for sharing and considering my question.

P.S. I do understand the nature of a guarantee having done many.

Thanks.

YES..it will be better....ocean view rooms also known as" life boat view rooms".. are the smallest on the ship 145 sq ft. Even the cheapest inside is 160sq ft !!!

YES..it will be better....ocean view rooms also known as" life boat view rooms".. are the smallest on the ship 145 sq ft. Even the cheapest inside is 160sq ft !!!

Is this true about the Riviera and even all oceanview rooms on the R ships?

Any one care to add their opinions? Thanks.

Is this true about the Riviera and even all oceanview rooms on the R ships?

Any one care to add their opinions? Thanks.

No this is not true on the Riviera and the Marina. The Oceanview rooms are just like the balcony rooms, but with no balcony.

The obstructed view rooms on the R ships are the lifeboat rooms, in that the view is of a lifeboat. However, yes, they are very small. I stayed in one once and would never do it again, unless I was a single traveler.

I believe the Ocean View Rooms on the Riviera are the same deminsions and size of their Balcony rooms w/o the Balcony

Whether your on a R ship or Riviera or Marina the ocean view are looking out on life boats.... R class ships the ocean view room is 143Sq ft ( E) when with window with port hole they are 165 sq (D) in either case the deck 7 ocean view are lifeboat primary view Ocean secondary, look at the deck plans...

Veranda rooms are 216 sq thats with veranda+ cabin. Insides F/G are 160 sq on R

IN O class Riviera and Marina Veranda rooms are 282sq' ocean view 272 sq' deck 7

inside are 174 sq The best cabin is the B3 cat with the extended veranda almost 12 ft rather than 3 ft That, at my estimation makes the B#3 a total of 390 sq ft !!!! only 30 sq ft smaller than a penthouse for thousands less. My preferance after many sailings on both R and O class from Inside to Penthouse is due to location on upper decks mid ship, the Inside cabin ( on the same deck as the penthouses ) is my choice. Perfect access to pool deck, waves, horizons Terrace...... Its all about convenience.. and the insides are hard to beat

Actually Dan on the larger ships the only thing you see is the tops of the lifeboats. The OV's are on deck 7 while the lifeboats are on 6. Look at this picture, right above the 4 boats in the middle.

http://www.shipparade.com/az/Marina/marina-oceania-cruises-cruise-ship-photos-2015-07-27-at-greenock-united-kingdom.jpg

It's always best to book the cabin/suite you want, you'll always be happy. Should you get an offer---then decide if it's right for you.

We booked a guarantee because the cabins we would afford were all waitlisted, our TA negotiated a guarantee for us. We are happy. Doing research ahead of time for any upgrades or offers which now thanks to all the inputs from everyone we think would seem to be better cabins. Still not sure if it is an upgrade vs. an upsell whether we can refuse it and stay with Oceanview.

Probably will just get what we are guaranteed and be very happy. But thanks for the extra info to cover possiblities.

Still not sure if it is an upgrade vs. an upsell whether we can refuse it and stay with Oceanview.

With an upsell it would be your decision as to whether you buy into it or not.

Upgrades are at the discretion of the Cruise Line.

Perhaps you did not read the fine print but the guarantee that is built into a Guarantee is that you WILL get a cabin on that voyage. Everything else is up to them.

Perhaps you did not read the fine print but the guarantee that is built into a Guarantee is that you WILL get a cabin on that voyage. Everything else is up to them.

I don't think this is entirely true. I believe you are guaranteed a cabin of the category you booked the GTD or better. If you have an oceanview GTD, you won't get an inside.

Anyone have an opinion on the wheel chair accessible cabins? They have them in oceanview and veranda categories. We have been assigned one before on the Regatta before but really prefer not to have them. Opinions on those cabins on the O ships, size, bath layout?

Thanks.

Anyone have an opinion on the wheel chair accessible cabins? They have them in oceanview and veranda categories. We have been assigned one before on the Regatta before but really prefer not to have them. Opinions on those cabins on the O ships, size, bath layout?

Thanks.

Respectfully I suggest you start a thread on that subject. Someone else looking for information and opinions on accessible cabins might not look into an "is an upgrade always better" thread. As well those who could offer advice might not be looking at this thread and see your question.