Silversea and viewing?

spencgr

So, my husband and I will be on the Spirit this May. My husband is a HUGE Philadelphia Flyers fan. Should they make the playoffs, and move into the 2nd round (I know, these are "ifs", but I would like to be prepared, if possible), there will be games while we are on the boat. Does anyone have experience with watching US sporting events on a Silversea cruise?

I know they won't have a feed. It will have to be through wi-fi, streamed through his device. Is there a screen anywhere, that he can hook his phone up to?

Are other areas of the ship (yes, I probably won't want him watching it in the room at 2 am) that he can go to watch?

Do the bars close? Can he get a drink/ beer while watching the game (outside of our room) in the middle of the night?

I'm sure I can look deeper on the Silversea website, but does anyone know what the Wifi package costs are? We are in a Veranda suite, so we only "get" 1 hour per person per day.

Thanks for any information!

The internet costs at sea are very, very expensive. So, just have him bring video of the Eagles winning the Super Bowl to keep him occupied. [emoji6]

In all honestly, there are so many variables on streaming quality, it’s virtually impossible to estimate whether it’ll work. If it does, there is a television in the card room, but not sure SS would let him connect to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The internet costs at sea are very, very expensive. So, just have him bring video of the Eagles winning the Super Bowl to keep him occupied. [emoji6]

In all honestly, there are so many variables on streaming quality, it’s virtually impossible to estimate whether it’ll work. If it does, there is a television in the card room, but not sure SS would let him connect to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Well, he's already watched that enough that he can say the announcers' lines before they do. Not sure he'll wake up to watch it again (but he may!)

Yes, I totally know that wi-fi is spotty and NOTHING is guaranteed, but just HOW expensive are these internet costs?

Watching sports isn’t going to be easy. On our cruise one year the Super Bowl was playing, and they had a viewing planned for in the show lounge but they lost the satellite feed. And that was the final, not just playoffs. Best I can suggest: Set your home DVR to record the games and ignore media reports of the results until you get home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Watching sports isn’t going to be easy. Set your home DVR to record the games and ignore media reports of the results until you get home. s

Not a bad idea with the spotty coverage. We record games and movies on our Dish Hopper and log into our DVR while on the ship. Then watch movies or games we recorded when internet gets a better signal.

So, my husband and I will be on the Spirit this May. My husband is a HUGE Philadelphia Flyers fan. Should they make the playoffs, and move into the 2nd round (I know, these are "ifs", but I would like to be prepared, if possible), there will be games while we are on the boat. Does anyone have experience with watching US sporting events on a Silversea cruise?

Two years ago we were on the Spirit docked in Rio during the Super Bowl, which was not shown on the ship. We were in a Silver Suite, and one of the technical crew connected our laptop to the correct input on the room television. We were able to see the entire game live from the website with no problems and hosted a small private party. But the wifi was free in that suite, so cost wasn't an issue.

I believe the internet cost for a cruise over 8 days is $16 a day.

That's only the regular internet, usually a bit less than 1 Mbps, which is not adequate for live streaming - I've tried! (It'll sometimes work a bit at off peak times)

The faster package, which is reputedly adequate, is closer to $30 a day if bought for the whole cruise. You can buy 24hr packages which are more expensive per day but could work if you only want it for one or two days.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two years ago we were on the Spirit docked in Rio during the Super Bowl, which was not shown on the ship. We were in a Silver Suite, and one of the technical crew connected our laptop to the correct input on the room television. We were able to see the entire game live from the website with no problems and hosted a small private party. But the wifi was free in that suite, so cost wasn't an issue.

That was a fun evening!