First time river

hootmon

We have booked the August 26 American Queen Memphis to St Louis. We have sailed on 40+ ocean cruises but first time on river. We are excited ! When boarding in Memphis are shorts acceptable or is casual dress best.? We are Carol and Hank from Michigan.

Hi Carol and Hank,

Looks like we may be cruising for a while together. We too cruise on the big ships and this will be our first US river cruise.

We are starting out in New Orleans on August 20 and going the whole way to Minneapolis.

I am originally from Michigan, just south of Detroit on the river.

My husband and I currently live in California- Silicon Valley.

If you want to find us on board we are a mixed race couple. Russell is Chinese American (2nd gen) and I am caucasian. Both on the tall side and in our very early 60's (well ok Russell is 59 but close enough).

We hope to see you one board.

There is another couple from Alabama going the whole way who has contacted me. Maybe we can all meet up

Edited by camnjoss

Thanks for the response. We certainly look forward to meeting you. Our age group is much higher than yours (70 - 80) but we are still sociable. We are doing a pre cruise nite at the Sheraton Memphis. Anticipating a relaxing 9 days. Will see you onboard.

We took the same cruise last year. Like you, it was our first US river cruise having sailed on just about all of the popular ocean lines previously. It is a very relaxing way to meander down the mighty Mississippi. The Riverorian on board was very knowledgeable of the sights and sounds along the way. Each day you stop at a different town and company Hop on Hop off bus awaits you to take you around town. The buses run on a route like a regular city bus allowing you to spend as much time as you wish at any given stop. The food on board was good. We opted for the extended stay in New Orleans which was fabulous. We enjoyed it enough that we are taking another American Queen cruise this weekend. This one will be on the Columbia/Snake river. Enjoy your cruise.

You are in for a real treat !! I just got off the American Empress July 9 and what a fabulous trip we had on the Columbia/Snake River ! This was our first riverboat cruise after many ocean cruises, but it will Not be our last on American Queen Steamboat Company . I will be posting a full review on CC shortly, but I was very pleased with my time on the Empress, the area we traveled was breathtaking, the crew and staff were amazing, the entertainment was superb !!! Lindy and Greg are two ultra talented entertainers and down right nice people too [emoji256]The food was first class, the spirits were flowing...and a good time was had by all !! Enjoy your cruise [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to read your review. We are experienced ocean cruisers and European river cruisers but will be doing the Columbia cruise next May on Empress. Are there any tips you have for us, since we are used to the other cruises and this is our first time on AQSC. We learned a lot of lessons the hard way on our first cruises and would appreciate any tips from your point of view.

Thanks!

You are in for a real treat !! I just got off the American Empress July 9 and what a fabulous trip we had on the Columbia/Snake River ! This was our first riverboat cruise after many ocean cruises, but it will Not be our last on American Queen Steamboat Company . I will be posting a full review on CC shortly, but I was very pleased with my time on the Empress, the area we traveled was breathtaking, the crew and staff were amazing, the entertainment was superb !!! Lindy and Greg are two ultra talented entertainers and down right nice people too [emoji256]The food was first class, the spirits were flowing...and a good time was had by all !! Enjoy your cruise [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums