Key West by car?

Extra Kim

I didn't read every comment, but I would comment that, if you want a nice beach, stay in Miami.

Key West does not have nice beaches..

Key West has few locations that could even be called a beach.

So true. We love KW, but go there with the knowledge that its not going to be a beach vacation.

Hank

If we would skip one of the nights on the way down/up and instead spend two nights at one place and one night at the other. Would you spend two nights in Key West and one in Islamorada or two nights in Islamorada and one in Key West?

Two nights in Key West. No ifs ands or buts. There is a lot more to do there.

We are trying to keep the cost down on this cruise since it was an last minute decision to book and we already have made one 11nts cruise, one 2 nts and we went to Gotland (a Swedish island), have one 7nts cruise booked for September and one 7nts in January.. That have worked well so far, the most expensive plane tickets we ever have paid for going to the U.S and a Celebrity cruise (we mostly sail with Royal):o:')

Do anyone have tips on nice hotels in Key West, Key Largo, Islamorada or Maraton? New plan is to spend two nights in Key West and then two nights closer to Miami but not in Miami. Our flight leaves Miami 16:45 and we don't want to be more then two hours from the airport the last night. We plan on being on the road going to the airport by 10:00.

In Key Largo we've stayed at the Holiday Inn. Not on a beach but close to the state park and an easy walk to several restaurants. Around $125 a night in August.

We've also stayed at the Hilton Key Largo Resort but it's now closed and undergoing refurbishment to become a boutique resort within the Hilton brand. It was more expensive but I used points.

A long time ago we stayed at what is now the Margaritaville Key West Resort (at the time it was a Hilton). It's nice but the cruise ships dock right near there and may block any view you have of the water and sunset. Nice pool area and right in the middle of Key West fun, but still somewhat private. Around $229 a night in August.

I've also stayed in Islamorada at a Hampton Inn that's no longer a Hampton. It looks like it's now the Amara Cay Resort. On the water, ocean side. From photos it looks similar to when it was a Hampton. Around $200 a night in August.

Just to further confuse you - I've been going to the Keys for 25 years, and I've never had to stop for an accident - although I know such events DO happen and when they do, I'm sure they can interrupt your trip for an extended length of time.

I'm one who would not spend the night in Key West, though I would certainly go there and spend, say, four hours. Now, I AM going to spend a week there in two weeks, simply because the Hyatt is part of a timeshare program I have. If you are under 30 and aren't traveling with children - yes, go. If you are over 30, I wouldn't spend the night there, there are simply too many other outstanding places in the Keys.

A place I always hit is Key Colony Beach. It is at the second traffic light entering Marathon - turn left on Sadowski Causeway. There are a couple-three little - little - beaches there, but there is plenty of space because there aren't many tourists there in the summer. There are three hotels along the mile-long Gulf beach - the Continental Inn is probably the best if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

No, I wouldn't stay in Key Largo, either. Islamorada is a good place to overnight, though a little pricey. Key West is CERTAINLY pricey. A stop just outside Key Largo - Snapper's Restaurant at mile-marker 100- is an excellent place for lunch, though!

Actually, if you talk to a hundred people, you will probably get 100 different ideas of how to see the Keys. Just go - you'll probably love it, regardless of where you stay.

Marathon is a nice area. I've spent several weeks there. It is about a 2 hour drive from Miami. Lots of great places for seafood and a couple of beaches as well (Sombrero Beach and Bahia Honda).

Key West is a just 80-90 minutes from Marathon.

Loved Marathon! Many people judge the beaches in the Keys by Key West. While it isn't terrible there, there are far better beaches in the Keys. Sombrero and Bahia feel like you are in the Carribean, and are very low-key. If you are beach people, I would head over to Marathon. If you are city life people, I would head to Key West.