Single cruising

I'm looking for a transatlantic cruise for May of 2019 for my husband & myself, as well as my recently widowed sister and want to book a "single" stateroom for her. I "googled" best cruises for singles & entered 1 adult (on a particular site) when I was trying to see the price for her, but the price still said "per person". Is this phrase/terminology just a function of the computer algorithm & if not what do I do???????

Some cruise lines have solo cabins on some of their ships: NCL, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Cunard. Also some cruise lines have better single supplements, like Crystal whose single supplement starts at 110%.

Looking for that 110% single supplement on Crystal. I used to pay 125% and now 130% is the standard. And don't forget that the single supplement is capacity controlled. :confused::o:cool:

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

You have narrowed your search considerably by selecting a specific month to travel.

The transatlantic voyages break down into only a few types. First, obviously, is west to east or the opposite. The next question would be a direct cruise like Cunard's London(Southampton)-New York or the reverse 7 days, with no stops. You can also do 14 day return trip with these cruises. Then there are the cruises, that are for the cruise line a "repositioning" of the ship. One direction or another they would get you across the Atlantic with typically 2-3 stops. They typically are longer with a variety of embarkation and debarkation ports.

Your issue about a solo traveler has been touched on in that very often a single traveler will have to pay for double occupancy. It is not to say that cruise lines don't have specials where there is a reduced "single supplement", but it is not the norm. I would suggest that looking almost a year ahead as you are, you best option is to call each cruise line. Speak to one of their reps. and ask if there are any sailings that have a low or no single supplement. I just wouldn't count on it, perhaps if you have some flexibility in your schedule, but it can cost almost twice as much for a single traveler in a cabin.

good luck

have a great cruise

Check msc they have no extra charge for singles,which I find strange , they also have some great suite deals and some new ships, we are sailing. Them next year on a new shipin a suite that is much cheaper and more perks than other lines

Looking for that 110% single supplement on Crystal. I used to pay 125% and now 130% is the standard. And don't forget that the single supplement is capacity controlled. :confused::o:cool:

I think that's how it sometimes gets as low as 10% -- when it's on a "damn, we'd better fill the ship" sale. I love that the 30% though is available on virtually every cruise, even if it is limited by capacity.

Check msc they have no extra charge for singles,which I find strange , they also have some great suite deals and some new ships, we are sailing. Them next year on a new shipin a suite that is much cheaper and more perks than other lines

Hi

There are very limited choices with MSC. None in May. A possible choice in Mar.. It would really depend on how flexible they were and if the itinerary was suitable, because they are much longer repositioning cruises. There is a reduced single supplement that I see, not 0, but certainly good value.

They most certainly DO have extra charge for solo cruisers. Some cruises don't double it to 200% ... but the fare is increased for the solo cruiser.

I am a solo cruiser and I have been looking at their recent deals and every cruise I've looked at has an increased fare for being solo.

To answer the original question, when you search a solo price it will still come back as 'per person'. The solo being the single person. You can check this by running another test booking and entering 2 people, the difference between the 2 bookings is your solo supplement.

This is not exactly an answer to your question but, if your travel dates are flexible, you'll find many more ships crossing the Atlantic a month earlier. The lines reposition many ships to the Mediterranean and Europe from the Caribbean for the summer season.

They most certainly DO have extra charge for solo cruisers. Some cruises don't double it to 200% ... but the fare is increased for the solo cruiser.

I am a solo cruiser and I have been looking at their recent deals and every cruise I've looked at has an increased fare for being solo.

Several people on our cruise which is November 2019 said no extra cost, I found this strange , possibly a suite deal. We and they are all in yacht club suite

If you want the best deal, I'd stick to a line that offers single person cabins

Not always the case. Some of those come out being more expensive, especially on newer ships. It is best for people to choose a few cruise lines and price them out. I look at a per day price as a solo traveler. Yes, some of the luxury lines may charge a low supplement, but I’m not going to pay $400 per day, when I can cruise to unique ports for $160 per day and still enjoy myself, and see the places I want to see.

Several people on our cruise which is November 2019 said no extra cost, I found this strange , possibly a suite deal. We and they are all in yacht club suite

Cruising in November is not peak cruising season so pretty much all cruise lines have cheaper fares and do things like 'no single supplement' to fill the ships.

I am a solo cruiser and agree with others here; MSC does not usually offer no single supplement. I have had MSC also refuse to book a solo cruiser. There are many variables when it comes to solo cruising and the solo fares on all cruise lines, unfortunately.

Safe sailing!