Which smaller cruise line for me?

Nemanoxer

I am not actually a first timer, however I have decided to turn my back on BIG ships and mass cruise lines. So it comes to the smaller ships and cruise lines / subdivisions - and when it is about that, I am a first timer. Had some contact with Silversea once, however we did not seem to match, at least not initially.

I would like to hear your suggestions on cruise lines that could suit me better than the RCCLs and NCLs of this world, so here is something about me to work with:

Male, 46 years old, socializing best with 30-65 years US citizens.

Always cruising solo.

Home port Hamburg, Germany.

Basically willing to fly to any other port on this planet.

Cannot afford super luxury, let us work with a maximum budget of like 4.000 $ per cruise.

Cannot imagine dressing up every evening.

I need at least 7 days to enjoy a cruise.

I am into cruise line-dependent shore excursions.

Food to me is today what s** was to me 25 years ago :halo: but saying that I like to stick with native stuff, need nothing crazy / molecular or so. I love top notch European style coffee.

Favorite cruising area Caribbean by far, however anything with beaches / amazing nature (includes deserts and mountains) and more than 70 degrees Fahrenheit will do.

Balcony cabins are loved, but not always affordable.

I need no discos.

I am not too much into alcohol.

Can imagine to go on sail ships.

So... Any suggestions will be very much appreciated and considered :)

Have a look at Celestyal cruises, a Cypriot line which sails around the Greek islands or Cuba. It seems to be all inclusive these days, including gratuities and drinks. They do have a mixture of nationalities on board, although I'm not sure of the age groups- it was very mixed ages when we sailed with them years ago.

Surely no experience on any of the following suggestions, but I have read/heard positive comments about them: Windstar, Star Clippers Cruises, Viking Cruises, and Saga.

Oceania Cruises seems to be loved by some, but others find the service to be lacking as compared with the service the guests have received on Holland America.

Ah, unfortunately Saga won't do, as it's for 50+ years.

There's smaller ships from the UK- Fred Olsen has four, and Cruise and Maritime has about 5, I think.

Edited by jocap
addition

Surely no experience on any of the following suggestions, but I have read/heard positive comments about them: Windstar, Star Clippers Cruises, Viking Cruises, and Saga.

Oceania Cruises seems to be loved by some, but others find the service to be lacking as compared with the service the guests have received on Holland America.

With the food being so good, no need to call the waiter over.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If this was me I would also seek the advice of a travel agent.

Keith

Keith, I have been lookiing for a good cruise agent for the past 15 years....since the only true great cruise agent I knew decided to retire to spend more time cruising :). These days it seems to be a world or "order takers" many of whiom simply read the script on their computer monitor. We recently stumbled on an agent (with a high volume excellent cruise agency) that might pass muster....but my vote is still out until we have tested her over a few years :).

Hank

Thanks for your first suggestions.

Cruising is not yet such a wide spread way of travel, even though it is growing fast. And there are cruise expertise travel agents, of course, however the absolute majority of them focus on the mass market and especially on the German cruise lines as most Germans like to stick with their own people even when on vacation - but I don´t :confused: .

I will have a look at Oceania for a first effort. Azamara belong to RCCL, and after my most recent RCCL cruise, I am far away from doing any RCCL brand again so soon.

I don't think you should discount Azamara because they are owned by Royal Caribbean. Celebrity are also, and there is a gulf between them, an even larger gulf between them and RCCL and Azamara. (But just to clarify, I have sailed Celebrity, but not RCCL as it hasn't been convenient, and not Azamara because I can't afford them). EM

I don't think you should discount Azamara because they are owned by Royal Caribbean. Celebrity are also, and there is a gulf between them, an even larger gulf between them and RCCL and Azamara. (But just to clarify, I have sailed Celebrity, but not RCCL as it hasn't been convenient, and not Azamara because I can't afford them). EM

I agree. Oceania (and Regent) are now in the same "family" with NCL but O and R are a world apart in quality from NCL (though, with Oceania's founder [FDR] now at the helm of the family, maybe NCL will improve).

I agree. Oceania (and Regent) are now in the same "family" with NCL but O and R are a world apart in quality from NCL (though, with Oceania's founder [FDR] now at the helm of the family, maybe NCL will improve).

Things don't look too hopeful over there....quality has waned from when Kevin Sheehan was at the helm.

Thanks for your first suggestions.

Cruising is not yet such a wide spread way of travel, even though it is growing fast. And there are cruise expertise travel agents, of course, however the absolute majority of them focus on the mass market and especially on the German cruise lines as most Germans like to stick with their own people even when on vacation - but I don´t :confused: .

I will have a look at Oceania for a first effort. Azamara belong to RCCL, and after my most recent RCCL cruise, I am far away from doing any RCCL brand again so soon.

Most luxury cruise lines are affiliated with mainstream cruise lines. As you noted, Azamara, even though not luxury is part of Royal Caribbean. Seabourn is owned by Carnival and Oceania (not luxury) and Regent are owned by NCL. While we no longer would sail on a mainstream cruise line, the luxury and premium plus cruise lines bear no resemblance to the parent company.

In terms of travel agents, when you get into the premium plus (or luxury lite) like Oceania and Azamara, if you find a travel agent that regularly books cruises on these lines, many times you will receive a rebate and/or on board credits from your TA. For this reason, it is definitely worth the effort to find a good TA. On the other hand, the TS (thread starter) is from Germany so many things that apply in North America may not apply in Germany (or other parts of the world).

One of the top German cruise lines has two luxury ships -- Europa and Europa II that receive outstanding reviews. The only issue (from my perspective) is that they are mostly German speaking passengers on board which is not an issue for the TS (the crew speak English - just not most passengers).

Ships named "Europa" and "Europa 2" are Hyper Luxury Class, at least they are being sold as that - and they cost like that.

If only I would be 10-15 years older, I surely would give Silversea a try. Every now and then, they put some nice prices on the market, even and especially for those paradise-like regions.

I will go and try to find some travel agent for the future. Thank you for your replies.