Bahrain & Doha....things to do?

dleafy

Hi All,

4 of us, 2 couples are cruising out of Dubai on January on the MSC Splendida.

We plan to go to Ferrari World when we dock in Abu Dhabi, but don't really fancy any of the MSC trips in Bahrain or Doha.

Is there anything to do close to the ports (within walking distance) or would we need to get taxis somewhere?

I didn't particularly want to change money into any local currency if we don't need to.

Thanks in advance

Dave!

No idea about Doha.

In Bahrain you need a taxi to get from or to the port. It is not far to the (few) sights distance wise, but traffic is often diabolical. Especially on weekends, when thousands of Saudis descend in their cars on Bahrain ig is bad. The brothers from across the causeway don't give a damn about road rules.

Having lived in BAH for six years and as a frequent visitor, I strongly advise you to bite the bullet and take a ships tour in Bahrain.

They will wait for a stuck bus, but not if you are stuck in a taxi.

Certainly would be interesting to see if you will be allowed to dock in Doha after coming or going to UAE/Bahrain. Considering the politics and no flights or trade from these countries..

Things to do...

The easiest would be a trip to the Souk Waqif via Taxi.

Also the Onyx Sanctuary is interesting

Certainly would be interesting to see if you will be allowed to dock in Doha after coming or going to UAE/Bahrain. Considering the politics and no flights or trade from these countries..

Now THAT is an interesting thought!

Are they still at it?

• 3 weeks later...

Our ship went from Dubai to Doha and on to Bahrain 2 weeks ago.

Our ship docked in Doha in sight of downtown, but far on the road. There were port shuttle busses and taxis stopped at the port entrance. We did a ship's tour so I can't comment on what is available on a 'do it on your own adventure'.

While traffic was murderous in Bahrain, Doha's was not far behind. They are digging everywhere to build a metro. Qatar's emir just signed a contract with a French company. His picture is everywhere on high rise buildings and on car stickers in his support.

• 1 month later...
i just wondering easy to get a taxi from the port or in the town. I just heard that not much thing to see and i would like to go to local market and walk around in the town.

Does anyone suggestions about the transportation?

where?

• 1 year later...

Hi we have just returned from a gulf cruise, with Bahrain as one of the ports. We decided to do a ship excursion as the port was quite a distance out of the city and I couldn't find much info about going ashore independently. When we were in port there was a free shuttle bus into the city, but I don't know whereabouts it stopped and if there was much to see.