Is the snorkeling good in Aruba, San Juan del Sur or Puerto Vallarta?

back to the islands

We are going on a Panama Canal cruise with these stops and Cartagena and Puntarenas. I love snorkeling in the Virgin Islands and Hawaii. Grand Cayman wasn't bad either, but I have been very disappointed in the Bahamas and Jamaica. How is the snorkeling in Aruba, San Juan del Sur and Puerto Vallarta? I love to snorkel, but want plenty to look at. I especially like snorkeling right off the beach! I have heard Costa Rica is not much for snorkeling. Any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Have only been to Aruba of the places you mentioned. I'm an avid snorkeler, so it doesn't take much to please me while snorkeling. It wasn't the best snorkeling ever, but we had a great time snorkeling during our port day here about a year ago. If you'd like to check out my blog and pictures of it, click HERE then click on aruba.

Thank you, Slabeaume and Coral Reef! I will take my snorkel gear ashore in Aruba. We only have a short stop there. 7-12:30 and I won't be first off the ship at that time, but hopefully enough time for a short snorkel and toes in the sand on Christmas Eve! I want to see whales in PV so I will try to combine that with Marietas Islands and see whales and snorkel!

We did a 10 day vacation in Aruba and snorkeled at some "decent" places.

Baby Beach is on the east side of the island and it was fairly decent in the cove area.

We took a day and went to Palm Island and it was pretty fabulous with plenty of coral and fish (some of the biggest Parrot fish I have ever seen were in Aruba).

Another easy place to get to from the cruise port is Boca Catalina. Facing the beach, go right. It's where you'll see a bunch of snorkeling excursions by boat come. Easy to just do on your own. :D