Packing light. How to? Your tips.

jeffdal

Thank you everyone for your advice. I am going to do a trial packing and see if I can get away with a carry-on.

I think I trial packed 3 different times but was able to finally get everything for a 7 day Alaska in a carry-on each. NCL so we didn't have to dress-up but each took one "dinner-out" outfit. He took couple jeans, I took knit pants, tights and a pair of lightweight slacks. Packed jackets but wore sweatshirts. I had one unworn shirt, he had a couple, cause we bought some t-shirts. They were not very big carry-ons so it can be done. I used packing bags and folders. Since we were carrying everything on the 3-1-1 bags were actually the hardest to pack. You can get just a tiny bit more in the bags with the slider.

We absolutely PACK our heavier walking shoes and wear our more comfortable slip- or velcro-on shoes. Cut out enough of other things to come in under-weight and fit in carry-on bags. IT-Luggage 2-wheeled carry-on (I think called either London or LosAngeles) weighs 3.5lbs or just over, empty. There's your jeans and boots, right there.

The keys to 3-1-1 bags is -- do not put anything in that is not liquid/paste/gel in your kippie bag (have another zippy or your old favorite non-zippy toiletry bag for non-liquids) -- do not take 3oz of anything that you won't need more than 2oz of, get smaller containers in range of sizes -- and if you have any non-solid Rx meds, put them in their own zippy because they don't count.

Here are 3-1-1 baggies for a couple travelling on a 26-day cruise with one night pre-cruise:

HIS: Cocoa Butter Lotion, 3oz, full

Intensive skin therapy (lotion) 1oz

2oz GoToob Shampoo/conditioner

2oz GoToob foaming face cleanser

Travel antiperspirant, new

Bactroban (RX) 15g (use as Neosporin)

DEET bugdope, 0.5oz stick applicator

Afterbite 14g stick applicator

Benadryl cream, 1oz

Toothpaste, 0.85oz, new

HERS:

Sonia Kashuk tinted moisturizer, 1.75oz tube

2x 10-pack make-up remover wipes

2-oz GoToob Shampoo

2-oz GoToob Face wash

Travel antiperspirant, new

Acne Treatment, 0.75 oz

Coldsore treatment, 0.23oz

Blistex chapstick

Pocket sized Bodyglide, 0.07oz

Toothpaste, 0.85oz, new

NOTES: Next time I will take larger Bodyglide, but put the tinted moisturizer in a smaller tube

PS: we do wear our hair very short!

We absolutely PACK our heavier walking shoes and wear our more comfortable slip- or velcro-on shoes. Cut out enough of other things to come in under-weight and fit in carry-on bags.

We did this too. If I'm going to be stuck on a plane or in airports for hours, I'm going to try to be comfortable.

Another thing, if you are flying and checking, look at the weight of your bags. Many suitcases weigh a LOT more than others.

eBags or LuggagePros for lightweight luggage. You can gain 8 - 10 pounds of stuff by using lighter weight luggage.

Also, in the US, they don't weight carry ons, so put heavy things in your carry on. And maximize you carry on, not a small backpage and a pursh. Use a larger roller and a backpack. Put the purse in the backpack.

Lighter weight clothes. Knit synthetics over heavier cotton. As has been mentioned, layer. Severl lighter layers, that can be mixed and matched as needed.

Also, in the US, they don't weight carry ons, so put heavy things in your carry on. And maximize you carry on, not a small backpage and a pursh. Use a larger roller and a backpack. Put the purse in the backpack.

Of course, a "larger roller and a backpack" really means two carry-ons - an increasingly common practice - which makes it important to pay that bit extra to be among an earlier boarding group so you won't be stuck with having to have your carry-on under the seat in front of you because all the clever light travelers have taken up all the overhead storage space with their multiple carry-ons.

What does this mean?

We put out our laundry each morning in a bag. and have it back beautifully ironed and folded or hanging by 5 each night. Per person, that's less than the price of one drink per day. And no sort-of clean underwear hanging all around the cabin!

I'm never sure why people won't spend a small amount of money for such a great convenience. Also works exceptionally well if you are traveling before or after the cruise.

What cruise line and did that price cover everyone in the cabin?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to everyone's advice I am all packed ready for Wednesday. I got it all in a carry-on, purse, backpack. My husband is taking one suitcase he has to check. Now if civil war doesn't break out in Barcelona this week before the 7 day Mediterranean cruise we will be fine. For the transatlantic cruise we can stay onboard for safety and enjoy the pool. We are off to new experiences.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a travel sized wrinkle remover. That sounds like an essential item to add to my shopping list. Thank you.

Hi there. I just saw your thank you to me about the tip about the travel wrinkle remover. You are so welcome. If you cannot find it, buy a small 3 oz spray travel bottle and fill it with your own remover. I then put it in a zip lock bag so it doesn't leak out onto other things. You can also dilute fabric softner with water and use that as well. There are many ways to save money, look good and have a great carefree cruise as well. Happy cruising.

We are going on our first cruise(Alaska) in 2018 and I appreciate all the packing tips.

My tip-

Invest in a charger that will charge a bunch of electronics at the same time. All I need is the smaller cords for phones and iPads and it all fits in a little case. Only one plug needed.

We are each bringing a rolly suitcase and a backpack. One backpack is really a carryon the converts to a backpack.

Seeing as how we are doing a 4 day land trip before the cruise, I figure these will come in handy. I also bring some type of small bags to keep electronics, paperwork, pills, etc all separate so they are easier to find in my backpack.

I always bring a change of clothes, bathing suit, flip flops in a carry on just in case luggage gets lost. This will be our first colder climate trip so I will have to rethink the carryon contents to add dinner attire and jacket/vest.

I also split our clothes between the suitcases so we each have some in both Suitcases

Edited by Ladyaruba
spelling!

We went to Alaska this past August and the best thing I did was waterproof jackets and shoes. It rained almost every day, at least part of the day, and having waterproof shoes and windbreakers saved our trip. We just put on our jackets, pulled up the hoods and away we went. Alaska gets a lot more rain then I thought it did.

We went to Alaska this past August and the best thing I did was waterproof jackets and shoes. It rained almost every day, at least part of the day, and having waterproof shoes and windbreakers saved our trip. We just put on our jackets, pulled up the hoods and away we went. Alaska gets a lot more rain then I thought it did.

Is there a way to waterproof shoes you all ready have? A spray maybe?

Thinking of sneakers for ports but might be better getting small waterproof hiking shoes.

Yes there is a spray you can use. I used Kiwi but there are others, https://www.wadinglab.com/best-waterproofing-spray-review/

Amazon, discount stores & sporting goods stores all have it.

I hung jackets on a hanger, with a long pole holding arms straight, in garage where I could get to all sides (I did removable hoods separately by placing over large ball.)

Our shoes I spread out on floor so I could get to all sides. IIRC it is not recommended for shoes with holes (mesh type fabric.) So it would depend on the sneakers. We both had small hiking shoes that said they are waterproof but I already had the spray and I hate cold & wet feet so I sprayed them anyway. I also have a crossbody nylon/canvas bag and backpack type bag that we used to take stuff with us and I sprayed both of those also. I had ripstop type fabric convertible (they will roll up but I never did) cargo pants that are water resistant according to label and I stayed dry the whole trip.

Besides spending time learning on CC it was the best thing I did to prepare for our trip to Alaska. And I think the waterproofing will come in handy for our British Isles trip next June.

I struggled with putting together a packing list for my first cruise so I published it recently (about to set sail on my 2nd cruise!) for others to use! There is a link for if you want to print it as well. Another blog post I have is about cruise gadgets you will want.

Packing List: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.co...king-list.html

Cabin Must-haves: http://laurenofalltrades.blogspot.co...breakaway.html

Full disclosure: I struggle with packing light and sometimes do better than others. One of the problems is if you don't have a common product like toothpaste or sunscreen that you need it will be way more expensive on board and hard to get somewhere you can buy it while on shore since most of what is near the port and near where you go on shore excursions is often just tourist attractions.

I find booking all my excursions in advance really helps me pack lighter because I know in advance what I'll need for them.

Another hint is to pack multi-purpose items whenever possible. For example I went to a lot of trouble to find a floral patterned sundress in a dark shade that is a bit loose made of material that is heavy enough to not need a slip underneath when combined with the dark color. I think it was the wrong time of year to be shopping for sun dresses where I live when I went shopping for it.

This dress is great. I can throw it over a swimsuit and look presentable for pretty much anything. It happens to be made of some sort of polyester knit that dries incredibly fast, so that is also a big plus. Even when damp the dark color means it doesn't really show it. I can easily hop out of the pool, towel off, sit on a dry towel for a few minutes to get most of the water out of my suit, then throw it on and saunter straight into the buffet.

I also wear it as a quick cover up when answering the cabin door for breakfast delivery because I just never seem to be quite completely dressed yet when it arrives. With my hair up and some nice accessories and sandals it is nice enough for main dining room on a more casual night. If I wanted to I could probably get by with it on a formal night but I just would rather wear it for the first night because it is so comfortable. Pretty great to just pack one dress in place of attire for the first night's dinner, a robe, and a swim cover up.

Thanks to everyone's advice I am all packed ready for Wednesday. I got it all in a carry-on, purse, backpack. My husband is taking one suitcase he has to check. Now if civil war doesn't break out in Barcelona this week before the 7 day Mediterranean cruise we will be fine. For the transatlantic cruise we can stay onboard for safety and enjoy the pool. We are off to new experiences.

Congrats on the new lighter-travelling you! Now to get the husband some nylon pants and poly-or-blend shirts! The right ones wear like iron, so even though his garments may be larger (may!), he might be able to carry-on only too. Not judging! Everyone has their own "burden" (see what I did there?).

If he's checking and you're not, be sure to cross-pack a full outfit and two changes of undies/socks between your bags. One of my first overseas tours, one man never got his suitcase at all -- on a trip through China plus the Silk Road through Central Asia. Let me tell you, this guy was bigger than your average Asian!

• 3 weeks later...
Two words: ship laundry.

The line we travel in charges $109/week per cabin for unlimited laundry. So worth it to me to travel light.

I like this. Do you mind sharing the cruise line? Thanks.

As far as packing, I just keep putting clothes until I approach whatever weight limit is applicable. When I reach that weight, I'm finished!

• 2 weeks later...

Like others have said, don't pack a lot of shoes. I always take a pair of sandals, a pair of sneakers (which I wear on travel day so they don't bulk up suitcase) and a pair of dress shoes. I also normally only take one pair of dress pants, normally black and the shirts I take to go with that are normally ones that can also be dressed down with a pair of shorts. Shorts wise depending on how many days I'm gone I take 3 or 4 pairs and mainly denim shorts that can be worn more than once before needing wash. I also take only one pair of pjs and one swim suit. Also to pack light I don't take my hair dryer and just use the one in the cabin and I also use the shampoo and the body soap in the cabin too instead of bringing my own.

I use a packing app - it's highly personalizable and I can copy last cruise's packing list to the current journey. As I'm packing up my cabin to leave, anything I didn't use (besides something like our mini solar panel or first aid kit, which we bring with the hope of NOT needing them) gets axed off the template list. Using the app to repack the cabin also insures I leave nothing behind.

I bring a limited color palette of clothing, a Tide stick and a few Shout wipes for stains, Febreze To Go for second wearings, and if need be plan to take advantage of the laundry service. I have a single LBD (little black dress) that I wear for all formal/chic nights and add one of several brightly-printed scarves and a coordinating pair of ballet flats (Tieks - my favorites - they fold up and pack small, and can go from a port tour to dinner no problem!) to keep it interesting. I doubt the average passenger realizes I wear the same dress 2-3 times a cruise. My other shoes are sturdy walkers (that get worn on the plane) and a pair of flip-flops for the pool/spa/beach. I also carry an extra pair of insoles for the walking shoes. After a long day of walking in port, I just pop out the insoles and hang them in the closet clipped to a pants hanger. The next port day, after the shoes have aired out, I insert the other pair of insoles. It's like having a second whole pair of shoes without the bulk. This saved my bacon on a port-intensive Med cruise where I absolutely did not want to check bags on the plane.

My daily clothing choices are almost all performance fabrics - they pack smaller than their non-performance counterparts and wash up easily in the sink in a pinch and hang to dry overnight. My socks are Smartwool and I can rotate between 3 pairs for a two-week holiday and not need to launder.

I pack minimal toiletries, and either make a drugstore stop in the departure city or have a box shipped via Amazon Prime to me at our pre-cruise hotel. This is especially important for sunscreen because we go through a lot and the quantities we need won't fit in the TSA-approved zipper bag. It doesn't help that I prefer the spray format and my husband likes the lotion, and that I can't wear the active ingredient Avobenzone on my face so I need a more-expensive mineral formulation for the neck up. It's just more efficient to have all our sunscreen waiting for us at the hotel or go pick it up locally before checking in.

For cosmetics, I limit myself to neutrals, choose flight-friendly form factors (stick products rule!) and only bring a single all-in-one palette. Generally I can fit my whole face of makeup into a little cosmetic bag with some careful planning. I always have samples of stuff from makeup and skin care subscription boxes, so I will pack up things like cleansers, moisturizers, primer, mascara, etc. to use, and then toss them out before our flight home. The sample sizes are perfect for travel and I don't feel bad at all about binning them after only a week or two.

Electronica is an area that eats up a lot of travel bulk - I do bring a Kindle for reading instead of treeware books, and I don't go anywhere without my tablet and smartphone. It means bringing charging plugs and cables so I've pared that down as much as possible but I can't bring myself (yet) to leave these items at home. I forego high heels, therefore I can pack my iPad - that's my philosophy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for this post, its really been helpful for me

I like this. Do you mind sharing the cruise line? Thanks. ...

Probably Holland America. Their unlimited laundry is usually around $14 per day times number of Cruise days.

I think it is slightly more on European itineraries.

On my next cruise the only electronic I'll be taking is my phone. It has a Kindle app so I can download plenty of books. I have a waterproof pouch with a lanyard so I can use it as a camera on excursions (this needs practice underwater as only buttons will work, not screen controls. But the screen works fine in the pouch above water.) Discovered last cruise that I could just sit in the hot tub forever with my phone in its pouch, reading and taking pictures of the scenery.

There are also clip-on telephoto lenses for smartphones. If that turns out to work well I may not take the big camera at all.