Tallinn- Tour or Not?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:34 PM.
Ontario, Canada
1,924 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
do you know if most cruise ships have a shuttle taking passengers into the Tourist Info center?
thanks

Originally posted by ROCruiser
We always like to DIY in ports so we have the freedom to do whatever, whenever. Especially in ports like Tallin, so easy to do it on your own. Just walking distance from the port to old town.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL Veendam - Dec. 2004 - Caribbean
Carnival Magic - B2B -Oct. 7 & 16, 2011 - Mediterranean
Carnival Destiny - Feb. 20, 2012 - Caribbean
Carnival Spirit - Sept. 18, 2012 - Hawaii
Carnival Breeze - Nov. 24, 2012 - Caribbean
Carnival Dream - April 2013 - Caribbean
Carnival Conquest - Nov. 2013 - S. Caribbean
RCCL Allure of the Seas - Nov. 2014 - Caribbean
Viking Tor - Rhine River Christmas Markets, Dec. 2014
HAL Oosterdam - Australia and New Zealand, S. Pacific, Hawaii to Vancouver - April/May 2015
Celebrity Millenium - May 2015 - Alaska
Carnival Sunshine - Dec. 2015 - Caribbean
NCL Epic - Jan. 2016 - Canary Islands
Carnival Sunshine - Feb. 2016 - Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection - Dec. 2016 - Caribbean
Carnival Pride - B2B - Jan. 2017 - Caribbean/Panama
Oct. 2017 - NCL Getaway - Baltics and Transatlantic
August 2018 - Alaska - Celebrity Millenium
March 2019 - Transtlantic on MSC Divina
California
658 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by newcruisers04
do you know if most cruise ships have a shuttle taking passengers into the Tourist Info center?
thanks
Cruise ships dock at the Old City Harbor, it's just around 500 metres from city center. You don't need any shuttle bus at all. Old town is a little further but you need to go up the hill. So if you have any mobility issues you could take a taxi. Anyway everything in Tallinn is very close and the only problem may be cobblestones which are everywhere. So be ready
Columbia, MD USA
2,951 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by newcruisers04
thanks
HAL did have a shuttle. We did not use it and did not have to wait on line for it. Walking into town worked fine.
New England
1,032 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Nisky411
Just google free walking tour. We took a wonderful tour with a very informative guide all around cobblestoned streets with plenty of time for shopping and lunch !
How long was the tour and how arduous? Did you walk up the big hill to overlook the town?
8 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
We walked from the ship to Old Town and followed Rick Steves' walking tour. The town did become very crowded with walking tours from a few ships docked there that day. We then took a taxi to the Maritime Museum and then taxied back to our ship.
Southern California
553 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I read elsewhere that the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is only open on weekends. Is that true? We are scheduled to be in Tallinn on a Thursday next August. Although I understand that photos are prohibited inside, I'd like to visit the inside of the cathedral.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Con El Viento A Mi Favor

2,396 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Quasar1011
I read elsewhere that the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is only open on weekends. Is that true? We are scheduled to be in Tallinn on a Thursday next August. Although I understand that photos are prohibited inside, I'd like to visit the inside of the cathedral.
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is open Monday - Friday (and Sunday) from 8:00am to 7:00pm
It is open Saturday from 8:00am to 8:00pm
You won't be able to wander around the cathedral during services but if you work around the services, you will be able to see the interior.
Services are held: Monday - Friday at 8:30am and 5:00pm; Saturday at 8:30am; Sunday at 9:30am
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
Southern California
553 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Thank you dogs4fun! That makes more sense than just being open on weekends.
Now we have to figure out DIY vs. free walking tour, leaning towards getting a
local to show us the city.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Con El Viento A Mi Favor

NY
689 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Tallinn is a very easy place to visit. We even went to one of the famous restaurants, for lunch.
Our problem was the rain. It seems to rain a lot in Tallinn.
BTW This is the place to pick up your chocolates & souvenirs. Things got more expensive, as we cruised to the other places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Winter Park FL
396 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by TravelingAPor
Tallinn is a very easy place to visit. We even went to one of the famous restaurants, for lunch.

Our problem was the rain. It seems to rain a lot in Tallinn.

BTW This is the place to pick up your chocolates & souvenirs. Things got more expensive, as we cruised to the other places.

So true. Tallinn is easy. Also, we bought the chocolate at the factory store for Kaslov for gifts. After tasting it we were so sorry we didn’t buy more. So good and so reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Koningsdam 8/5/2018 (Iceland/Scotland/Norway)

Zuiderdam 8/2017 (Baltic)
Oasis of the Seas 6/2017 (W.Carib)

Oosterdam 4/2016 (Adriatic Sea)
Freedom of the Seas 6/2010 (E. Carib)
Island Princess 6/06 (Alaska)
Zaandam 3/03 (E. Carib)
SS Emerald Seas 8/83 (Bahamas)
65 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by FloridaTourist
So true. Tallinn is easy. Also, we bought the chocolate at the factory store for Kaslov for gifts. After tasting it we were so sorry we didn’t buy more. So good and so reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Thank you for the suggestion, FloridaTourist. Any other suggestions for gift\souvenir from Tallinn?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island, NY, US
206 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by MaleoMD
Thank you for the suggestion, FloridaTourist. Any other suggestions for gift\souvenir from Tallinn?

We bought the juniper wood trivets, they have a nice smell & come in handy in the kitchen

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[color=#065ea8]com/]
Buffalo, USA
244 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
We DIYed Tallinn and Helsinki. Both cities are easy to DIY and visitor friendly. A good way to save money for a private tour of St.Petersburg
My husband got a wool sweater in Tallinn and loves it.