Tallinn- Tour or Not?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:40 PM.
Ontario, Canada
1,946 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
do you know if most cruise ships have a shuttle taking passengers into the Tourist Info center?
thanks

Originally posted by ROCruiser
We always like to DIY in ports so we have the freedom to do whatever, whenever. Especially in ports like Tallin, so easy to do it on your own. Just walking distance from the port to old town.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
HAL Veendam - Dec. 2004 - Caribbean
Carnival Magic - B2B -Oct. 7 & 16, 2011 - Mediterranean
Carnival Destiny - Feb. 20, 2012 - Caribbean
Carnival Spirit - Sept. 18, 2012 - Hawaii
Carnival Breeze - Nov. 24, 2012 - Caribbean
Carnival Dream - April 2013 - Caribbean
Carnival Conquest - Nov. 2013 - S. Caribbean
RCCL Allure of the Seas - Nov. 2014 - Caribbean
Viking Tor - Rhine River Christmas Markets, Dec. 2014
HAL Oosterdam - Australia and New Zealand, S. Pacific, Hawaii to Vancouver - April/May 2015
Celebrity Millenium - May 2015 - Alaska
Carnival Sunshine - Dec. 2015 - Caribbean
NCL Epic - Jan. 2016 - Canary Islands
Carnival Sunshine - Feb. 2016 - Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection - Dec. 2016 - Caribbean
Carnival Pride - B2B - Jan. 2017 - Caribbean/Panama
Oct. 2017 - NCL Getaway - Baltics and Transatlantic
August 2018 - Alaska - Celebrity Millenium
March 2019 - Transtlantic on MSC Divina
California
658 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Originally posted by newcruisers04
do you know if most cruise ships have a shuttle taking passengers into the Tourist Info center?
thanks
Cruise ships dock at the Old City Harbor, it's just around 500 metres from city center. You don't need any shuttle bus at all. Old town is a little further but you need to go up the hill. So if you have any mobility issues you could take a taxi. Anyway everything in Tallinn is very close and the only problem may be cobblestones which are everywhere. So be ready
Columbia, MD USA
3,384 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by newcruisers04
thanks
HAL did have a shuttle. We did not use it and did not have to wait on line for it. Walking into town worked fine.
New England
1,139 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Originally posted by Nisky411
Just google free walking tour. We took a wonderful tour with a very informative guide all around cobblestoned streets with plenty of time for shopping and lunch !
How long was the tour and how arduous? Did you walk up the big hill to overlook the town?
11 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
We walked from the ship to Old Town and followed Rick Steves' walking tour. The town did become very crowded with walking tours from a few ships docked there that day. We then took a taxi to the Maritime Museum and then taxied back to our ship.
Southern California
563 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I read elsewhere that the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is only open on weekends. Is that true? We are scheduled to be in Tallinn on a Thursday next August. Although I understand that photos are prohibited inside, I'd like to visit the inside of the cathedral.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Con El Viento A Mi Favor

3,048 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by Quasar1011
I read elsewhere that the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is only open on weekends. Is that true? We are scheduled to be in Tallinn on a Thursday next August. Although I understand that photos are prohibited inside, I'd like to visit the inside of the cathedral.
Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is open Monday - Friday (and Sunday) from 8:00am to 7:00pm
It is open Saturday from 8:00am to 8:00pm
You won't be able to wander around the cathedral during services but if you work around the services, you will be able to see the interior.
Services are held: Monday - Friday at 8:30am and 5:00pm; Saturday at 8:30am; Sunday at 9:30am
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

12/1/2017 Viking Mayfair - 12 days - Egypt, Pathways of the Pharaohs
8/9/2017 Norwegian Jade - 10 day Norwegian Fjords from London
6/13/2017 Oceania Nautica - Scandanavian Glory from Southhampton
4/14/2017 Viking Emerald - Imperial Jewels of China - 14 day - Beijing to Shanghai
11/2/2016 Celebrity Constellation - Israel and the Mediterannean
6/3/2015 - Oceania Marina -14 night Nordic Exploration
8/31/2014 - Diamond Princess -18 night r/t from Tokyo
10/27/2013 - RCCL Liberty of the Seas -Barcelona/Ft. Lauderdale
10/14/2013 - NCL Norwegian Spirit - Venice to Barcelona
May 2013 - Celebrity Constellation - Amsterdam/Amsterdam
5/5/2013 - Celebrity Constellation -Miami/Amsterdam
August 2011 - NCL Sun - Copenhagen/Copenhagen

EMAIL dogs4fun
Southern California
563 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
Thank you dogs4fun! That makes more sense than just being open on weekends.
Now we have to figure out DIY vs. free walking tour, leaning towards getting a
local to show us the city.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Con El Viento A Mi Favor

NY
762 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Tallinn is a very easy place to visit. We even went to one of the famous restaurants, for lunch.
Our problem was the rain. It seems to rain a lot in Tallinn.
BTW This is the place to pick up your chocolates & souvenirs. Things got more expensive, as we cruised to the other places.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Winter Park FL
450 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
Originally posted by TravelingAPor
Tallinn is a very easy place to visit. We even went to one of the famous restaurants, for lunch.

Our problem was the rain. It seems to rain a lot in Tallinn.

BTW This is the place to pick up your chocolates & souvenirs. Things got more expensive, as we cruised to the other places.

So true. Tallinn is easy. Also, we bought the chocolate at the factory store for Kaslov for gifts. After tasting it we were so sorry we didn’t buy more. So good and so reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Koningsdam 8/5/2018 (Iceland/Scotland/Norway)

Zuiderdam 8/2017 (Baltic)
Oasis of the Seas 6/2017 (W.Carib)

Oosterdam 4/2016 (Adriatic Sea)
Freedom of the Seas 6/2010 (E. Carib)
Island Princess 6/06 (Alaska)
Zaandam 3/03 (E. Carib)
SS Emerald Seas 8/83 (Bahamas)
84 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Originally posted by FloridaTourist
So true. Tallinn is easy. Also, we bought the chocolate at the factory store for Kaslov for gifts. After tasting it we were so sorry we didn’t buy more. So good and so reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Thank you for the suggestion, FloridaTourist. Any other suggestions for gift\souvenir from Tallinn?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Long Island, NY, US
344 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by MaleoMD
Thank you for the suggestion, FloridaTourist. Any other suggestions for gift\souvenir from Tallinn?

We bought the juniper wood trivets, they have a nice smell & come in handy in the kitchen

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[color=#065ea8]com/]
Buffalo, USA
262 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
We DIYed Tallinn and Helsinki. Both cities are easy to DIY and visitor friendly. A good way to save money for a private tour of St.Petersburg
My husband got a wool sweater in Tallinn and loves it.
Chicagoland
1,133 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
We did a Food Tour & it was fantastic. Our guide, Raiko, was extremely knowledagble & due to having a car we were able to visit some areas outside of Old Town before beginning our food experience. Completely recommend.
This is the one we did
http://www.foodsightseeing.ee/
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Magda
Carnival Victory 03/08/2009 - San Juan, Dominica, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Kitts & Barbados
Carnival Fascination 4/11/2011 - Key West & Nassau
Carnival Freedom 5/5/2012 - Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba & Curacao
Carnival Dream 5/11/13 - Belize, Honduras, Cozumel, Costa Maya
Disney Dream 01/09/14 - Nassau & Castaway Cay
Carnival Legend 07/05/16 - Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, & Victoria
MSC Fantasia 06/17/17 - Germany, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Estonia, & St. Petersburg
Carnival Splendor 06/16/18 - Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas
UK
67 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by mara93
We did a Food Tour & it was fantastic. Our guide, Raiko, was extremely knowledagble & due to having a car we were able to visit some areas outside of Old Town before beginning our food experience. Completely recommend.
This is the one we did
http://www.foodsightseeing.ee/
Thank you for the link, mara93. We'd love to do a food tour but I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what we will be visiting and what is included in the tour. Will appreciate it if you tell more.
UK
67 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by all4hockey54r
Thanks for the information everyone! I'm looking into food tours there as well. That might be a nice alternative.
all4hockey54: did you find any food tours? did you do any? did you enjoy?

we like doing food tours but i couldn't find much about food tours at this forum.
Chicagoland
1,133 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by TGraUk
Thank you for the link, mara93. We'd love to do a food tour but I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what we will be visiting and what is included in the tour. Will appreciate it if you tell more.
I can probably shed some light. Do you want to know food specifics?
We had pumpkin soup & schnapps @ the Peppersack restaurant
Moved on to Gourmet Club Deli & Cafe for Beet Hummus along with fresh bread & a malt like beverage
Stopped at the Old Town Pharmacy where we were given marzipan
Then to Kaerjaan restaurant where we sampled some hors d'oeuvres along with a kefir drink
Moved on to a viewpoint of Old Town where the guide provided traditional estonian chocolate along w/estonian schnapps
Last stop was at the Luscher & Mattiesen winery for apple wine

Keep in mind, throughout the entire time you are walking through Old Town & the guide is providing information on its history & happenings.

When we were first picked up we traveled to the Office of the President of Estonia, not much time but nice building (we didn't enter) We moved on to Regulaarpark gardens & Tallin Song Festival Grounds. We drove back to Old Town & were able to see a bit of Tallin. After the tastings, we had free time to hit the Open Market in the city center.

Great day in Tallin. Hope this helps.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Magda
Carnival Victory 03/08/2009 - San Juan, Dominica, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Thomas, St. Kitts & Barbados
Carnival Fascination 4/11/2011 - Key West & Nassau
Carnival Freedom 5/5/2012 - Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Aruba & Curacao
Carnival Dream 5/11/13 - Belize, Honduras, Cozumel, Costa Maya
Disney Dream 01/09/14 - Nassau & Castaway Cay
Carnival Legend 07/05/16 - Alaska: Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, & Victoria
MSC Fantasia 06/17/17 - Germany, Copenhagen, Stockholm, Estonia, & St. Petersburg
Carnival Splendor 06/16/18 - Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Lucas
West Hempstead, NY
5,789 Posts
Joined Jan 2003
When we toured in Tallinn, there was just a terrific walking tour that one of our posters linked on the site. Everyone, and I mean everyone used it. But for some reason, the link was removed and no one was able to put it back on. It was done by a poster, Lairbear.
That said, a lot of the fun in Tallinn, is following a walking tour, but also, exploring a bit on your own. We just loved to wander about those narrow cobblestone streets, just looking to get away from many of the tourists and find some hidden gem of a shop to browse around in. Another benefit of doing Tallinn on your own is that you can go at your own pace. Maybe you find a spot where you just want to sit and 'chill out; (if they still say or do that ), or want to stop for a bite at any of the wonderful restaurants, or linger to take some pictures.
Tallinn is really the one city where it is the easiest to do on your own. Yes, you won't get all the names and dates that fill up a guided tour, but, for us, that wasn't necessary. We just wanted to feel the area and experience Tallinn.
I would google walking tours of Tallinn, print one out and get going on your own.
It is a very easy walk from the ship to the old city. In fact, I believe they have a sort of line painted on the street that you follow to get there. There is a few block incline walk to get to the top of the hill, but it is not strenuous, if you walk OK.
Do the tour if you like, but save a few bucks that will go to a tour in St Petersburg, and do it on your own.

As for souvenirs, we found that the nesting dolls were cheaper in Tallinn than in St Petersburg, and many people say Tallinn is the best place to buy Amber. Just shop at reputable places.
(The used to have a sort of bazaar type set up near the ship as you walk back. We found some great little things there, if it is still around.)

Cheers
Len
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
There are No bad cruises, just bad cruisers

You have seen bits and pieces of our Baltic adventure, now see the entire album.
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...fan13/baltics/

We have also cruised to wonderful Hawaii, check out our wonderful time in this paradise. will be happy to answer any questions if anyone is interested
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z...tfan13/Hawaii/

Check us out touring the great Northwest and then our marvelous cruise to Alaska. Again, any questions, just ask away
http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/z.../new%20alaska/
New York
286 Posts
Joined Mar 2013
Thank you for your review MARA93. You made my mouth water )))
We love food tours and I'd love to take the tour from Food Sightseeing but we'll be travelling with an 8-year old. I'm afraid the marzipan and chocolate is not enough to keep her interest and she is not going to enjoy the tour. Do you agree?

Jess
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature