Poll: Is Cruising Becoming A Better Option for Solo Travelers?

editor@cruisecritic

Are Cruise Lines Doing A Good Job For Solo Travelers?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are Cruise Lines Doing A Good Job For Solo Travelers?

• Yes, we're seeing more options for solos who want single cabins.
    • Yes, you can often find deals that help eliminate the extra tariff singles pay.
    • Maybe. Cruise lines have solo cabins but they're often booked up very quickly.
    • Maybe, cruise lines don't promote solo cabins and/or great deals without solo surcharge very well.
    • No, it's harder for solos to snag a deal or single cabin than ever before.
    • Other (please explain in comments below).

Hi, would love your input and advice on our poll to suss out whether cruise lines are improving options for solo travelers who don't want to pay the dreaded-single-supplement.

Having said that, there's no question in my mind that other than the extra cost involved with traveling alone on a cruise, cruise travel is an awesome way to go if you're on your own. That's whether you want to meet people or really just kind of hang out on your own. Have done as many solo trips probably as trips with hubby and/or pals, and each is a different experience.

Please feel free to call out any lines in the comments that you've traveled with who offer solo cabins or good deals for singles. And don't miss checking out this thread by SmithAlien for an awesome rundown of mostly big ship lines that have single cabins: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2397292

Thanks.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

I've only solo'd twice (third time coming this February), both on NCL ships with the Studios. It's a step in the right direction that NCL and other lines are offering solo cabins, but I think their efforts early on in the trip to get people staying in those cabins to mingle are a bit lacking. Maybe it was just the two cruise staff members I experienced, but when you have a room full of strangers who willingly show up to a meet-n-greet, have something to get a conversation or activity going! I'm normally a very social person once I warm up, and when I first meet people I tend to keep my mouth shut for a bit but warm up quickly. Not on these trips, it just all felt forced and awkward.

DW and I have taken many cruises together, but since I retired and she still works I've taken a number of solo bruises on NCL. I've made many new friends on these cruises, both staff and passengers. The coordinators I've sailed with did a great job getting the solo group involved with each other.

Charlie.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another sometime solo cruiser here. My SO will cruise if he has not been to the majority of the ports. That rules out repeat cruises to the Caribbean. I am primarily a Celebrity cruiser. I am greatful that other cruise lines are now offering solo cabins. I do wish that Celebrity and cruise lines would consider offering a reduced rate to those of us solo cruisers who have senior status in their loyalty program.

There does seem to be more solo occupancy staterooms being developed by some of the cruise lines, i.e. the NCL Studios, the retro-fitting of some space to make solo cabins on the Cunard Queens, and on the new Koningsdam.

But, the size of such accommodations! And, on some ships, the locations of the staterooms!

But, anyway, it is a step in a "different" direction for the marketing departments of the cruise lines.

Have done 12 solo cruises and it is a great way for me to travel on my own.

However I have probably only got a really good deal on 2 of those cruises.

Mostly do inside staterooms because of the cost.

Would be nice if the cruise lines could charge only a small single supplement.

Maybe even give solos a bigger discount as part of their loyalty programs.

I know Princess give double cruise credits for solos, but a reduction in price would be a big incentive to cruise more with one line.

I chose the "other" option because even though more ships are putting in a few single cabins they are not always a "deal". I have seen cruises where the single cabins were within a few dollars of the price of a regular (much larger) cabin or sometimes even more. As mentioned, sometimes these single cabins are in poor locations and some (like the NCL studios) are inside and very tiny. Although a step in the right direction, until there are a variety of different types of solo cabins and at a price with a reasonable supplement, I don't think the cruise lines are really trying to attract solo cruisers.

For me the solo cruise experience is not just about the availability of cabins but also the solo social program if there is one. Almost all my cruises have been on P&O or Thomson, both based here in the UK.

P&O offer a large range of cabin choices including single occupancy of doubles at reasonable supplements and their ships are modern. The problem is their social program for solos is minimal and is often nothing but a coffee morning on sea days where the entertainment staff leave after about 10 minutes. It used to be better with hosted meals etc but that is no more.

Thomson use older ships and designate some cabins as singles although they are in fact doubles. These can be in less desirable areas of the ships but the supplement is very reasonable, sometimes down in the 30% range. Their more modern ships, Discovery (Splendour of the Seas) and next year Discovery 2 (Legend of the Seas) have 15 outside and 15 insides well forward in a quiet location. If you want to book a double for single occupancy you will pay 100% supplement. The social program is better then P&O. On a Discovery 14 nighter this summer we had a social hostess to organise things including 4 hosted dinners, 2 hosted lunches , 2 coffee mornings lasting hours, 2 pre dinner cocktail meetings on non hosted dinner evenings, all with free drinks. On the hosted dinner evenings we had excellent reserved seats in the theatre, again with free drinks.

Of course you don't have to take part if you don't want to but it is nice to have the choice. I don't mind paying a higher price for a bit of pampering.

There is a huge potential market out there if the cruise lines can work out a way of satisfying it without upsetting the corporate bean counters!.

Good morning:)......I also voted "OTHER". I have been sailing solo for

almost 14 years and haven't looked at the single supplement in a very

long time. This is just me......I look at the total price of the cruise and

if that amount is within my budget. The SS is what it is.....it is just

there. So, for me, the bottom line price is what I look at and that is

how I decide if the particular cruise I am looking at is what I want

(price wise).

I normally sail Celebrity but this year (2016) was the first time since

2003 that I sailed elsewhere. I took a River Cruise on AMA waterways

in April (that was in my top 2 cruises ever:D)....oh, River Cruises have

cabin categories that have no single supplement at all.....so yes, in that

case, I book one of those cabins;)....and then in Oct I sailed Royal

Caribbean.........that was ok.

I am sailing with Celebrity again in February....booked a balcony and

paid the normal price......it is probably more $ than other folks might

pay but since I am paying for me? That is what most important;)

One other thing, at 58 years old, I have lived on my own for almost

all of my adult life and having a "regular size cabin" is important to me.

It is all about priorities and what is important to one person may mean

nothing to someone else.

And hi Caroyln, we met many years ago on the SOLSTICE:)

Edited by Lois R

Hello fellow solo cruisers,

I voted 'no'. IMHO the cruise lines are doing nothing to attract the customer that is a solo cruiser which I believe is a growing market.

In fact, recently when I tried to book a solo cruise (RCL) it was more than 200% of the double occupancy price. This has happened several times to me on a few cruise lines.

I have a couple of thoughts on the current solo pricing on most main stream lines:

-I should not have to take a cruise in the off season or get a small cabin to get a good solo rate

-I actually had a TA tell me to book two people to get the good rate and then have the second person be a no show. This is cheating and I am not comfortable to have to do this.

Safe sailing all!!! :)

I liked it when Carnival offered the 1A cabins at 150%, now double. I like the 1As with portholes.

Royal and Celebrity (and Princess) do give double loyalty points. However if you book one of the solo inside cabins on Royal you just get solos points and often the price is not much different from paying double in a larger cabin.

I like the fact that Norwegian does offer the studio cabins but again sometimes more expensive than regular cabins.

I dislike the Freestyle dining on Norwegian though as often couples and families do not want to share tables and solos end up dining alone.

Sometimes there are deals to be had and I love it when people post the deals on the "Post your Solo Supplement" thread here on CC.

Sometimes cruise lines do have no solo supplement for certain itineraries. Several of my friends were able to book the Radiance OTS Alaska next May with no solo supplement.

Agree with what others have posted. No way will I share a cabin except with family.

The quick answer is no. Some of us have interests beyond feeling sorry for ourselves because we're single and care more about activities that suit those interests; In the past decade, crusie lines have moved towards cookiecutter, lowest-common-denominator, might-as-well have-stayed-home-watching-TV.

All the other answers relate to those looking only at price, don't care about activities.

I voted No. I am reasonably happy to pay 150% but not 200%+ and choose my cruises accordingly. I have never seen the 'late price drop' for solo cruisers. Maybe because I am from Australia, choice in the USA seems to be better. I have not cruised in a solo cabin, but if it is smaller in size I would not want to. To me it is insulting, like being put in a box. K

No they're not doing much especially if you are not flexible.

When I cruise solo I price and stalk a couple of cruises leaving out of the same port. Purchase airfare thru SW because they refund or issue a credit if I cancel.

At 60 days I really start looking because the first price drop MIGHT happen if they still have a lot of cabins remaining.

At 45 days I check for price drops and the best deal. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. But it's the gamble I'm willing to take.

Im not to keen on the small solo cabins. That's a NO GO for me. Living in a box with a bed for a week is not a vacation to me. Enjoying my balcony and my cabin is part of my vacation experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's clear from your poll that you think solo cabins at a low price are what decides whether a cruise is a good option for solo travelers, but I think you're really on the wrong track. The solo cabins might be advertised as having "no supplement", but that's only because they're priced higher in the first place in order to have the supplement sort-of built in (and sometimes paying the supplement on a "standard" cabin is still cheaper). And the tiny, interior cabins? That's not a good offering that makes me think those cruise lines are doing something "nice" or "good" for solo passengers! To me, they're saying "take the worst piece of real estate on the ship, in a size 25% smaller than our smallest cabine, and I know you won't notice the price because we'll say we made it especially for you." Their idea of doing something nice for me, as a solo passenger, is giving me a tiny interior cabin? Thanks for nothing. What they really did was find a way to make revenue off of underused space by squeezing more people on board and selling it as a bargain. Spin city!

I think Crystal is the best value for solo passengers. They're treated just like every other passenger on board (no "special" cabins).....even some of the benefits for solos (like Dance Hosts on board) are for any unaccompanied women, regardless of whether they're traveling solo or not. The price isn't low, but the service and amenities are terrific; currently the single supplement on a standard window cabin is about 30% or so for virtually all voyages, not just a last minute deal or the odd repositioning leg -- but I do believe the new ownership will end up changing that in the future.

It's clear from your poll that you think solo cabins at a low price are what decides whether a cruise is a good option for solo travelers, but I think you're really on the wrong track.

I totally "second" your comments. I believe this thread/poll misses the mark by assuming that all solo travelers are caught up in the "single supplement" conundrum. Pursuing that approach will simply limit your choices/options in my opinion.

I totally "second" your comments. I believe this thread/poll misses the mark by assuming that all solo travelers are caught up in the "single supplement" conundrum. Pursuing that approach will simply limit your choices/options in my opinion.

I agree:)

A specific price for solo occupancy of a stateroom on a specific cruise is certainly something that I do consider. Itinerary, the ship on which I would sail, any amenities offered by the cruise line and/or my travel agent, the port of embarkation and disembarkation and the ease/expense of getting to/from those ports, the time of year, family and personal obligations: all enter into my decision as to whether to book a cruise.

Price, alone, is not a consideration.

Several of the statements in the poll have elements of truth to them. For instance, I do think there are more options for solo travelers vs. a few years ago -- note, the statement doesn't say more affordable options.

I've been traveling solo quite a while, but not often on the mass market ships. Like Lois, I tend to look at the overall cost rather than just at "solo rates." I also factor in everything that's included on one line vs. things you have to pay extra for on others.

However, I really don't care that much about my cabin. I travel for the destinations, and even when I'm onboard ship on a sea day, I'm not one to stay in my cabin -- I'll be out and about on the ship, finding a nice quiet spot to read and people watch (indoors or out), or attending activities.

I have found a line that provides the things I value, and most times does not charge much of a solo supplement (e.g., sometimes no supplement, or 25%). So in that sense, it's an increase on options, along with lines that are going the other way by providing solo cabins (not really a fan of what NCL offers, so I'm not tempted to try them).

I don't look for solo activities onboard ship either. I just want good activities, period. (Why should they have to be targeted to me, as a solo? They should appeal to anyone with an interest.)

As I sail NCL only, my answer would be no. Through 2014 I was always able to get good last minute deals and/or upgrades but under the current leadership that is gone.

It is simply not exciting for me to book a studio (even off season) for $1,230 when I had the same type of room for $750, $545, and even $999 in the past. Any of the solo pricing excludes promos and is a guarantee so that is a no go.

Also, they went from 128 studios on the Epic to 56 on the Breakaway class- at least they went back to 82.

Also, as someone mentioned they shouldn't force the solos in 10x10 boxes like third class stray dogs.

I upgraded from studios twice but now am forced to book a studio and maybe bid later.

Everytime I put a hold it results in dozens of calls from an NCL employee who has no clue that I don't need them to do a booking.

Of the 2 dozen people I was friendly with on the Epic- only a few keep cruising- obviously that a low sample size.

I just booked the Escape for 2018- $1,099 but 82 studios, a new ship for me and new route (Canada) . I am excited about it but skipping my Breakaway one for June.

I thought the Epic created a great opportunity to move forward, but NCL viewed it as a revenue losing opportunity.

The poll is closed but I would have voted no. Of the 6 mass market lines the only one that sometimes have any reasonable deals is NCL. Some lines like RCL can be ridiculous by charging more than 100%.

My most recent cruises include a TA for roughly $39 a day 2 months ago and I just returned from an 11 night Panama Canal cruise for $100 a day. Both were on NCL and the first was an inside and the second was a balcony. I now have to be creative in stalking cruises that interest me and booking my flights early on Southwest. This works because Southwest does not charge a change fee and the fare is good for up to a year.

Overall, I prefer to go on longer cruises and I use $100 a day as my benchmark. I no longer consider Studio cabins. They are small and generally more expensive than some of the available cabin options which are roomier. In my humble opinion, I think that what sets NCL apart from the other lines is the designated solo host. I do not like eating dinner alone as I find it boring and depressing. I prefer a dinner experience. On the cruise that just ended last Monday, the host was excellent. He facilitated the evening social. Ate dinner with the group every night. NCL provided complimentary wine at dinner on the 2nd and 11th nights and the host also got us tender tickets. Those are some of the reasons I only cruise on NCL.

Edited by IrieBajan54