First time going on NCL. What ship and activities would you recommend?

alotofquestions

Hello all My bride and I are looking to spend our 1st anniversary on NCL but we have only cruised Carnival and RCI. We have heard mixed feelings about NCL but with the Pick 5 promotion we felt this cruise line would be the best deal. Any advice would help making out planning a little bit easier. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Hello all My bride and I are looking to spend our 1st anniversary on NCL but we have only cruised Carnival and RCI. We have heard mixed feelings about NCL but with the Pick 5 promotion we felt this cruise line would be the best deal. Any advice would help making out planning a little bit easier. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

First decide where you want to go. That will help determine ship. Also decide if you want a mega ship or a smaller ship. That is another part of your decision.

Read some of the posts on NCL forum. That should also help.

As mentioned, I would spend some time reading the dedicated NCL forum.

My husband and I have done many cruises on Princess and a few on Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We had the opportunity to try NCL Sky this past June when we joined 17 family members on a four day cruise to Cuba. Being that it was a short and relatively inexpensive cruise, there were many families with children on it. We found the food services to be lacking and the entertainment next to nothing. Our cabin was extremely small and had very little storage. Based on that particular cruise we would not sail on NCL in the future as we have been spoiled by the services, food, entertainment and activities on other lines. Not to say that you would not have a better experience on a larger and longer cruise on a different NCL ship - just relaying our experience.

Barb

My husband and I have done many cruises on Princess and a few on Royal Caribbean and Holland America. We had the opportunity to try NCL Sky this past June when we joined 17 family members on a four day cruise to Cuba. Being that it was a short and relatively inexpensive cruise, there were many families with children on it. We found the food services to be lacking and the entertainment next to nothing. Our cabin was extremely small and had very little storage. Based on that particular cruise we would not sail on NCL in the future as we have been spoiled by the services, food, entertainment and activities on other lines. Not to say that you would not have a better experience on a larger and longer cruise on a different NCL ship - just relaying our experience.

Barb

I don’t think your experience is the norm, but you were on a short cruise during peak kid time on one of the oldest ships in the fleet. He newer ships have so many bells and whistles, excellent entertainment, so much to do. However, I prefer the Jewel class ships, like the Gem and the Jewel. I have no interest in 3 or 4 day cruises, just a different feel.

I don’t think your experience is the norm, but you were on a short cruise during peak kid time on one of the oldest ships in the fleet. He newer ships have so many bells and whistles, excellent entertainment, so much to do. However, I prefer the Jewel class ships, like the Gem and the Jewel. I have no interest in 3 or 4 day cruises, just a different feel.

Had a similar experience on the NCL Dawn on a Bermuda cruise. Poor service, mediocre food and little space for nightly entertainment.

Our fave family cruise ever was on NCL GetawAy.

Amazing rooms, water slides, ropes course, climbing Wall, great dining areas, the outdoor promenade floor. All made for an incredible eastern Caribbean cruise. Very pleased with NCL. It made us want to try RCCL but I have a bad taste in my mouth with them from the difficulties trying to book packages and excursions....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey! I am the opposite, cruised mostly with NCL but then recently cruised with royal. I honestly think they are pretty similar, dining is the biggest difference but I much prefer NCLs freestyle approach to dining. The getaway breakaway etc are all fabulous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums