On-board Illness

viator curiosus

We all understand the fundamentals of personal hygiene. And I understand the ships are required to develop and implement customized infection control plans and measures. I have read with interest some published work like: https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/11/1/pdfs/04-0434.pdf

My question to experienced passengers is "Are there specific on-board activities that have been proven to be outstanding mechanisms of transmission?"

Sorry for the icky topic. I'll be sure to compensate with something more ebullient in the future...

Gary

IMO many do not wash their hands often enough. Fill private drinking bottles / mugs direct from water and juice dispensers in the buffet area. Also many who grab on bread, fruit, cakes and so on, and put it back on the buffet.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Your "health safety" is up to YOU! Doesn't matter how many "germy" people there are, or what they touch, it's up to YOU to keep YOUR hands clean, and avoid touching nose, mouth or eyes until your hands ARE clean. Just having germs on your hands won't make you ill...you have to give them entrance into your body!

There are germs and microbes everywhere. 99.9% of them won't bother a normal, healthy person...but those that are caught can certainly ruin a good day!

Some neglects to cover their mouth when coughing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on an NCL ship earlier this year .Nearly every person in the library when I was there was coughing into the air forcing me to leave .I suggested to the person at the cruises services desk that they post signs about personal hygiene and or make an announcement. They said that they will not do that .

Assuming you are talking of Noro virus, please understand that it is prevalent everywhere and not just cruise ships. Other places that are breeding grounds for transmission include many places you've probably been in the past week: mall, school, work place, church, nursing home, hospital, concert, airplane, library, grocery store (think of the buggy handle! YUK!), and many more places.

As stated, do your best to protect yourself, but please don't let it consume you. Wash your hands before you eat and use common sense. Sneeze or cough into your sleeve instead of your hand. Use your knuckles to press elevator buttons. Personally, I love the buffet but I try not to eat anything with my hands - I use cutlery.

Just relax and enjoy planning what I see is your first cruise. You'll soon be hooked like the rest of us. ;):D

I think depends on where you go too. If it’s sailing to a cold climate especially during cold and flu season, everyone will try to stay indoors to keep warm therefore perpetuating the germs. Moral of the story: try to stay out of public areas and stay in the outdoor areas.

Have successfully played much mini golf and roulette without catching the germ fest. Avoiding hands to face or eating until after a good handwash, and always use the first hand gel sanitizer we find after playing on either.

Carry hand sanitizer with you at all times. Never go to the buffet to eat. We always eat at the restaurant. When you cough you need to cough into your elbow not your hands. I know this is common knowledge but I see it all the time. Good luck with your cruise and stay healthy. Norivirus is not great.

Never go to the buffet to eat. We always eat at the restaurant....

I understand this is right for you, but I have eaten most meals at the buffet on every single cruise we have taken, and have never gotten sick from Noro. It is not just at the buffet and not at a sit-down restaurant on board where germs lie. Don't fool yourself that you may never catch Noro in the dining room... do you know how many people before you have touched your menu, the salt and pepper shakers, the back of the chair as you pull it out, the glasses, the cutlery? Seriously. All of those things may be contaminated.

Thanks to all for the heartfelt commentary. Seems like there has been no report of a verified " ...outstanding mechanism of transmission". Lots of confirmation of general good hygiene practices. Some anecdotes played on my own personal suspicions (self serve buffets).

To me, the most concerning mode of transmission is that of airborne infections because it is less manageable by the individual.

I love the the way people's personality comes through in these forums.

Hand sanitizer does NOT work on noro.

Also, over use of hand santizer removes fats and oils from the skin, which are part of your natural defense. It also promotes micro cracking, which leaves tiny cracks in the skin that hold and harbor bacteria. And help them resist hand washing.

Hand sanitizer does NOT work on noro.

Also, over use of hand santizer removes fats and oils from the skin, which are part of your natural defense. It also promotes micro cracking, which leaves tiny cracks in the skin that hold and harbor bacteria. And help them resist hand washing.

What? You mean that something made to kill bacteria does nothing to the virus bugs? And using it only kills the helpful bacteria on your hands, thus increasing your chance of Noro?

Unfortunately, nobody wants to hear the facts. For those that do, use soap and water, not the alcohol gel. Let yourself get exposed once in a while to something other than a surgically sterile environment. Eat more dirt!

Great topic which often gets discussed here on CC. Our advice, based on forty years of cruising (well over 1000 days on ships) is simple. Wash your hands with warm soap and water (for at least 20 seconds) as often as possible and always before eating. Try to avoid touching your face with your hands...unless you have just washed your hands. Use common sense :) which is not as silly as it sounds. For example, DW and I now try to minimize the use of ship elevators (which are like being trapped in a tight chamber) which is a bad place if anyone sneezes or coughs. If you find yourself near somebody who is obviously sick (coughing, sneezing, etc) try to keep your distance.

Bottom line is that using these simple precautions, DW and I have managed to avoid ever catching Norovirus on any cruise (far more then 100 cruises....some with Noro problems). We used to have problems with catching colds and so-called "cabin cough," but we have really cut down that problem when we started avoiding (when reasonable) elevators and assertively keeping our distance from cougher's. There is never a guarantee.....but you can certainly increase the odds in your favor with these and other basic techniques. We also know folks that become obsessed and will wipe down everything in sight (especially in their cabin)....but are unconvinced about this technique. Your cabin is constantly visited by your stewards, some maintenance folks, folks that service cabin mini-bars, etc. And most cruisers do not hide in their cabin for an entire cruise :). You cannot wipe down an entire ship :).

We do use the hand sanitizers which do help with some germs and viruses. But keep in mind that the alcohol based sanitizers (the norm) are not effective against Noro-Virus. The best prevention for Noro is hand washing with soap and water....and this should not be minimized. Princess (and some other lines) have even installed hand washing stations at their Lidos (buffet) for this purpose. But we notice that very few passengers take advantage of this convenient option...which is sad.

Hank

Or only cruise on lines where the buffet is served by staff.

I used to believe your theory but not anymore. Oceania's buffet is served by the staff (a pain in the neck) and their sister company, Regent is serve yourself. Oceania. has had quite a few more cases of norovirus than Regent (verifiable by checking the Center for Disease Control).

In terms of wipes - it is true that alcohol based wipes do not kill norovirus. However, hospitals are now using peroxide based wipes (available on amazon.com and other places). They state right on the label that it works on norovirus. The last time I checked, they were only available in large containers. So, we take a handful of them and use it in airplanes (don't even want to think about how long the trays go between cleanings), arm rests and any other hard surfaces. Once onboard the ship, we wipe down the remote control, telephone and door handles in our cabin/suite. Doing this has been extremely effective for us (in addition to hand washing).