Taxi in Athens and port of Piraeus

circee

I am vacillating between getting a taxi at the port to take us to the Acropolis, walking to other nearby sites, then finding a taxi after roaming Plaka to go back to the port, or booking a private 8-hour tour with George's Taxi. How easy is it to get a taxi to take us from the port to Athens? I know there will be a taxi line outside the port terminal; however, one poster said he had difficulty finding a taxi to take them into Athens as the drivers all wanted to give tours. The other option is a tour with George's Taxi, but I' wonder whether this option would offer much more than a DIY day? Looking for opinions/suggestions (except for the bus or HOHO, which my husband refuses to take). This will be our first time to Athens.

We simply prebooked a taxi with PKTravel. They are wonderful to work with. They were right there to pick us up at the port. You then arrange a pickup time with them to get you back to the port.

Loads of taxis when we were at the port and no issues about going downtown. I would highly recommend DIY. Visit the Acropolis, the Acropolis Museum, the Plaka, the Agora, etc ., all of which are easily walkable.

Thank you for your assurances that we'll be able to catch a taxi at the port. I assume it will be no problem finding a taxi to take us back to the port when we're ready. This will also help me convince my DH that this is the way to do Athens.

Thank you for your assurances that we'll be able to catch a taxi at the port. I assume it will be no problem finding a taxi to take us back to the port when we're ready. This will also help me convince my DH that this is the way to do Athens.

It shouldn't be a problem. Most of the time you don't hail a taxi on the street, though. Where will you be ending the day? I've asked a museum or a hotel to call a taxi for me sometimes. Or if you are near a Metro station, they often wait in front...

It shouldn't be a problem. Most of the time you don't hail a taxi on the street, though. Where will you be ending the day? I've asked a museum or a hotel to call a taxi for me sometimes. Or if you are near a Metro station, they often wait in front...

We'll probably end up in the Plaka area after seeing the sites, so leaving from there. I do have a little fear in the back of my mind that we'd have difficulty finding a taxi to take use back to the ship and get stranded in Athens.

. I do have a little fear in the back of my mind that we'd have difficulty finding a taxi to take use back to the ship and get stranded in Athens.

Which is why I recommended PKTravel to reserve a taxi for both pickup and drop off.

I emailed them from home and arranged a set time for pickup at the port and set a time for pickup from the Plaka.

https://www.pktravelgreece.com

We'll probably end up in the Plaka area after seeing the sites, so leaving from there. I do have a little fear in the back of my mind that we'd have difficulty finding a taxi to take use back to the ship and get stranded in Athens.

That's extremely unlikely.

I've been in Athens several times, both on my own as a cruise stop and staying over there before or after a cruise. I've done just what you're thinking of doing and I've never seen any shortage of taxis. It would probably pay to post somewhere like the Athens board on Tripadvisor to ask where the best places to pick up a taxi around the Plaka area are. There are no shortage of restaurants, shops and hotels in that area, any one of which would probably be happy to call one for you if needed.

We took a taxi from outside the terminal this past October. There were plenty of them. It was 20 Euro from port to the Acropolis Museum. Our driver volunteered to meet us at the drop off point in a couple of hours and return us to the port. He was there right on time and made the day very convenient. However, while waiting for our return taxi, we also noticed many available taxi's driving by that we could easily have hailed. Don't know what the price back would have been however.

With 3 of us, we found the taxi much more convenient and less expensive than a tour or even the HoHo busses.

I appreciate everyone's opinions. I have made inquiries to PK Travel and Welcome Pickups. My concern with going the pre-arranged pick up route is that I don't know how long we'll want to stay in the area before heading back to the port. I'm still leaning toward using taxis for the flexibility. Thanks cruisemom42 for suggesting asking the Athens' board on Tripadvisor for the best places to find a taxi in the Plaka area. I always forget to check the forums on Tripadvisor; the forums are a wealth of information.

Last time we were in Athens there was a transit strike and taxi's were scarce... we had pre-booked welcome pickups. You can book them from the ship to the city and return at the end of the day, which we are doing in May. You pre-pay and they are waiting for you at the Pier and at your afternoon pre-arranged pick up location. Well worth it!

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote here for PK Travel - we spent a few days in Athens before our cruise, and they provided us with both a walking tour and a taxi to the port the next day. They were very reliable and easy to communicate with.

• 1 month later...
Last time we were in Athens there was a transit strike and taxi's were scarce... we had pre-booked welcome pickups. You can book them from the ship to the city and return at the end of the day, which we are doing in May. You pre-pay and they are waiting for you at the Pier and at your afternoon pre-arranged pick up location. Well worth it!

Hi Amy,

I saw that the transit you booked into Athens is full. Would you suggest I book with Welcome Pick Ups for just me and my husband or should I try to start another group? I’m new to all of this and have never been to Europe before. I’m totally nervous about messing up these excursions! I’m interested in joining the food tour with Ropeadope (Jim I believe - still trying to learn who everyone is) and I see he is signed up on your transit. Apparently the tour begins at 9:30. Just want to be sure I get there in time. Thanks.