Bring own Beach Chair and Umbrella to Bermuda?

mirp

We are thinking of taking a taxi to horseshoe bay. Would it make sense to carry our own beach chairs (and even umbrellas)? I’m assuming a chair wouldn’t work with public transportation – but for those who have been recently – could you take one on a ferry? On the buses?

Any information or opinions on the pros or cons of bring our own beach chairs would be gratefully received.

We are thinking of taking a taxi to horseshoe bay. Would it make sense to carry our own beach chairs (and even umbrellas)? I’m assuming a chair wouldn’t work with public transportation – but for those who have been recently – could you take one on a ferry? On the buses?

Any information or opinions on the pros or cons of bring our own beach chairs would be gratefully received.

Are you for real!!!

It would be extremely awkward trying to carry chairs and an umbrella inside the cruise ship, especially when you are going through the line to get off the ship. I don't think there would be room on a bus, either. It is probably better to just include chair rental in your budget for your beach day.

Thanks. It was just an idea.

These are the fold up type of beach chairs -- I would just put them under the bed. We pack light and only have one suitcase for two people in the room.

We will probably rent them.

Slightly off topic but along the same lines...I am planning on bringing an inflatable raft. It's easy to bring on board the ship (deflated) because its light weight and takes up little space. I'll blow it up at the beach (probably pass out doing it...but that's another story) and deflate it when we leave the beach.

Nothing beats floating on the water on a hot day.

We purchased a fold up beach chair that rolls into a carry case and, rather than an umbrella, got a collapsible "cabana", which also has a carry bag. Both items can be carried over the shoulder and fit into a large suitcase. They shouldn't be any more difficult to maneuver on a bus than a beach bag. You can find them on amazon. We wanted to be sure to have a chair/shade without having to race to the beach and worry about rentals. We will find out how it goes in a couple weeks!

We purchased a fold up beach chair that rolls into a carry case and, rather than an umbrella, got a collapsible "cabana", which also has a carry bag. Both items can be carried over the shoulder and fit into a large suitcase. They shouldn't be any more difficult to maneuver on a bus than a beach bag. You can find them on amazon. We wanted to be sure to have a chair/shade without having to race to the beach and worry about rentals. We will find out how it goes in a couple weeks!

Please do come back and report on how this goes. Since so many of us drive to the port, we could certainly bring them, it was just the storage factor (and transportation on the bus) that worried me with regular beach chairs and/or umbrellas.

Here's what type of bag you can bring on a bus, from bermuda-online - Bags larger than flight attendant bags will not be accepted.

On a public bus, you carry them on your lap or under the seat.

So how big is a beach bag?

SBtS

Edited by SailBadtheSinner
speling

I've done this with one chair and an umbrella I by mistake I left the chair at the disembarkation port and they contacted and I told them to keep if for the staff. It fits under the bed or in back of the closet no problem in a bus or in a cab.

I've done this with one chair and an umbrella I by mistake I left the chair at the disembarkation port and they contacted and I told them to keep if for the staff. It fits under the bed or in back of the closet no problem in a bus or in a cab.

I was thinking about doing this. What type did you take? I'm assuming it was not a problem taking them on the bus.

You will not be able to get on a bus in Bermuda with them. That may work in other ports, but it will not work in Bermuda. You will have to take a cab both ways. Bermuda buses do not even allow strollers. In the summer they can be packed like NYC subways....standing in between the seats.

I brought this sportbrella chair on 2 of my trips to Bermuda. I knew I was going to beaches that didn't have chair rentals. It has it's own umbrella and fold into a bag that you can carry on your shoulder. I didn't take a bus though, we went in a taxi. It fits under the bed or you can stand it up in the closet. I just put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-BRE03-575-04-Beach-Chair-Blue/dp/B004ZJNUCW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1375589698&sr=1-4

I brought this sportbrella chair on 2 of my trips to Bermuda. I knew I was going to beaches that didn't have chair rentals. It has it's own umbrella and fold into a bag that you can carry on your shoulder. I didn't take a bus though, we went in a taxi. It fits under the bed or you can stand it up in the closet. I just put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to my cabin with my luggage.

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Brella-BRE03-575-04-Beach-Chair-Blue/dp/B004ZJNUCW/ref=sr_1_4?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1375589698&sr=1-4

Thank you! I really need shade and the ability to go to a beach that does not have rentals is a plus. Still debating.

You will not be able to get on a bus in Bermuda with them. That may work in other ports, but it will not work in Bermuda. You will have to take a cab both ways. Bermuda buses do not even allow strollers. In the summer they can be packed like NYC subways....standing in between the seats.

Sorry but your wrong......... we traveled the buses all three day with our folding pack back chairs

People, If you want to bring your own chair is very simple. My wife and I did it 2 years ago and will be doing it again in a few weeks

We use these..........http://www.shadeusa.com/rio_backpack_beach_chair_fold.jpg

They are small, light and fit flat in a large suitcase. We travel with 2 carry on's and 2 suitcases, one has clothes in it the other has chairs, snorkeling gear etc...

Easy as pie

Edited by Laszlo

Sorry but your wrong......... we traveled the buses all three day with our folding pack back chairs

People, If you want to bring your own chair is very simple. My wife and I did it 2 years ago and will be doing it again in a few weeks

We use these..........http://www.shadeusa.com/rio_backpack_beach_chair_fold.jpg

They are small, light and fit flat in a large suitcase. We travel with 2 carry on's and 2 suitcases, one has clothes in it the other has chairs, snorkeling gear etc...

Easy as pie

that is a way different type of chair. If I knew that was the type of chair we were talking about my answer might have been different. But we still have to remember that in Bermuda the bus drivers will not let people on buses with large items especially when these buses are packed like sardines on arrival day and departure day.

that is a way different type of chair. If I knew that was the type of chair we were talking about my answer might have been different. But we still have to remember that in Bermuda the bus drivers will not let people on buses with large items especially when these buses are packed like sardines on arrival day and departure day.

You can wear them off and as your sitting taking them off and stand them up between your knee's and the seat in front of you. It really wasn't a big deal.

We actually thought we were really clever for bringing the chairs. Turns out about half the people on the bus had the same idea:D

You can wear them off and as your sitting taking them off and stand them up between your knee's and the seat in front of you. It really wasn't a big deal.

We actually thought we were really clever for bringing the chairs. Turns out about half the people on the bus had the same idea:D

where do you buy these? I really like them!!!

I forgot, I also took this chair on the transport, booked through the ship to Horseshoe. It was on one of those small mini buses. I just stood it up in front of me.

where do you buy these? I really like them!!!

Google "Folding backpack beach chair" many places online sell them. We bought them from Costco many years ago, we have about 8 total. Not sure if your going to find them in the stores this late in the season. We paid about $30.00 each. Walmart or Kmart might still have them in stock. I was in a Lowes by me Saturday and they they were already putting out the snowblowers and Christmas lights :eek::eek::eek:

Here ya go

http://www.amazon.com/Backpack-Folding-Portable-Construction-Camping/dp/B0089MZ704

Edited by Laszlo

Why go through the trouble of packing, storing, and carrying chairs and an umbrella when you are planning on going to a beach that rents them? Even if you're talking very portable chairs that still seems odd. If you were spending a week or 2 on the island that would make sense, specially if going to beaches with no amenities.

Just sounds like alot of work to save a little $$.

Why go through the trouble of packing, storing, and carrying chairs and an umbrella when you are planning on going to a beach that rents them? Even if you're talking very portable chairs that still seems odd. If you were spending a week or 2 on the island that would make sense, specially if going to beaches with no amenities.

Just sounds like alot of work to save a little $$.

Our reason is we don't go to the "Conventional" beaches where they have these. Even when we go to HB we don't take the road down to the beach. We walk down the paths to Angle Beach & Hidden Beach. No place to rent anything down there. And to tell you the truth it really no trouble packing and storing chairs and snorkel stuff. It all fits in one large suitcase

We already own the beach chairs that fit into the bags that go over your shoulder -- that's why we were thinking of bringing them. There are 5 of us -- so 5 beach chair and umbrella rentals over 3 days adds up when you already own the goods. Also when we went to HSB last year i felt we carried the rentals quite a ways down the beach. So I thought if I was taking a cab why not bring our own (since we are driving to the port)?

Interesting to hear that people had them on the bus.

We already own the beach chairs that fit into the bags that go over your shoulder -- that's why we were thinking of bringing them. There are 5 of us -- so 5 beach chair and umbrella rentals over 3 days adds up when you already own the goods. Also when we went to HSB last year i felt we carried the rentals quite a ways down the beach. So I thought if I was taking a cab why not bring our own (since we are driving to the port)?

Interesting to hear that people had them on the bus.

No issues at all 2 days in a row. Just be careful getting on and off the bus

Just incase anyone was wondering the rental fees for each chair and umbrella were $11.00 plus a $5.00 deposit fee. You get the $5.00 back when you return the items and you have to save the very small paper receipt. Also its all cash.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app