Key West/Cozumel or Freeport/Nassau

maclipstick123

Hello, please help me clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

So I am taking my boyfriend on a cruise for his 25th birthday in January. I am not sure which cruise to pick, Carnival Sensation - 4 nights to Key West/Cozumel or Carnival Elation - 4 nights to Freeport/Nassau, both are around the same price. I think Cozumel will be a little warmer than Bahamas, however I like Elation's new upgrades (the newer cabin for example). Please help me decide, any input would be great.

Thanks in advance!!! :)clear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

Key West and Cozumel, hands down. Plus, the CD on Sensation is currently Kevin Donohue, the most fun CD I've ever sailed with.

Freeport kind of sucks.

Enjoy!

Anyone who can't find something fun to do in any of these ports - it's them. It seems to be "cool" to bash the Bahamas. I have no idea why. Nassau is easily one of our favorite ports as there is so much to do there. We also fly there somewhat regularly. People who stand around at the port and do nothing may not like it, but if you actually get in a cab or do an excursion, there is a ton of stuff to do.

Key West is one of my least favorite ports. I don't want to cruise to the US. And to me, I feel like it's a short drive from the port that I just departed on the cruise ship. It has a weird feeling to me cruising there. Plus, excursions are highly limited in Key West.

Cozumel is great, especially if you want more active excursions but you will have to ferry to the mainland for that.

Really, you can't go wrong with either one. But I'd vote Freeport/Nassau simply because I think both are better than Key West and have plenty to do. Plus you want to do that ship more anyways.

I agree that the Bahamas bashing is overdone. You can never get into a thread about the Bahamas without hearing "I hate Freeport and Nassau" and "I stay on the ship". Freeport's biggest problem is the dock and surrounding areas aren't designed to wow tourists. It has some fantastic beaches and things to do. Nassau is a great island, but is somehow judged by the straw market. Going to the Sandals in Nassau is one of our favorite things to do.

But you can never really go wrong in Cozumel. I love it there. Key West is also fun at certain points too. It's not a good place for the beach though, especially in January.

Key West/Cozumel, hands down. First, IMHO, they are "better" ports. Key West is the least common of the 4, so when it is available, if you haven't been, it is a "must see" place. Try the key lime pie, have some conch fritters, walk the streets and ride the tram to the southern most point. Visit Hemingway's house and pet a 6 toed cat. And enjoy the local bars! Cozumel has so many options from a beach day to a cultural encounter to mayan ruins.

So many cruises go to the Bahamas, and we have been many times, and done many different things. But truly, for the most part, these ports center around beach and water actives - unless you branch out and look at independent options like the Junkanoo museum.

But most of all, take this cruise because you are more likely to get the best weather. Freeport is north of Miami, and Nassau just south. In January, they can have weather with highs in the 60's. We took a 4 day out of Miami one year in mid-January and the high leaving was 63 degrees...even in Cozumel the high was 72.

KW and Coz are both of my favorite ports. They both have plenty to do near the port without having to do an excursion. KW has Duval St and the surrounding areas that is close to the port. Coz has the port area shopping and is within walking distance to down town. I never did an excusion in KW but Coz has some great all inclusive beach excursions.

We had an ok day at Freeport but had to take a bus to get away from the cruiseport. Lucaya is nice. There is in Freeport tyat's not available in other ports.

In Nassau, there is plenty to see walking around. Vendors are not as pushy as, say, St Thomas.

Key West is a unique place. If you haven't been, go.

Cozumel has many options.

I actually don't mind Nassau. As others have said, you have to take a taxi or excursion to enjoy the best offerings there. BUT, I do love both Key West and Cozumel, so my vote is for them. I enjoy Key West for all the old gingerbread and conch houses (the conch train is the best way to see them all) and Cozumel because there are so many options there, plus it is guaranteed to not be cool there in January, something none of the other ports asked about can promise.

Done both several times and it's Key West and Cozumel as my favorite. Key West is a fun place to go, take a bicycle tour and then grab a refreshment at a local bar (or several) for the afternoon.

Cozumel has much to offer. Look into Mr. Sanchos or Nachi Cocom (our favorite) for the all-inclusive day in port. Google them both!