New cruiser here/question about S&S cards

jojolee1968

1: Yes, everyone gets a S&S card. You can set your kids' cards up so that they cannot spend anything, if you want.

2: Yes, you can prepay tips. I always choose to do so. Then, if appropriate, I'll add cash to it at the end of the cruise.

3: We all wear our S&S on lanyards. My cruise clothes don't always have pockets, so it's a convenience thing.

4: I've never, ever had anyone bother a bag I've left beside the pool.

Thank you! Reason I would want to adjust gratuities is I read that sometimes its spread out and its nice to give to whom you want like waiters...extras for bartenders, room steward etc?

Do most people prepay gratuities? I forget, what is the general percentage they take out so Im prepared?

I don't know if most prepay (we do, but arguments can be made for both). I do think most allow the cruise line to charge the daily service charge/gratuities to their bill and either pre-pay or pay at the end of the cruise.

I find the daily charges simpler than trying to track down every individual I feel should get gratuities. We will tip extra to individuals that give great service (vs good). If service is unacceptable, I would talk to the manager or guest services and try to get it corrected before adjusting tips.

So dinner in the steakhouse, do they automatically add the gratuity or do we add it? Do we tip the kids club people in cash?

Our steakhouse reservation stated it included the gratuity, but we will bring cash with us in case we want to tip extra (might be able to add to s/s slip for meal charge too).

Ok, Im officially confused...LOL...so, its $12.95 per person per day gratuities...so, that would be approx $50 a day for a family of 4 ...which would be approx $350 in gratuities for a 7 day cruise right? But on the Carnival site there is a graph that states $90.65 for cruise duration....help....how much would grats be for 4 ppl for 7 day cruise?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTM2ODA3MDc0L3NpZC9mVTJBS3E1UjNCNk5lb1h0NFJhNUd6MThiV3dzRTZXbDJEMGZUY05KQlBJYzNNd0hiUW1JTjE1UXpuanRPR1dudlRoVzFMYVVJZGVIUHNpUUJ6MnRHRUllWiU3RXc1Z1lNRHNZSjN0SnRNMVB3d1VtVVdhMm9RMkt5USUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D#grats

Ok, Im officially confused...LOL...so, its $12.95 per person per day gratuities...so, that would be approx $50 a day for a family of 4 ...which would be approx $350 in gratuities for a 7 day cruise right? But on the Carnival site there is a graph that states $90.65 for cruise duration....help....how much would grats be for 4 ppl for 7 day cruise?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNTM2ODA3MDc0L3NpZC9mVTJBS3E1UjNCNk5lb1h0NFJhNUd6MThiV3dzRTZXbDJEMGZUY05KQlBJYzNNd0hiUW1JTjE1UXpuanRPR1dudlRoVzFMYVVJZGVIUHNpUUJ6MnRHRUllWiU3RXc1Z1lNRHNZSjN0SnRNMVB3d1VtVVdhMm9RMkt5USUyMSUyMQ%3D%3D#grats

I just paid mine the other day. It is 90.65 per person for gratuities for a 7 day cruise. I am sailing with my husband and 2 children so my total was 362.60. If they billed each of us 12.95 a day for 7 days the total would also be 90.65 per person for a total of 362.60. So it all works out the same.

Got it! thanks! Im so brain dead trying to get everything done...

Also.....I will just have one large rolling duffle bag with me....do they take that when we check in? Do i need a luggage tag on it?

Also, Im hoping just birth certificates work for my girls?

You can print your luggage tags when you print your boarding docs. I am a heavy packer so packing a family of 4 into one rolling duffel is pretty impressive!! When you get to the port a porter will take your bag and several hours later it will arrive in your room. I have had the paper luggage tages get torn off my suitcase before so no I buy the plastic cruise luggage tag protectors for a couple of bucks on amazon. You may also consider bringing a beach bag or backpack as a carry on with bathing suits so you can swim while you want for your cabin to be ready. I also use my carry on for anything I may want (book, camera etc) while I wait.

As for Birth Certificates for your kids ..... that is all I have ever needed for my kids. BUT...I have always traveled with their father and all of our names match etc. I have heard there are restrictions for kids traveling with only one parent etc. I will not even venture to advise you on this. I can only say that my young kids have only ever needed their Birth Certificates when traveling with both of their biological parents at the same time. :-)

Would you leave your credit cards on a park bench in Miami, or NYC? What about on Daytona Beach, or Asbury Park? If you answer yes, than leave them on your chair on the ship. If you answer no, than put them in your pocket while swimming in the tiny pool.

I work in law enforcement, so I know that the bad guys also go on vacation. I have a small back pack type bag that I take to the pool. As long as I'm within eye-sight of the bag, I don't have a problem putting my camera, my kindle & my S&S card IN the bag and closing the bag up when in the pool.

In reference to the S&S card - it's not like a credit card. When it is swiped, your picture shows up on the screen, so it would be very difficult for someone else to use it.

I always print my luggage tags & cover with clear packing tape, using ponytail elastics to affix to my things. Everything gets a tag - I even make a reduced size one for my camera. This way, if I were to wander off & leave my tote or camera at a table, hopefully it will be returned to me. We carry on our own luggage, but it is still tagged just in case we change our minds about checking it. Those tags can just be switched over to the backpacks once we have unpacked.

No one has ever bothered our stuff - I have on occasion had my ipad for reading by the pool & have no problem leaving it. The reason I wear my s&s card in the pool is that sometimes your chair may be on one side & the bar is on the other - saves some steps. Also, we've had bartenders come by the pool, so we have our cards in case we order something. On the beach, if I take my phone, it goes in a waterproof pouch around my neck with my card, money & driver license. If I go into the water, it all goes with me. Hubby does the same. I usually don't take the ipad ashore - I don't typically use it & it just adds weight to the backpack.

I've been trying to remember how we did our kids' accounts when they were with us. I want to say they had charging privileges but we required them to ask before using. Back then, we bought the soda package, so they didn't really need to spend anything. Hmmm, maybe we didn't give them the ability to charge.

The kids do NOT need their cards on them if they are with YOU. Every person needs the card to get off and on the ship in ports. They are needed if you want to get into the cabin. They are needed if you want to buy something, or use a "package". If the kids are WITH you, you can carry their cards.

thanks so much everyone for all of your help! Wanted to also ask...I saw some were saying to bring a power strip but some said a non-surge on? Does it matter?

Also, if we were to bring 12 packs of soda and two bottles of wine, I read it has to be carried on? So, we cant 'check' them with our rolling duffle to be put on the ship to our room? i would hate to have to carry this all around the ship before being allowed into our cabin

thanks so much everyone for all of your help! Wanted to also ask...I saw some were saying to bring a power strip but some said a non-surge on? Does it matter?

Also, if we were to bring 12 packs of soda and two bottles of wine, I read it has to be carried on? So, we cant 'check' them with our rolling duffle to be put on the ship to our room? i would hate to have to carry this all around the ship before being allowed into our cabin

If you are wanting to charge several phones at once I would get a multiport USB charger. it only plugs into one outlet but you can charge several phones/kindles at once.

All beverages must be carried on so you will not be able to check them.

You can put your beverages in the rolling bag - you just can't check it. The corkage fee on the wine is only charged if you take the bottle to the dining room. We always take wine & just pour it in the cabin. There are stemmed water glasses there, which work fine for me. I have no aversion to pouring wine in an insulated cup for that matter. If you have to have a real wine glass, you can grab one at a bar.

Be sure your USB port/power hub/strip does not have surge protection. Apparently the way a ship's electrical system is set up, it is a fire hazard.

I thought I saw someone post they brought on a carton of wine, but I haven't heard of them allowing the small bottles. That probably falls along with not being allowed to bring bottled water or cokes. I would sure call Carnival rather than risk having it thrown away. I guess bubbly doesn't keep?

I think it went in at an angle? I can't remember if we took the shelf out, though, as we usually have some water in there & hubby takes his cartons of protein shakes sometimes. It's like those dorm fridges, but no freezer. I have a plastic/rubber top that replaces the cork on my wine bottle. That way, I could lay it on its side if need be.

• 2 weeks later...
Is the fridge tall enough to hold a bottle of wine upright?

Our wine fit in upright when unopened (to chill). A screw top would obviously still fit when opened, but a corked bottle would depend on how you close it. We have a short profile "cork" that allowed the bottle to still fit upright but just. Decorative stoppers would likely be too tall.

We cruise in less thank 2 weeks for the first time! I have a few questions about the S&S cards...

Do they require everyone in your family to have one? We have two daughters ages 11 and 9 who will be with us the majority of the time, except for a tiny bit of time in kids club...they will not be on their own on the ship.

We plan on putting $1000 cash on our S&S cards in total...is it true that gratuities will be taken out of this during the cruise or I think I read I can prepay those? Can we adjust the amount when prepaying and then also tip cash onboard? I don't want to have gratuities taken out of our cash while sailing as I want there to be enough for spending and dont want to scramble to cover that kid of stuff.

Other question....I saw the long thread on lanyards. I guess its easiest to get one and wear it. I was thinking of just bringing a small bag with our towels and having it with us on loungers but if we get up to do water slides etc as a family...I dont want to leave the bag to be stolen and/or have to carry that around. Are bags generally safe left alone? Thanks for any help you can offer this newby! We are excited.

Ok I always prepay gratuties. When you get that receipt, print it and take it with you. Just in case it pops up on your bill. I actually usually with great service tip cash to the hand of the person that is deserving. Even the bar waiters, stewards and the coffee girl. They dont have to share that . also as for leaving stuff on a pool chair, they will relocate you items after a set time. I never saw anyone steal anything but if it goes missing usually staff has set it aside. You can watch your account spending at the kiosk, it is always good to keep track of it before it gets outta hand.

"

Cruise ships are essentially mini cities, no real reason to believe they are devoid of thiefs."

I guess I just wasn't raised with this kind of attitude. We routinely leave, iPhone, iPad, camera, S&S card in our bag by our lounge chair. I would never think twice about someone reaching into my bag and stealing personal belongings on a cruise ship. I would relate a cruise to a resort, not a city of thieves.

On the whole you are correct, most people are pretty honest. That being said there are reports of theft. People are people, there are always some bad. I have heard of diamond rings going missing in a blink of an eye. Security does a good job but do be aware. I saw a camera sitting on a table in the pool area. I kept an eye on it and about 30 min later i picked it up and took it to guest services. No one questioned me when i walked off lido. I just think the person forgot they had it with them. I am sure if they reported it lost and found would have been checked.

We cruise in less thank 2 weeks for the first time! I have a few questions about the S&S cards...

Do they require everyone in your family to have one? We have two daughters ages 11 and 9 who will be with us the majority of the time, except for a tiny bit of time in kids club...they will not be on their own on the ship.

We plan on putting $1000 cash on our S&S cards in total...is it true that gratuities will be taken out of this during the cruise or I think I read I can prepay those? Can we adjust the amount when prepaying and then also tip cash onboard? I don't want to have gratuities taken out of our cash while sailing as I want there to be enough for spending and dont want to scramble to cover that kid of stuff.

Other question....I saw the long thread on lanyards. I guess its easiest to get one and wear it. I was thinking of just bringing a small bag with our towels and having it with us on loungers but if we get up to do water slides etc as a family...I dont want to leave the bag to be stolen and/or have to carry that around. Are bags generally safe left alone? Thanks for any help you can offer this newby! We are excited.

yes each person child and adult will have a S&S card, you can ask guest services to either completely block or add a daily charge limit to a childs S&S if you are concerned about having any charges made purposely or accidentally to their cards.

Yes - automatic gratuities are taken out on the 2nd or 3rd day of your cruise in one lump sum if you have not already prepaid the gratuities in advance. You cannot adjust the amount during prepay. However if you do not prepay you can go to guest services as soon as it is charged to your account and ask to have the adjustments made or full refund of the gratuities so that you can distribute as you wish