A Good Reason to Choose the Late Seating

GradUT

We recently sailed on the Pride and one night the Maitre D', Ken, stopped by our table to chat. (We were at a table for 6 for the late seating.) He asked how our service had been and we all said that it had been great. He then mentioned that there were 800 empty seats in the dining room for the late seating but only 9 empty seats at the early seating. Ken did not have to "do the math" for us. We easily figured out that part of our excellent service was due to the fact that our waitstaff had more time to devote to us since they had fewer tables to atttend.

So, I recommend choosing "Late Dining" or not trying to switch to "Early Dining" if you get assigned the late seating. You'll appreciate the quicker, more attentive service.

I think more and more are choosing ytd and had this very coonversation with Ken on the Horizon. So much so, that he feared that assigned dining might disappear or at the least, be a distant second.

Full 180 from when late used fo be the fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think more and more are choosing ytd and had this very coonversation with Ken on the Horizon. So much so, that he feared that assigned dining might disappear or at the least, be a distant second.

Full 180 from when late used fo be the fav.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you actually foresee a point where assigned dining might disappear?

That would be a pretty drastic change.

I prefer early. I did late one cruise and hated it.

I don't like a full dinner in my stomach that late at night, I may miss the shows and maybe other things if dinner runs too late.

Also, eat dinner at 5 or 5:30 at home and don't like to deviate from the norm that much...like 3 hours.

I find that 6 pm dinner is good for us and gives us time to get back from port and get to dinner in time. But, everyone has to make their own choice. I do think more people are choosing YTD for the flexibility, but not sure if assigned dining will ever go away. I think if that happens, service may decline if you are not assigned the same waiter every night.

We recently sailed on the Pride and one night the Maitre D', Ken, stopped by our table to chat. (We were at a table for 6 for the late seating.) He asked how our service had been and we all said that it had been great. He then mentioned that there were 800 empty seats in the dining room for the late seating but only 9 empty seats at the early seating. Ken did not have to "do the math" for us. We easily figured out that part of our excellent service was due to the fact that our waitstaff had more time to devote to us since they had fewer tables to atttend.

So, I recommend choosing "Late Dining" or not trying to switch to "Early Dining" if you get assigned the late seating. You'll appreciate the quicker, more attentive service.

We always do early seating. There is no way I could eat dinner at 8:30 at night. Love to eat at our normal time then go to the shows.

Another vote for early seating due to entertainment schedules, eating closer to the time we are used to at home, and not trying to sleep soon after meals that are so much heavier than we are used to. That is a good point about service being better at late dining, but too many other things point to early for us.

We were late dining people for 12 years. We liked the relaxing time between visiting ports and dinner. Couple of years ago we decided to try YTD, eat around 7-730pm, are not rushed to make dinner coming back from a port. Also never miss the evening entertainment we like.

We like the late seating, we like long dinners with lots of wine and conversation. Never feel rushed, plenty of time to nap and freshen up after ports or pool deck, plus there is usually a late night comedy show we can catch as well as watching and joining in the dancing later. Good to hear tehre are less tables there, I like it that way! Always had great service!

Late doesn't work at all for me. I usually don't stay up until the wee hours and there's no way I can eat that much and then basically go to bed shortly after. Maybe people that aren't sure if they are going to eat in the dining room at all should choose late so it frees up tables for those that want early or YTD. Sounds like it's the least popular anyway.

Hey R!

I thought that might be you from another post in a different thread. just confirmed it. Table 103. We sat on the other side, husband and wife, not the other couple on the end. Enjoyed your company. How is S? Say Hi for A, and I.

R

Love late seating and no problem seeing shows before or after.

It does allow one to eat a snack after a day ashore and time for a nap, if desired. Also better for avoiding kids, geriatrics, and other cranky types.

>>GASP!<< GERIATRICS??? You talkin' to me, Bub???

Dinner for us at home is 4:30 .For the first time ever on a cruise (we have been on many) we are doing a 8PM dining .

I still prefer the MDR with the same crew serving you each time. The good crews can anticipate your needs and desires after a couple meals. I even miss the scheduled breakfasts and lunches in the MDR on sea days from years ago. I wish they would bring back that option.