Key West/Cozumel or Freeport/Nassau

maclipstick123

Hello, please help me clear.png?emoji-loudcry-1721

So I am taking my boyfriend on a cruise for his 25th birthday in January. I am not sure which cruise to pick, Carnival Sensation - 4 nights to Key West/Cozumel or Carnival Elation - 4 nights to Freeport/Nassau, both are around the same price. I think Cozumel will be a little warmer than Bahamas, however I like Elation's new upgrades (the newer cabin for example). Please help me decide, any input would be great.

Thanks in advance!!! :)clear.png?emoji-grin-1677clear.png?emoji-grin-1677

You should also consider the amount of time in port. What time will the ship be in Key West and Cozumel?

I would vote for Key West/Cozumel. Take a trolley tour in Key West. Stay on for the entire route and then get off at an interesting stop. I went with Old Town Trolleys. I got off at the Southernmost Point. At the time, it was cheaper to buy the tickets through the ship than it was to buy directly from the company. I was on the Dream when I went to Key West.

I think there are more excursion options in Cozumel than there are in Freeport or Nassau. Also, the Nassau straw market has scarred me. I don't want to go near it again. I think everyone should go in there at least once, but I won't be going back. I find it easier to get past vendors in Cozumel than in Nassau.

You should also consider the amount of time in port. What time will the ship be in Key West and Cozumel?

I would vote for Key West/Cozumel. Take a trolley tour in Key West. Stay on for the entire route and then get off at an interesting stop. I went with Old Town Trolleys. I got off at the Southernmost Point. At the time, it was cheaper to buy the tickets through the ship than it was to buy directly from the company. I was on the Dream when I went to Key West.

I think there are more excursion options in Cozumel than there are in Freeport or Nassau. Also, the Nassau straw market has scarred me. I don't want to go near it again. I think everyone should go in there at least once, but I won't be going back. I find it easier to get past vendors in Cozumel than in Nassau.

Oh yes I should have mentioned the port times!!

Key west: 7:30am - 1:30pm and Cozumel 12pm - 10pm

Freeport: 1pm - 7:30pm and Nassau 8am - 5pm

You need to decide which is more important to you, the ports or the ship. Since it is a 4 day cruise with 2 ports, I would lean towards the ports and if that is your choice as well, then Key West/Cozumel is the only choice. Having been to 40 ports, I would rank Nassau and Freeport at the bottom. But only you can decide if the upgrades on the Elation can counterbalance the downgrades port wise.

KW/C, no doubt!

Caveat: my hubs and I were super nervous on it first cruise (funny to think back on that now ha) and we wanted a cruise where the ports were not so far away... so we did Nassau/Freeport on a 5-day. It was underwhelming, although we loved the ship and our time together. The ports in both places are small and not very impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Throwing my vote in for Key West & Cozumel too. The short amount of time in Key West is a big negative to me, but it's better than a day in Freeport in my opinion. I prefer Cozumel to Nassau. Air temps are usually okay in the Bahamas in January but the water can be quite chilly. Better chances of warm weather and pleasant water temps in Cozumel as well.

Anyone who can't find something fun to do in any of these ports - it's them. It seems to be "cool" to bash the Bahamas. I have no idea why. Nassau is easily one of our favorite ports as there is so much to do there. We also fly there somewhat regularly. People who stand around at the port and do nothing may not like it, but if you actually get in a cab or do an excursion, there is a ton of stuff to do.

Key West is one of my least favorite ports. I don't want to cruise to the US. And to me, I feel like it's a short drive from the port that I just departed on the cruise ship. It has a weird feeling to me cruising there. Plus, excursions are highly limited in Key West.

Cozumel is great, especially if you want more active excursions but you will have to ferry to the mainland for that.

Really, you can't go wrong with either one. But I'd vote Freeport/Nassau simply because I think both are better than Key West and have plenty to do. Plus you want to do that ship more anyways.

Key West/Cozumel is the clear winner in my opinion. I don't even get off the boat anymore in Nassau or Freeport, they are to me the worst ports in the Caribbean. Key West is always awesome, although pricey. Cozumel is maybe the best all around port. The list of excursions there is very long and the water surrounding the island is crystal clear. You can sometimes see the bottom under the boat sitting on your balcony.

Depends on your budget and what you guys like to do.

Nassau you can take a walking tour (free) or book an excursion.

Freeport you pretty much have to book an excursion ( unless you just what to drink or souvenir shop). Last time we visited we took a kayak trip it was great.

Key West. You can just walk around an see the sights

Cozumel we booked Mr. Sancho’s ($55 per and AI).

Hope this helps.

So I am taking my boyfriend on a cruise for his 25th birthday in January. I am not sure which cruise to pick, Carnival Sensation - 4 nights to Key West/Cozumel or Carnival Elation - 4 nights to Freeport/Nassau, both are around the same price. I think Cozumel will be a little warmer than Bahamas, however I like Elation's new upgrades (the newer cabin for example). Please help me decide, any input would be great.

Your age? I would say Key West and Cozumel. You're going to have a ball! Be aware of your surroundings and don't get wasted. Sorry, had to give a Mama lecture. :)

Just got off the Sensation and loved it. But for the choices you have I would pick the Elation to Key West and Cozumel. We had a good day in Nassau last week but I much prefer Cozumel over Nassau.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely go for the Key West and Cozumel itinerary. Too me there is so much more to see in those two ports and they are farther south and warmer. You can read my Key West/Cozumel review. In my tag line there's a link to it.

Good luck!