We are moving up from the premium lines, but I have never owned a tux and don't care to bring a suit when I travel. So although I have heard many great things about Silversea, the dress code feels more formal than most luxury cruise lines. I understand that Silversea has changed from the extremely rigid policy in the past when "you couldn't go anywhere on the ship after 6 p.m. on a formal night unless you were dressed appropriately. Most men wore black tie, evening gowns weren't uncommon, and the atmosphere was that of a charity event at the Waldorf" -- but it still seems like the most rigid of all luxury lines. Do you plan to adopt a more contemporary dress code [e.g. 'Evening Chic' rather than 'Formal']?

Expanding on the previous question, are there any plans to adopt a less rigid dress code for the expedition cruises to Antarctica? We are booked on the Cloud for 15 nights and I worry about having to choose between cold weather gear and evening gowns.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Host Jazzbeau,

There’s been much conversation regarding what to wear. We have been making an effort to simplify and better explain our shipboard attire.

Let me begin by clarifying: You are not required to wear a tuxedo. On formal evenings, you are welcome to wear a dinner jacket or dark suit.

The attire during dinner will depend upon the restaurant where you will be dining. If you are dining at La Dame for example, the dress code is formal, while if you choose to dine at The Grill, the dress code is casual.

Even on formal nights, guests can choose to dine at our signature Italian restaurant, La Terrazza, and dress informally, or enjoy our outdoor restaurant, The Grill in casual attire.

Please view our clothing suggestions in the “Packing Your Cruise Luggage” section here for detailed information.

Thank you,

Mark

Thank you for explaining the dress code nuances. Nevertheless -- and again this comes from experience with non-luxury cruise lines -- often the main dining room has an enhanced menu on formal nights. Therefore being forced to dine in a specialty restaurant on these nights diminishes one's choices in a meaningful way.

I am still not clear on the dress code to Antarctica. Must hubby wear a dark suit to dine in what is the Main Dining Room on the Cloud Expedition ship? Can I wear slacks and a sequined top? Or will we be relegated to dine out in the frigid cold of Antarctica?

Along those lines, are there luggage restrictions on Silversea's Charter flight from Santiago to Ushuaia?

A suit is not needed, all is very relaxed and you'll be fine in slacks and a sequinned top. I have been on many Silversea expedition cruises and all I'll suggest is that maybe your husband takes a jacket in case you get invited to an officer's table and then it is only manners to be reasonably smart (tie not needed)

Luggage is about 20kg but not strictly adhered to

Have a great cruise you lucky people

• 3 months later...
Thank you for explaining the dress code nuances. Nevertheless -- and again this comes from experience with non-luxury cruise lines -- often the main dining room has an enhanced menu on formal nights. Therefore being forced to dine in a specialty restaurant on these nights diminishes one's choices in a meaningful way.

Has it been confirmed that there is an enhanced menu on formal night. Regardless of what I spend on a cruise, I'd rather not wear a suit to eat! The options to dine less formally are fine but not if you miss incredible menu choices. Ready to try Silversea next month on a spur of the moment cruise decision but want to make sure I understand the dress requirements.

Has it been confirmed that there is an enhanced menu on formal night. Regardless of what I spend on a cruise, I'd rather not wear a suit to eat! The options to dine less formally are fine but not if you miss incredible menu choices. Ready to try Silversea next month on a spur of the moment cruise decision but want to make sure I understand the dress requirements.

While I can’t give you specific items I’d say generally the formal night menus are a slight cut above regular menus. Considering the few nights you can eat in the main dining room without at least a jacket, even without tie, you’re not going to have many opportunities. Our 18-day cruise this past November only had five casual nights. The rest of the nights were formal (3) and informal (10).

• 3 weeks later...

We've only been on one Silversea Cruise (our only cruise, other than a specialty expedition cruise with a small Chilean company). We were concerned about the dress code, as we dislike dressing formally, or in fact, dressing up at all. Clothes just don't interest us, and we were a bit concerned that attire in general would be a big deal on this (or any) cruise. My husband packed a navy blazer. On the formal night, he added a tie and wore grey slacks and nicer walking shoes (black Ecco slip ons). Other evenings, he wore khakis and a polo or sport shirt with the blazer. I don't wear dresses unless forced. I took one pair of nice black slacks and several blouses and dressier sweaters. Basically, we both wore the kind of thing we would normally pack anyway, if we were going on a city vacation and planned to eat in a good restaurant or two. Nothing more than that. I was a little worried ahead of time, but we were not noticeably underdressed.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same position but we cruise a lot on Celebrity, Pricess etc and only need a jacket on formal nights, just like you I find it a fag to jacket and tie, we are relaxing for goodness sake.

Another friend told me a jacket was needed EVERY night... He went down without one and the steward provided one, showed him to his table carrying the jacket and then hung it on the back of his chair !!!!....Ludicrous.

Does anyone else have advice please ??

Alan

Actually my husband said my memory was faulty...he took a suit and wore it once. And yes, he did have to take the jacket EVERYWHERE on the ship in the evening. Didn't much bother us, we will probably go with Silversea again, which was other than this a divine experience...but it does make us wonder if we'd be better suited for Seabourn or the new Scenic ship, in planning for the future. However, despite this I didn't see many fashionistas on the cruise. An older crowd, no no cutoffs and tank tops, but plenty of jeans, shorts, athletic shoes and generally comfy non-name-brand clothes during the day.

• 5 weeks later...

Please view our clothing suggestions in the “Packing Your Cruise Luggage” section here for detailed information.

Thank you,

Mark

Sounds like a useful page, but I get 404 error.

Considering doing Alaska 2019 and have heard there are no formal nights. As with my prior Silver Spirit Med cruise, I plan to bring a suit jacket for the not informal restaurant venues.

Sounds like a useful page, but I get 404 error.

Considering doing Alaska 2019 and have heard there are no formal nights. As with my prior Silver Spirit Med cruise, I plan to bring a suit jacket for the not informal restaurant venues.

While there will be formal nights in Alaska, if your voyage is 7-days the formal night is always optional, whereby you can dress informally with a jacket. Details can be found at https://www.silversea.com/travel-informations/general-information.html and select "Packing Your Cruise Luggage".