BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:01 PM.
70 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Hello,we are looking at a Christmas 2019 cruise and have a question about the house wine. 3 years ago on a short cruise on the Magellan the choice was red or white both of which were underwhelming. Have things improved or is there still just one red and one white on offer? We are not wine snobs supermarket plonk is just fine but it is nice to have a choice?
If it makes a difference we are considering the Columbus.
Yorkshire, UK
551 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by triggerdroitwich
Just off the Magellan yesterday, choices were white,red and rose, not great quality but drinkable.
I would second that, from our recent Columbus cruise. There are plenty of alternatives that are fairly priced
Western North Carolina
305 Posts
Joined May 2009
My experience with Astoria and Marco Polo is that a number of quite decent wines of all hues are on the wine list at reasonable prices that are not significantly above the house wines. The house wines are available by the glass which is a plus outside the dining room, but in the dining room buying a bottle and holding it for however long it takes to consume it is my top choice.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
July/August 2018 Arctic and Greenland Adventure, CMV Marco Polo (booked)
August 2017 Round Britain, CMV MarcoPolo
April/May 2017 Norway/Round Britain, CMV Astoria
May 2016 Viking, Lyon and Provence
Oct 2015 Mediterranean Island Princess
Apr 2015 Caribbean Adventure of the Seas
Dec 2014 Caribbean Serenade of the Seas
Aug 2014 British Isles/TA Ruby Princess
Jan 2014 Caribbean Ruby Princess
Aug 2013 Baltic/TA Emerald Princess
Nov 2012 TA London/Miami Celebrity Constellation
Jan 2012 Columbia/Snake Rivers, Q of the West
Nov 2011 TA Malaga/San Juan Adventure of the Seas
Aug 2011 Bahamas, Monarch of the Seas
Aug 2011 Alaska Statendam
Oct 2010 Eastern Med Splendor of the Seas
Aug 2010 NE/Canada Celebrity Summit
Jan 2010 Amazon P&O Artemis
Oct 2009 Danube to Black Sea, R.Navigator (Vantage)
Apr 2009 Repo NO to Boston, Norwegian Spirit
Dec 2008 Mexico/Gulf Carnival Glory
Apr 2008 4 Continents TA Grand Princess
Dec 2007 Cape Horn/Antarctic Rotterdam
Aug 2007 Alabama Rivers, Delta Queen
Feb 2007 Mexico/Gulf from NO, Norwegian Sun
Oct 2006 Nashv/Memphis/Chatta Delta Queen
Jul 2006 St.Louis/St Paul Delta Queen
Dec 2005 Caribbean Oceania Regatta
Aug 2005 Alaska Norwegian Spirit
Jan 1998 Caribbean Song of Norway
Feb 1990 W. Caribbean Nieuw Amsterdam
Aug 1978 Iceland/North Sea Britannis (Chandris)
July 1977 TA Cherborg/New York QE II
August 1976 E. Med Azur (Paquet LIne)
Dec/Jan 70/71 Caribbean Hanseatic
June 1963 TASouthhampton/New York Hanseatic
August 1962 TA New York/Southhampton SS France
1 Posts
Joined Jan 2017
We had the drinks package and frankly found the house wine that was included was rough and ready so after 1 glass didn't bother. If you like dry Spanish plonk then you will be ok.
70 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
Thank you for all your replies, I think bottles may be the way for us, so won't bother with the drinks package. It may even mean we drink a bit less - but probably not!
Buckinghamshire, England
250 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by Catchum
Thank you for all your replies, I think bottles may be the way for us, so won't bother with the drinks package. It may even mean we drink a bit less - but probably not!
Thanks for this cruise info. I have been checking out what's included in the CMV premium package and am not sure if this will suit us. We are not wine snobs but have heard that the included house wine is a little rough. The VIP package at £29 per day each would suit us in terms of quality but I am not sure if I can drink enough to justify the expense. However this does give us coffee and tea and a few little extras for a total of £696 for the cruise! I have been spoilt on previous Celebrity and RCI cruises with included drinks packages and I have forgotten how the bar bill builds up.
8 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
Just back from 6 weeks on the Magellan. The house wine is OK - red, white and rose. Our table of 8 drank all varieties during the whole cruise and we all felt is was acceptable standard.