[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:51 PM.
Yorkshire UK
106 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Hi everyone,

We are delighted to have booked a ' last minute ' cruise from Newcastle next month....We are on the Sept 16th cruise to the fiords. We have wanted to visit this area for a while so we were pleased when a late cabin came up, although we do realise it was probably a cancellation which means someone else isn't able to go.

We have cruised before but are new to Cruise Maritime and are really looking forward to it all....
We have one or two questions which we would be grateful if any regulars could help us with...

In the ' info ' booklet it says we will be advised when to arrive at the port...we have had this before with Royal Caribbean and found out it is quite easy to arrive earlier than the stated time...is this the case with the Magellan? ( We are staying overnight near the terminal and would like to get to the ship early but don't want to get in the way ).

Similarly...on disembarking the booklet says to leave the ship an hour after arrival home...as we are down to dock at 5:30am it surely won't be so early to leave....or will it...? oops!.

Do the inside cabins have either a fridge or a cooler ?...thinking of bringing milk down from the buffet for a late night cuppa etc...

Is there wi-fi in the cabins or only in the main areas?.... not that we need it much but interested to know...if so presume this would be purchased ?...

Understand that gratuities are added on the ship,daily, that's fine of course...presume we can also give something extra to stateroom attendant etc....

Would appreciate any other info anyone feels relevant and apologise if the answers to our queries are already listed on the forum....

Thanks again in advance...only just over two weeks to go...fab...we usually book ages ahead so this is exciting..

Bye for now
872 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
When I have boarded with CMV at Tilbury I have arrived at the terminal from mid morning. I have been called to board at my assigned time (or ten minutes before). In other words boarding is according to your assigned time rather than your time of arrival at the port.

Newcastle may be different as the cruise port is shared with ferry terminal so has to cope with both. Near the gate of the terminal is a shopping centre and family pub/restaurant (Brewers Fare) that you could stop at if you are early. There is a small cafe in the terminal too. I like Newcastle as a cruise terminal but it is not like Southampton. Everything is on a quite small scale. I have always had to get a port shuttle bus from the terminal to the ship (about a hundred yards) and then board up gangway steps. This may not be good for the less mobile.

On the final day I usually leave my cabin at about 8AM, have a leisurely breakfast in the restaurant and leave the ship about 9AM. It was a bit of a mess last time at Newcastle. Depending on your onward travel arrangements your luggage was in one of three different locations. The shuttle bus from the ship only called at one of the locations (each journey) depending on an announcement made on the ship. Chaos was the result. This may have been down to the fact it was a Thomson cruise. CMV may be different. They tend not to be the best organised cruise line so anything could happen.

On CMV extra gratuities are not really expected. It is probably a British thing. I am sure your stewards in the dining room, bars and cabin would be grateful for any extra gratuity you might give. I usually give a small cash tip to my cabin steward but not any other staff. I don't know why I have just not felt inclined. Perhaps it is because the service is not that personal and attentive.

Wifi and Fridges I cannot help you with.

I hope that helps. I like CMV, they provide good value, traditional cruising but without some of the luxuries some people expect on a cruise.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Kawerau NZ
6,457 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
It is nice to get feedback about CMV as we are looking at a cruise with them in 2019.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess
#15 Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)
#16 Sep 17 Honolulu-Pape'ete Jewel
#17 Oct 17 Pape'ete-Sydney Jewel

April 18 Yokohama-Shanghai Jewel
April 18 Shanghai-Yokohama Jewel
May 18 Yokohama-Seattle Jewel
Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess
Yorkshire UK
106 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Hi Stephen,
Thanks for the quick reply....good to have your information which was very helpful...( also good to know we won't have to get up at the crack of dawn when we return anyway... )
Hopefully others might be able to reply also..
Thanks again
Angie
872 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
I forgot to mention about disembarkation. CMV have on my cruises have allocated the show lounge for hand luggage storage. Obviously you would not leave valuable items. It does means you do not have to take your hand luggage to breakfast. It is handy once you have vacated your cabin before you disembark.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
spokane wa.
257 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
We had a standard ocean view cabin. There was not a refrigerator or cooler available. And since you are obviously counting on a late night cup of tea, you should be aware there are no kettles in the standard cabins either.

Can't speak to early arrival or how departure works. We took a CMV shuttle from London and arrived quite late at port because of traffic. And we did early disembarkation with self carry. Worked very well for us as we had an early flight to catch.
Yorkshire
35 Posts
Joined Jul 2015
Hi Badtwin

Thank you for your reply, I was wondering the same about fridge and kettle. Would you be able to take your own travel kettle with you.

kind Regards
Yorkshire UK
106 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Yes, thank you Badtwin, I was wondering the same thing re taking a travel kettle...just an idea...whilst we are not ' out and about ' late we don't go to bed until after 1am so a late cuppa is welcome..but obviously not necessary as such...
497 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by bobupandown
Hi Badtwin

Thank you for your reply, I was wondering the same about fridge and kettle. Would you be able to take your own travel kettle with you.

kind Regards
Kettle are a banned item tells you in the info booklet along with Irons. Due to fire regs apparently Irons ok I get but Kettles are pretty standard on most ships in cabins these days. The buffet has a 24 hour tea and coffee station if that helps. I will be taking a thermos cup so I can take one back to cabin with me I think.

also 5.30 is time of arrival it usually takes 90 minutes to clear immigration and off load cases. If it helps I'm hoping its not 6.30 since we on same cruise
Yorkshire UK
106 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
Thanks Sparkieplug,

Yes spotted that in the info we have been sent...( we were late bookers so only just received the booklet etc )...and agree on the iron etc as you do....also like you feel most ships these days have a kettle if required....Actually I was looking at some of the other staterooms and suites ( you never know...one day ..) and I spotted that suites have tea and coffee making facilities so it looks like only us ' lower ' cabins are refused them...never mind...

Actually it wasn't just for the tea etc but my husband likes a traditional shave but wil have to take his electric razor instead..

Sounds like I'm moaning...it's not that ..we will set out to enjoy it all...but sometimes the little things make a difference to comfort etc...

Thanks again to all who replied..
497 Posts
Joined Jul 2006
Originally posted by HopingForFun333
Thanks Sparkieplug,

Yes spotted that in the info we have been sent...( we were late bookers so only just received the booklet etc )...and agree on the iron etc as you do....also like you feel most ships these days have a kettle if required....Actually I was looking at some of the other staterooms and suites ( you never know...one day ..) and I spotted that suites have tea and coffee making facilities so it looks like only us ' lower ' cabins are refused them...never mind...

Actually it wasn't just for the tea etc but my husband likes a traditional shave but wil have to take his electric razor instead..

Sounds like I'm moaning...it's not that ..we will set out to enjoy it all...but sometimes the little things make a difference to comfort etc...

Thanks again to all who replied..
I didn't think you where moaning I found it bit strange that it was still a banned item as I checked for mum another thing I found odd was it says that Pools will not be filled when in Port due to local regulations. That's the first time I have ever heard of this and think it is a CMV policy and not a local one as suggested in the booklet. I was only in Norway beginning of August on a cruise and the pools where filled then I know because I was in it. Not that I plan on any dips in the pool this time as it was cold in there in August I can only imagine what it likes mid September just seemed a strange one I actually read it twice then showed it to someone else to make sure I hadn't misread it.

It will be fine as long as the food is nice, the entertainment is of reasonable standard and bed is comfy I will be more than happy.

I got upgraded to a superior outside mum is really excited about this. You would think she had never seen a window before
lincolnshire
27 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
we were on Magellan in May and we took a travel kettle with us and made tea in the morning, small capsules of milk were sometimes available on the l/h side first tea/coffee station as you walk in but not the others. There is no fridge nor cooler in the standard cabins. My wife who is not a fan of cruising gave our Baltic cruise a 9/10 and by is she picky about lots of things. Enjoy your trip and ignore the bad reviews as there is nothing wrong with the ship, the crew nor the food. Sometimes a bit of a wait for a drink but you are on holiday with nothing pressing. The waiter at our table in the main dining room was very good as was our wine waiter.We bought time on the Wifi but what a waste of time and money that was. the water in the bathroom is plenty hot enough for a shave, I use the old fashioned double edged razor as well as real shaving soap lol and coped really well. Enjoy you cruise.
6 Posts
Joined Mar 2018
I was on this ship last July on the third floor with the window that was no fridge or cooler but there wasn't kettle and tea bags and sugar and milk. I never used any of them they were there.