Air Canada

shipgeeks

We received email confirmation of our post-cruise flights booked on Air Canada. It says "Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm".

This seems too good to be true! No last day of cruise need to do the 24-hour-ahead checkin? Just show up at the airport? Wow!

We received email confirmation of our post-cruise flights booked on Air Canada. It says "Your reservation is booked and confirmed. There is no need to call us to reconfirm".

This seems too good to be true! No last day of cruise need to do the 24-hour-ahead checkin? Just show up at the airport? Wow!

You are NOT checked in for your flights. When you show up at the airport, you will have to get in the long check-in line.

Booked and confirmed - even with those words I would want to be sure that I am actually ticketed with a 13 digit ticket number, not just a six character locator.

"Reconfirm" and "check in" are two entirely different issues. There hasn't been a need to "reconfirm" on any airline I am aware of for many years. But if you are checking bags, or flying internationally and need to show your passport, check in is still required.

"Reconfirm" and "check in" are two entirely different issues. There hasn't been a need to "reconfirm" on any airline I am aware of for many years. But if you are checking bags, or flying internationally and need to show your passport, check in is still required.

I know CruiserBruce, you must have meant something else.

You must check in for every flight, whether you have bags or not, or whether it’s a domestic or international flight. It’s during check in, online or in person, that you get your boarding pass.

I haven’t had great luck with Air Canada flights, so like your comment, CrossBlue.

Sorry to hijack but instead of starting a new thread. My question is about AA. My DS and new DIL are going to be returning from their honeymoon cruise into Southampton and flying back home to the US from LHR. Can I check in for them online for their return flight and then they can get boarding passes once at the airport?

sorry to hijack but instead of starting a new thread. My question is about aa. My ds and new dil are going to be returning from their honeymoon cruise into southampton and flying back home to the us from lhr. Can i check in for them online for their return flight and then they can get boarding passes once at the airport?

yes

Sorry to hijack but instead of starting a new thread. My question is about AA. My DS and new DIL are going to be returning from their honeymoon cruise into Southampton and flying back home to the US from LHR. Can I check in for them online for their return flight and then they can get boarding passes once at the airport?

Is there a particular reason you'd need to check in for them? Will they not have advance seat assignments?

Is there a particular reason you'd need to check in for them?
If the pax are definitely intending to travel as booked, then there are few downsides to checking-in online in advance and on some airlines there are a few potential upsides.

But having said that, if I can't easily check-in online in advance and I'm happy with the seats that I've already got, I will normally just wait until I get to the airport.

Is there a particular reason you'd need to check in for them? Will they not have advance seat assignments?

They have confirmed seats outbound and return...but just assumed they would need to also checkin online and they won't have internet access..so thought since I made the flight bookings for them I could just checkin for them on the return flight. I understand once they get to LHR and print out boarding pass they will then still have lines to stand in and documents to be checked...that's not a concern. I just thought they also need to checkin online also.

So what your all saying is there is no need to checkin online...just show up?

I guess I'm just so used to checking in online and printing my boarding pass at home, onboard or at hotels.

Edited by Ashland

Some airlines will automatically check you in on the return of a round trip, effective when you board for the first leg. United is this way...you would just show up at the airport.

Don't assume specific seats are guaranteed. You could be in for a big surprise. If you have access to the booking, you can monitor to make sure the seats don't change.

Some airlines will automatically check you in on the return of a round trip, effective when you board for the first leg. United is this way...you would just show up at the airport.

Don't assume specific seats are guaranteed. You could be in for a big surprise. If you have access to the booking, you can monitor to make sure the seats don't change.

Their flying roundtrip nonstops on AA middle of July....and yes I'm one of those who continually checks their flight and my 3 flights I have booked for DH and myself this year...all with AA.

I recently had a change in flights for my LAX-DUB for this May and caught it a week (Super Bowl Sunday night) before AA decided to send me an email...I don't have much trust in them at all...and I thought DL which I usually fly was bad.

It is too good to be true! As others have stated above you still need to check in. Go to their website and you will see a header/link that says " check in". You will then have to provide your name, booking reference or aeroplan number etc. You can enter your passport info etc. unless you have entered it prior to check in on " manage my booking" or whatever it is called. After all info is entered you can print your boarding pass and simply go to the " baggage drop" at the airport. Have your passport ready. If you do not have access to a computer 24 hours before flight time, Air Canada in many airports has a check-in kiosk accessible by passport and booking number. You can print your boarding pass, and baggage tags and simply go to baggage drop. Occasionally depending on the origin of the passport you may receive a computer/kiosk message that you must present yourself to an agent at the counter.

Good luck!

Edited by Cancun01

In the old days for Air Canada, or AA or virtually any other airline you just showed up at the airport and checked in. That is still the case today. Many people just show up at the check in counter and check in. For international flights at the same time they check passports and visas etc as part of the check in process.

When the internet become so common you started to have the option of checking in online in the 24 hours before departure. The advantage of doing this is mostly if you do not have bags, you avoid the check in counter and go direct to the gate.

The other advantage is if your cutting things short, you may run out of time. Air Canada closes domestic (flights within Canada) checkin 45 minutes before departure and international checkin at 60 minutes. Other airlines have similar times.

If you are going to get to the airport more than hour before departure you do not need to check in online.

I would love to just show up at Air Canada's counter but in many airports with check-in kiosks Air Canada ground reps will insist that you use the kiosk and not simply go to the counter to check in. They then direct the passenger to baggage drop.

Also, some people depending on flight class etc. check-in online 24 hours before to ensure the best seat selection and also to avoid the potential of long lines. If you are traveling in premium economy or business class this is not an issue.

I would love to just show up at Air Canada's counter but in many airports with check-in kiosks Air Canada ground reps will insist that you use the kiosk and not simply go to the counter to check in. They then direct the passenger to baggage drop.

Also, some people depending on flight class etc. check-in online 24 hours before to ensure the best seat selection and also to avoid the potential of long lines. If you are traveling in premium economy or business class this is not an issue.

Yes, all airlines today "work hard" to get passengers to use the kiosk for check-in.

Check-In 24 hours before is not a requirement. It is an option that has certain benefits.

They have confirmed seats outbound and return...but just assumed they would need to also checkin online and they won't have internet access

So what your all saying is there is no need to checkin online...just show up?

Yes, they can just show up at the airport and check in there, either at the kiosk or with a rep at the counter. There is no "need" to check in online, it is merely a convenience offered by airlines.

It is too good to be true! As others have stated above you still need to check in.

To clarify, the original question was in response to a booking confirmation email that said no need to call to reconfirm, you are booked. And that is NOT too good to be true. It simply means that the booking has gone through and is confirmed; you don't need to call the airline to "make sure" you have a ticket. You are booked. Checking in on departure day is a completely different matter, and yes you always need to check in.

I don't understand why checking in at a kiosk is a problem. Where the option to do either exists, there are usually more kiosks than agents, meaning it's easier to find a kiosk with no line. ???

Check-In 24 hours before is not a requirement. It is an option that has certain benefits.

When we were travelling to our destination wedding, we paid extra to book direct flights. This was in 2009, before we knew about the option to check in online 24 hours in advance of our flight. When we got to the airport, we checked in at the kiosks, and it spit out two boarding passes. I was confused, and realized we had been bumped from our direct flight to one with connections, AND it departed 35 minutes EARLIER than our original flight! We barely made the flight because the security line was so long--after waiting awhile we were allowed to go to the front of the line, and we had to run through the terminal, with me carrying my wedding gown. It was not the relaxing start to our wedding that we wanted!

During our connection stopover, we went to the counter to find out how this had happened (and to complain). We were told because we hadn't checked in online, they had bumped us from our flight (which as a direct flight, was more expensive than the earlier connecting flight we were placed on). We never received any sort of notification from the airline--we found out only when we checked in and received two boarding passes. We were each given a $400 voucher for a future trip, but since that experience, we've always checked in online. We won't chance it again!

Edited by hiccups

I don't understand why checking in at a kiosk is a problem. Where the option to do either exists, there are usually more kiosks than agents, meaning it's easier to find a kiosk with no line. ???

I didn't write that it was a problem. Given a choice I would prefer to simply walk up to the counter and hand my passport to the agent. The kiosks are sometimes a pain especially when the boarding pass or luggage tag jams.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be on my cruise 24 hours before my flight so can't check in on line , but happy to know there will be people to help me. I was told to just go to Air Canada desk but maybe kiosk ok as well? I will be going from Vancouver to Calif.

Sent from my iPad using Forums