Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:57 PM.
New Forest
2 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
We have just booked a Xmas, New Year Caribbean cruise leaving Tilbury in Dec 18 and will be purchasing a drinks package, but would like to take a couple of Bottles of Champagne with us for Xmas day, New Year (in Barbados) and my birthday on the 2nd Jan! But cannot find any reference to any CMV policy regarding taking alcohol on board.
I have checked through the various threads and cannot see any reference to it, and have scoured their Website with no luck, so I was hoping others may have experience?
I will contact them direct if needed but don't want to wake them up to the possibility if there is a chance they may oppose it.
Rather know before than risk losing the bottles before we get going. Thanks
Essex England
731 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Hi

I am sure that they do not allow any alcohol to be taken on.
I am on a ship visit to Columbus tomorrow and will ask for you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed On:-

Royal Caribbean - Vision Of The Seas - Alaska
Jewel Of The Seas - Baltic and Russia
Splendour Of The Seas - Greek Isl/Turkey - Aug 2007
Adventure of the Seas - 31st July 2010
Voyager Of The Seas - August 2011 - Italian Adriatic
Voyager of The Seas - April 2014 - Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan

Carnival - Paradise - Baja Mexico - April 2008
P and O - Ventura - Guernsey, Belgium May 2013

NCL - Norwegian Gem - Western Med August 2008

Crown Princess - Iceland, Norway and Northern Ireland Summer 2009
Kawerau NZ
6,457 Posts
Joined Aug 2015
Shame if we cannot take any wine on board.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mike
Pom by Birth; Coin-Collecting Retired Kiwi by Choice; Canuck by Family Ties.

Contact at "casofilia @ xtra . co . nz" (Miss out the gaps)

Previous Cruises:-
#1 Sep 13 Alaska Sapphire Princess
#2 Mar 14 Hawai'i PoA
#3,4,5 Oct 14 Vancouver-Panama-Miami-Bahamas Pearl
#6,7 May 15 Norway & Baltic Star
#8,9 Sep 15 Quebec-Boston-Quebec Dawn
#10,11 Mar 16 Buenos Aires-San Francisco Sun
#12,13 Oct 16 Rome-Singapore Star

#14 Jun 17 Round Britain Caribbean Princess
#15 Jul 17 Dover-New York Sea Princess (Via North Norway & Iceland)
#16 Sep 17 Honolulu-Pape'ete Jewel
#17 Oct 17 Pape'ete-Sydney Jewel

April 18 Yokohama-Shanghai Jewel
April 18 Shanghai-Yokohama Jewel
May 18 Yokohama-Seattle Jewel
Sep 18 Round Australia Sea Princess
80 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
Having just returned from a short cruise to Amsterdam and Antwerp, I think it's probably worth taking a risk. There was no security whatsoever when we boarded - no scanning of bags or us! We spoke to other passengers who had brought on cases of wine! Nobody seems to be interested in what is brought on board in any respect, which is more than a little worrying in current times. They really do need to step up their security (and I don't mean to stop alcohol being brought on board).
Essex England
731 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I am assured that no alcohol is allowed to be taken on board. I checked this with three different people.

Luggage is scanned before it arrives in your cabin and hand baggage is scanned as you prepare to board. Even in an Agents visit, I am a GTO not an agent, we had our handbags scanned.

Drinks are cheap. However, a friend is just off Columbus and states that there were understaffed bars with long waits.

Karen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed On:-

Royal Caribbean - Vision Of The Seas - Alaska
Jewel Of The Seas - Baltic and Russia
Splendour Of The Seas - Greek Isl/Turkey - Aug 2007
Adventure of the Seas - 31st July 2010
Voyager Of The Seas - August 2011 - Italian Adriatic
Voyager of The Seas - April 2014 - Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan

Carnival - Paradise - Baja Mexico - April 2008
P and O - Ventura - Guernsey, Belgium May 2013

NCL - Norwegian Gem - Western Med August 2008

Crown Princess - Iceland, Norway and Northern Ireland Summer 2009
80 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
I can categorically state that at no point was our hand luggage scanned at any of the ports we visited, including embarkation at Tilbury. I thought this was very sloppy and something which needs to be addressed as a matter of urgency.
Nr London, UK
22 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We've literally just booked our 1st C&M cruise (Marco Polo - March - Northern Lights). I'd be really interested in any update on the issue of taking alcohol on board (we'll be on board for our wedding anniversary).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Chelmsford, Essex, UK
1,925 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
You are not allowed to take alcohol on board by policy.

Whether you will be detected and stopped is a different question.

The risk might be confiscation for the cruise, but it could be enforced disembarkation before the cruise. Like the muster drill, it is optional (they can't force you to attend but you may wish you had) you may find yourself offloaded before sail away.

Answers to questions like these can be found in their FAQ https://www.cruiseandmaritime.com/faq

There are two on Alcohol, the first about the drinks packages, the second about bring your own. I quote

"Can I bring alcohol on board? It is not permitted to bring alcohol aboard at embarkation and any alcohol purchases made ashore during the cruise should be handed to Security on re-joining the ship. These will be returned upon disembarkation. Details of our All-Inclusive Drinks Package can be found on our website in the Onboard Experience section."

Ship board scanning is down to the cruise line, port side scanning is down to the port. We have been waived through the hand luggage scanning station at Tilbury where they often seem to work a random percentage. However you still go through a metal detector and get hand scanned if it goes off. My trundle case, full of cables and a laptop plus my camera have never set it off so it must be on a generous setting. Some airport ones go off for a single coin. Having a walking stick seems to help in being waived through.

The alcohol policy is stupid, they think it is losing a sale from the bar but corkage fees are money for nothing. If they had some decent wines on board it would be different but our recent Astoria cruise had a very mediocre wine list, no Zinfandel, no Chile.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JG (talks like a pirate) [email protected]
My cruising pages: http://sturnidae.com/cruises.htm

Planned
:

Cruising Profile