Orange Day in Belfast- July 12th question

exnunjhg

We will be docked overnight in Belfast July 10-11. Orange day is the 12th. I don't know much about the events and I am most likely erring on the side of caution. Should we have any safety concerns about traveling around the city during the day, especially on the 11th?

Thanks

jg

We will be docked overnight in Belfast July 10-11. Orange day is the 12th. I don't know much about the events and I am most likely erring on the side of caution. Should we have any safety concerns about traveling around the city during the day, especially on the 11th?

Thanks

jg

We are on the same cruise and cannot find any information on the boards. I will post our cruise on the roll calls just in case there are others searching for information.

Hi

I live about 20 miles outside of Belfast. Although I don't attend the parades myself you should not be overly concerned from a security perspective. Trouble is rare these days and tends to be in the late evening at areas on the outskirts of the city. The evening of the 11th, and the day of the 12th July, are when most of the activity occurs. If I have read your post right your overnight is on the 10th and this will be a normal working day in the city. Therefore I wouldn't anticipate any issues. Enjoy the 'craic'!

Let me know if you need any further information and I will try to help.

Hi

I live about 20 miles outside of Belfast. Although I don't attend the parades myself you should not be overly concerned from a security perspective. Trouble is rare these days and tends to be in the late evening at areas on the outskirts of the city. The evening of the 11th, and the day of the 12th July, are when most of the activity occurs. If I have read your post right your overnight is on the 10th and this will be a normal working day in the city. Therefore I wouldn't anticipate any issues. Enjoy the 'craic'.

Let me know if you need any further information and I will try to help.

Thank you for your response. We were in Belfast two summers ago but spent our time in the countryside. Since we have two days there we would like to spend our time in the city. Is there anything you would add to the standard recommendations of the murals and Titanic Museum? Thank you.

Depends on your interests but 3 nice things in close proximity that make for a nice afternoon are Belfast Museum, Queens University and the Botanic Gardens allowing you to combine culture, architecture and a pleasant walk. On the history front Crumlin Road Gaol have day and evening tours but would require a cab ride there and back. It's only about 15 mins in a cab and allow a couple of hours for the tour. There are free guided tours of Belfast City Hall. They are a on a first come first served basis and it is likely to be a busy time of the year but is well worth a visit. I know you mentioned the Titanic museum but for a different aspect there is a small boat that does tours of the titanic basin where the ship launched. This runs from the Big Fish sculpture. There are a number of themed walking tours dependent on your interests. A lot focus on 'the troubles' but there are lighter themes such as food, music and drink (I know it's a cliche but Belfast does have some really interesting and historic bars). Hopefully these will offer some food for thought.

You might consider going out of Belfast if you have time, perhaps to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum which isn't too far away by cab. Original cottages and building have been moved to the museum stone by stone and the Ulster way of life going back 100 years or more has been re-created. Very interesting and interactive in places.

Rp

Depends on your interests but 3 nice things in close proximity that make for a nice afternoon are Belfast Museum, Queens University and the Botanic Gardens allowing you to combine culture, architecture and a pleasant walk. On the history front Crumlin Road Gaol have day and evening tours but would require a cab ride there and back. It's only about 15 mins in a cab and allow a couple of hours for the tour. There are free guided tours of Belfast City Hall. They are a on a first come first served basis and it is likely to be a busy time of the year but is well worth a visit. I know you mentioned the Titanic museum but for a different aspect there is a small boat that does tours of the titanic basin where the ship launched. This runs from the Big Fish sculpture. There are a number of themed walking tours dependent on your interests. A lot focus on 'the troubles' but there are lighter themes such as food, music and drink (I know it's a cliche but Belfast does have some really interesting and historic bars). Hopefully these will offer some food for thought.

Thank you!

You might consider going out of Belfast if you have time, perhaps to the Ulster Folk & Transport Museum which isn't too far away by cab. Original cottages and building have been moved to the museum stone by stone and the Ulster way of life going back 100 years or more has been re-created. Very interesting and interactive in places.

Rp

Another good suggestion. Thank you!