What to see and do within walking distance of the ship

New2cruise1483

• 4 weeks later...
We will be visiting Grenada in November, and I'm wondering if there is anything to see and do within walking distance of the ship? I'm trying get get feel for what is available that is cheap before I look into booking an excursion. Thanks in advance!:D

There are numerous threads on this so will try to pull the info together all in one place for you :)

New Chocolate museum opened which is next to the National museum

Batik workshop (almost opposite the choc museum)

Carenage to potter round - limited shops (if any- a lovely tiny one on far side of the carenage but gets very limited visitors) but a few bars to watch the world go round

Fort George - up above your ship for spectacular views (two access routes: 1=near vertical, 2=not so steep)

Sendall Tunnall to walk through if you dont fancy a steep walk over to the carenage

:cool:

• 5 months later...
There are numerous threads on this so will try to pull the info together all in one place for you :)

New Chocolate museum opened which is next to the National museum

Batik workshop (almost opposite the choc museum)

Carenage to potter round - limited shops (if any- a lovely tiny one on far side of the carenage but gets very limited visitors) but a few bars to watch the world go round

Fort George - up above your ship for spectacular views (two access routes: 1=near vertical, 2=not so steep)

Sendall Tunnall to walk through if you dont fancy a steep walk over to the carenage

:cool:

My sisters and I were at this port in April and we got on the hop on hop off trolley that we picked up at the cruise port. It was about $20 cash I believe. We had a blast. The operator gave a great narrative of the area. The city is beautiful. You can get off at any time and then wait for the next trolley to come around. We got off near the tunnel, took a cab to the beach, then took a water taxi back to the boat. Can't remember the cab cost. I think the water taxi was $5 per person. It was a great port and my favorite on the cruise. The whole island smells like pumpkin pie. :D

• 1 year later...
When I do a search on Google maps, it’s says it’s only a 6 min walk to the House of Chocolate from the cruise pier. Has anyone actually walked this that can confirm? Thanks.

On our most recent visit to Grenada in February, we passed it but didn’t go in. 6 minutes sounds about right.

• 2 weeks later...

There was also a "farmers market" right outside of the terminal and we found a small bar down an ally across the street from the pier. The walk up to Fort George is one hell of a walk, but the views were nice.

-f-

• 2 weeks later...
We will be visiting Grenada in November, and I'm wondering if there is anything to see and do within walking distance of the ship? I'm trying get get feel for what is available that is cheap before I look into booking an excursion. Thanks in advance!:D

Are you on the Breeze? We are visiting also in November. I want to spend time in the Carenage visiting the National museum, House of Chocolate. I’ve read on Trip Advisor that Nutmegs restaurant has good cold beers and rum punch. I’m wondering if squeezing in a 4 hour excursion in morning will give me enough time to tour St George and relax/walk around the Carenage? Kind of subjective but I’d appreciate any insights.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's one of my favorite ports because the harbor area is so picturesque and beautiful. I keep praying that no one will try to 'modernize' it and spoil the beauty. No high rises! So, we like to walk through the tunnel and around the carenage, then up the hills to the ruined church and the fort.

We have also done an island tour and hope sometime to snorkel the sculture garden; our tour was cancelled for murky sea conditions last time.