Why would people go to Wal-Mart in Puerto Vallarta

Schplinky

Adult beverages, made in Mexico, have gone up a little but still remain a real bargain. Grocery stores, in general, have some of the best liquor selection & prices in Vallarta. There is a Soriano's immediately south of the port.

It is helpful to know the general price of liquor back home so you can judge what is a bargain in Mexico.

Keep in mind that posted prices are in Mexican pesos and the exchange rate today is just a little more than 13 pesos for 1 USD. The "$" is used in Mexico and the rare pricing in US Dollars will specifically have USD displayed.

Enjoy!

The prices shown in that old post aren't just for things made in Mexico. Smirnoff Vodka for instance was a killer price. Pretty much everything they showed in the pictures was quite a bit cheaper than here in California. Of course I don't suppose Princess will let me buy a bunch of cheap liquor and then take it back on the ship...

The prices shown in that old post aren't just for things made in Mexico. Smirnoff Vodka for instance was a killer price. Pretty much everything they showed in the pictures was quite a bit cheaper than here in California. Of course I don't suppose Princess will let me buy a bunch of cheap liquor and then take it back on the ship...

Actually, Princess will allow you bring aboard liquor at port stops. The nice person at the security checkpoint will direct you toward a table where they will collect that liquor, hold it for the remainder of the cruise and return it to you the last night while you're packing your bags.

While it is difficult for an individual to do it with a case of booze, I have been told that some people actually walk past the collection table and take that one or two bottles, in their backpack, directly to their cabin.

Smirnoff ... really ... then again, you did say cheap liquor. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Actually, Princess will allow you bring aboard liquor at port stops. The nice person at the security checkpoint will direct you toward a table where they will collect that liquor, hold it for the remainder of the cruise and return it to you the last night while you're packing your bags.

While it is difficult for an individual to do it with a case of booze, I have been told that some people actually walk past the collection table and take that one or two bottles, in their backpack, directly to their cabin.

Smirnoff ... really ... then again, you did say cheap liquor. :rolleyes:

Enjoy!

Smirnoff was just an example of something not "made in Mexico". It wasn't meant as an example of something to covet. [emoji12]

There seemed to be quite a variety of things available and they all showed pricing far below US retail. I actually prefer Cazadores to many of the far pricier tequilas and there "should" be a lot of other goodies there as well.

I don't really need to stock up on liquor. My main question really concerned whether this pricing was still the norm and whether you could still get the "day pass" at Sam's by showing your cruise card.

Edited by Thrak

• 3 years later...

A tie for what was then Formal Night...they didn't sell ties so we ended up at the Liverpool store &, for a price I don't remember but thought at the time was quite high, hubby found a tie, which he has never worn again.

• 3 weeks later...
Is the Walmart still there? I think a post on page 5 said it was moving

It is still there :). A few years ago Walmart opened a new super store in a location about 1 mile from the store that sits across from the port. Many of us who lived in PV...expected Walmart to close the older location near the ships...but it has never happened.

Hank

The walmart is the best place to purchase Saphron. It's a flower that is used in Italian cooking With rice. Also vanilla, the real stuff. You'll save $s

Wow, I didn't think saffron grew in Mexico! I have to look this up. I was already planning on stocking up on cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate.

Yes they do

Hi Ine :). So now we know the secret...that you go to Costco for lunch. Costco also sells Johnsonville hot dogs (to take home) which has served me well for a few years in PV.

Hank

Wow, I didn't think saffron grew in Mexico! I have to look this up. I was already planning on stocking up on cinnamon, vanilla and chocolate.

They also sell local Sea of Cortez salt. In the salt section, not the tourist section.

We have been on World Cruises with a stop at PV.

Once in awhile we need a few additional items and Walmart is convenient.

Keith

The onboard shops are convenient for those 'few additional items' too, no?

• 3 weeks later...

One cruise we forgot deodorant and bought some on the ship. What we would normally pay a few dollars for at home was $7.95 on the ship! Sunscreen is also expensive on the ship. That's why we sometimes go to Walmart in PV or Cancun.

Can those familiar with the Cabo or PV Walmart answer this:

Do they have a decent mixture of US brands for foods? If I want to buy yogurt for example, will they only have Mexican brands or also sell Chobani?

The same for bread, milk, etc..

Thank you!

LB

One cruise we forgot deodorant and bought some on the ship. What we would normally pay a few dollars for at home was $7.95 on the ship! Sunscreen is also expensive on the ship. That's why we sometimes go to Walmart in PV or Cancun.

So, I'm guessing, that you've spent upwards of thousands of dollars for your cruise, and you are concerned about saving a few cents (US) at the local Walmart in PV... do I have this right?

Can those familiar with the Cabo or PV Walmart answer this:

Do they have a decent mixture of US brands for foods? If I want to buy yogurt for example, will they only have Mexican brands or also sell Chobani?

The same for bread, milk, etc..

Thank you!

LB

Yogurt is usually available onboard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

So, I'm guessing, that you've spent upwards of thousands of dollars for your cruise, and you are concerned about saving a few cents (US) at the local Walmart in PV... do I have this right?
Yes, you have it right. They are concerned and that's OK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

Amazing that this thread has been viewed more than 70,000 times :). So let me confess that we are very frequent cruisers (far more than 1000 days on cruises over 40+ years). We are also winter residents of Puerto Vallarta (for the past 12 years) and have long been confused about the Walmart love affair expressed by many cruisers. We live in PV for about 10 weeks a year....and if we stop at Walmart once in those 10 weeks it is one time too many :). But for fellow cruisers we offer these words. You are paying a lot of money for a cruise vacation and your time in port is very limited. Why on earth anyone would take 1+ hours away from their port day to go to Walmart is something we just do not understand. Yes, you might save a few dollars on some deodorant. But you are paying far more per hour for your visit then what you will save on that purchase :). PV (and most other ports) can be lots of fun and you have a chance to enjoy the real Mexico....not the inside of a Walmart.

Hank

We went to the WalMart in PV and bought dramamine, 100% vanilla, and wine. We paid $18 for a bottle that was $72 onboard the ship. We walked through ship security with the wine and they said nothing so we enjoyed the wine and the $54 savings. Most of the vanilla we saw in Mexico was not 100% but it was at WalMart.

• 3 weeks later...

question-is the Walmart still right by the ship in PV? We are on Carnival Splendor 7/18 & might check it out if its convenient for vanilla & forgotten items needed.

We did NCL Epic Med cruise last year and we loved going into all the markets, so different !! There were some amazing markets in Barcelona as well as open air market in Cannes. sigh.

Carnival allows each passenger to bring aboard a 12 pk of soda at embarkation. Does anyone know if Carnival allows passengers to bring 12 pk soda back onboard from port for consumption on cruise?

I know booze is kept til the end of the cruise, but does Carnival allow reboarding with sodas water etc?

Thanks much

Liz in LB