Bicycles in Victoria

Anyone know anything about Victoria bike rentals? I know they are very close to the terminal. I am looking for rates/availability/rental selection for my cruise in May, and I have been unsuccessful in reaching them by email or phone in the last couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing except what I can find online myself - that they launched last season, specialize in rentals to cruisers so logically don't operate except when the season begins, but that it's concerning they don't even answer the phone or emails... personally I'd assume worst-case, that they tried it last year, didn't make enough cash and folded (let's face it, if they DID make enough cash from just May through October and not even every day of the week, they were gouging the heck out of their customers compared to other companies open year-round!!!) and look for alternatives...

If you don't want an actual tour, just bikes, then Cycle BC has a Victoria branch and it's easily reached on foot. Next to Miniature World, down in the Inner Harbour area (Empress Hotel is a good landmark). These guys run year-round, offer scooters/electric bikes/motorcycles as well as regular bikes, and have a solid rep.

For a tour guide, The Pedaler offers tours - private and open groups - and will also rent bikes, and are also easily found in the same part of downtown (even slightly closer to the pier).

Nothing except what I can find online myself - that they launched last season, specialize in rentals to cruisers so logically don't operate except when the season begins, but that it's concerning they don't even answer the phone or emails... personally I'd assume worst-case, that they tried it last year, didn't make enough cash and folded (let's face it, if they DID make enough cash from just May through October and not even every day of the week, they were gouging the heck out of their customers compared to other companies open year-round!!!) and look for alternatives...

If you don't want an actual tour, just bikes, then Cycle BC has a Victoria branch and it's easily reached on foot. Next to Miniature World, down in the Inner Harbour area (Empress Hotel is a good landmark). These guys run year-round, offer scooters/electric bikes/motorcycles as well as regular bikes, and have a solid rep.

For a tour guide, The Pedaler offers tours - private and open groups - and will also rent bikes, and are also easily found in the same part of downtown (even slightly closer to the pier).

Thanks. I have come across those other people too, but I was hoping for the one since it is literally Right by the ships :) I just want the bike, to maximize my time in Victoria, and to get some exercise! I’ll check out those other 2 though.

Thanks. I have come across those other people too, but I was hoping for the one since it is literally Right by the ships :) I just want the bike, to maximize my time in Victoria, and to get some exercise! I’ll check out those other 2 though.

I've sent an email to the Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition (http://gvcc.bc.ca/) and asking them for recommendations.

A bike rental just as transportation to/from Ogden Point/downtown would be great.

I'll post back if I get a response.

I've sent an email to the Greater Victoria Cycling Coalition (http://gvcc.bc.ca/) and asking them for recommendations.

A bike rental just as transportation to/from Ogden Point/downtown would be great.

I'll post back if I get a response.

I got the response...

Victoria has a bike sharing service called U-Bicycle. The bikes are scattered around the city, and I believe you can locate them using an app. I've never actually used the service, but I've heard good things! You can check out their website here: https://www.ubike.cn/en/.

Looks like they have a $50 refundable deposit, then $1 per 30 min rate which seems very reasonable to me.

I did hear back from a lovely person who owns Victoria Bike Rentals, the one I contacted a few times. They were out of the country. I now have a bike reserved, around $30 for the day including a helmet, lock, light, map and backpack if needed. They were very friendly and easy to deal with and they are right at the pier.

As far as city-sponsored bike shares go, I LOOOOOOOVE the idea of them, in my opinion, the execution is just eh. I think they are great for when you are spending a few days I the city, and the majority of what you will be doing is not biking, but in my opinion they are heavy, fixed gear, and not always maintained as far as tire pressure etc. once I was in savannah and got about 3 blocks, my partner way ahead of me (not carrying his cell phone!) and I realized the tire was flat. By the time I returned the bike, got a new one, and found him, it was 3 hours later!

• 3 weeks later...

"For a tour guide, The Pedaler offers tours - private and open groups - and will also rent bikes, and are also easily found in the same part of downtown (even slightly closer to the pier)."

We took a tour with them and it was fabulous! It was customized to our preferences and they were very nice.