Golden Princess to Tasmania, questions

Hi all, I'll be on a 5 Day cruise to Tassie in December, including Wineglass Bay scenic cruising, overnight in Hobart, and Port Arthur. I have never cruised Princess, nor been to Tassie.

What is the best way to see Port Arthur - I've heard mention of free guided tours?

In Hobart, we'll firstly visit my Aunt who lives in a nursing home there, and MONA. What else is a must see/do/eat? We are fairly casual people - not fine dining as such, any favourite haunts welcome!

We'll be there on weekdays, so no Salamanca market.

Our trip is listed in the brochure as an "Ocean Medallion" cruise, though it says nothing about it for that specific cruise online. I had to look up what that was, and kind of got gist of it, but also see there were troubles with the roll out, I can't find any new information about whether it's still going ahead as planned for Golden. Nor can I see if they give you something to "wear" this pendant with, or if you have to buy something.

Also, any experience with dietary requests? My daughter is vegan, their process is different to Carnival. Ie Carnival has soy milk readily available, with Princess I had to select "lactose intolerant" in order to pre-order soy milk. So even though they had a blurb about vegan, I had choose vegetarian and then lactose intolerant. The MDR on Carnival does a great job, hoping for the same on Princess. I'll go see the Maitre D on boarding day.

Oh also, it's just before Christmas, do you think they'll be decorated and have any Christmasy things going on? It's 17th-22nd of December. Will be nice to skip some of pre-Christmas rush at home!

Any random tips welcome, thank you!!

Let me try with a few

1. Port Arthur,

There are a multitude of options.

The guided tours are good, but we have found it very easy to get around yourself with lots of informative signs.

Try to get in the Isle of the Dead and Point Puer (boys prison tour) its a ferry ride to the Iske if the Dead (cemetery) with lots of interesting facts about officers and convicts buried there, then on to Point Puer (I haven’t done that part so am not sure what they currently talk about but imagine they cover stories of some of the Kids) and some spectacular scenery, now that I’ve seen many times. It is I think an extra charge.

If you have mobility issues there are also carts running between stops.

Hobart

Lunch, Muir seafood at Constitution dock, or even the takeaway from a converted trawler on the dock is great.

I doubt after visiting your aunt and MONA you’ll have time for much else.

Also, any experience with dietary requests? My daughter is vegan, their process is different to Carnival. Ie Carnival has soy milk readily available, with Princess I had to select "lactose intolerant" in order to pre-order soy milk. So even though they had a blurb about vegan, I had choose vegetarian and then lactose intolerant. The MDR on Carnival does a great job, hoping for the same on Princess. I'll go see the Maitre D on boarding day.

Mrs Gut isn’t strictly Vegan but 95% and has never had an issue, if there isn’t something on the menu one night that suits, ask, they will bend over backwards to find you something.

Oh should have said Mrs g never pre lists as Vegan, just goes with the flow, but if you list as vegan diet the maitre’d will visit you each night to see if anything suits on the next days menu or can be varied.

Oh also, it's just before Christmas, do you think they'll be decorated and have any Christmasy things going on? It's 17th-22nd of December. Will be nice to skip some of pre-Christmas rush at home!

At that time of year she is sure to be fully decorated.

What is your actual itinerary, as we will be down there around the same time.

Oh one more question - Princess offers an evening Ghost Tour for Hobart, has anyone done it? We love ghost tours, though sometimes they're a bit hit-and-miss.

And finally.

Never done the ghost tour, but heard good things about it.

Many are certain that parts of PA are actually haunted, given how many lives have been lost there, if there are ghosts it’s one spot you’d expect to find some.

Not sure which days you are in Hobart, but remember Mona is closed on Tuesdays.

I have been caught out.

Yeah.

And if there in a Saturday Salamanca Markets are a good visit if that’s your kind of thing, it is Mrs G’s.

I was recently at Port Arthur with Carnival. Free guides met us at the dock and took us in groups for a short but very informative tour. Lasted about 30 mins. Worth doing. Also, volunteers hand out a brochure as you disembark, grab one as it has a very useful map of the site. After the tour, I just explored the entire site using the free map as a guide.

In Hobart, if you are interested in museums, there is an excellent museum with free entry that is a short walk from where you dock.

Thank you, this is so helpful! Thankfully Hobart is a Wednesday, so we can go to MONA

Gut, our exact itinerary is:

Mon Dec 17 depart Melbourne

Tue Dec 18 - Wineglass Bay & Oyst Scenic Cruising

Wed Dec 19 - Hobart Overnight

Thu Dec 20 - Port Arthur

Fri Dec 21 - At Sea

Sat Dec 22 - Melbourne

(And I'm back at work the very next day on the Sunday!!)

Will definitely look into the Port Arthur suggestions, and really glad to hear the MDR will be helpful.

JessBT - thank you that's awesome to know, that's what we love so much about ghost tours, it's a fun way to learn the history of a place

Thanks again

Aussielozzie - thank you I'll look into that too, Princess has only listed expensive tours and I'd rather not when it's unnecessary, and thanks for the heads up for MONA too, I didn't know about the ferry!

Thank you, this is so helpful! Thankfully Hobart is a Wednesday, so we can go to MONA

Gut, our exact itinerary is:

Mon Dec 17 depart Melbourne

Tue Dec 18 - Wineglass Bay & Oyst Scenic Cruising

Wed Dec 19 - Hobart Overnight

Thu Dec 20 - Port Arthur

Fri Dec 21 - At Sea

Sat Dec 22 - Melbourne

(And I'm back at work the very next day on the Sunday!!)

Will definitely look into the Port Arthur suggestions, and really glad to hear the MDR will be helpful.

JessBT - thank you that's awesome to know, that's what we love so much about ghost tours, it's a fun way to learn the history of a place

Thanks again

We are a few days ahead of you.

15 Burnie

17 Hobart

19 Melb

I think

Just strolling around Port Arthur is great. The area is lovely. Lots to see in Hobart, try googling attractions. Hire a car and drive up Mount Wellington, inspect the shot tower, just about every 'out of town' cafe does great Devonshire Teas. Walk up to the Cat & Fiddle Arcade and watch the routine. Visit the Whisky cafe and sample their expensive but superb whiskies. So much to see and do in Hobart, a great small city.

Steve.

Golden is a beautiful ship, you will love her and the food was great.

In Hobart, the HOHO is a great way to get around - hop on hop off bus tour, has commentary, drives around a route in Hobart town (there are maps) and as it says you can hop on or off for 24 or 48 hours. Pick it up near where the ship berths at the harbour.

Enjoy Tassie [emoji41]

NB just checked - it’s actually called Red Decker in Hobart :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to it, both the ship and Tassie! I feel a bit bad that I've never been before, since it's so close. Though that's part of the problem - it's so close I think "oh I can go there anytime, I'll go to Paris!". One day I'd like to take my car over on the Spirit, hopefully this will give me a taste for it and I'll do that one day soon!

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to it, both the ship and Tassie! I feel a bit bad that I've never been before, since it's so close. Though that's part of the problem - it's so close I think "oh I can go there anytime, I'll go to Paris!". One day I'd like to take my car over on the Spirit, hopefully this will give me a taste for it and I'll do that one day soon!

I am sure you will love it, and visit again in the future as it is so close.:D