Ship/Cruise review.... really?

More than my fair share of the sun / shade on my cruise ??! Its been done for many years

Just book

P.O.S.H.

Port out Starboard Home ... problem solved

Regards

John (Regretting the Levant) the silken girls and cool sherbet ...

More than my fair share of the sun / shade on my cruise ??! Its been done for many years

Just book

P.O.S.H.

Regards

That only works for some cruises though.

Before our first cruise in 1983, the only research I did was to ask my travel agent several questions. Once we were on board, we found she was wrong on every point. We later found out she was totally incompetent. She soon went out of business. Now we are fortunate - members of Cruise Critic can answer virtually any question we can think of, and many we didn't think of. :D

Before our first cruise in 1983, the only research I did was to ask my travel agent several questions. Once we were on board, we found she was wrong on every point. We later found out she was totally incompetent. She soon went out of business. Now we are fortunate - members of Cruise Critic can answer virtually any question we can think of, and many we didn't think of. :D

Isn't it wonderful!! Not only answer general questions but specific questions on cabin location, plugs, balconies, food etc. For me the preparation and learning about a ship is part of the excitement of going away. My partner thinks I overthink it of course but he reaps the benefits once onboard like "wow, how did you know that" is said quite often.

Just book

P.O.S.H.

Regards

Though wouldn't booking the other side give you the same amount of sun/shade? ;p

Though wouldn't booking the other side give you the same amount of sun/shade? ;p

The original "Port Out, Starboard Home" referred to voyages by British people going to posts in distant parts of the Empire - India or Hong Kong. They were in the Northern hemisphere and travelling on non-airconditioned ships. Therefore they preferred being on the Port side on the outward journey because that side of the ship was cooler without the sun shining directly on it. Going home, they preferred the starboard side for the same reason.

I have to say that I read a lot of the negative reviews on CC and get a lot of fun out of them. Most are honest opinions from people who thought things on their cruise could have been better.

I also have to say that often I find that 5 star reviews turn me off the idea of travelling on a ship or cruise line, because the things the reviewer praises are things that I dislike about cruising.

The original "Port Out, Starboard Home" referred to voyages by British people going to posts in distant parts of the Empire - India or Hong Kong. They were in the Northern hemisphere and travelling on non-airconditioned ships. Therefore they preferred being on the Port side on the outward journey because that side of the ship was cooler without the sun shining directly on it. Going home, they preferred the starboard side for the same reason.

Well done , got it exactly ... mostly applied to people going out to India and then Returning "Home" in the days of the RAJ Mostly applied to The Peninsular and not quite so much on the Orient Line .

and has become part of the language as a result

Lovely descriptions in EM Foresters "A Passage to India" even includes a burial at sea , which is something we dont see too much of these days .

Oh dear the Sahib is missing the Raj too many ships full of Punkawhallas these days :p

Regards

John

Working out opposite of what they (the reviewer) actually wanted.

Can't seem to find out when the reviewer - Moto26 - actually posted the review. Maybe it was April 1st? Just wondering - or are they really as silly as they sound.

LOL, I didn't think of that - but no, I think they are serious :)