Rescheduling a Disney Cruise

mikeandkelli

We scheduled a Disney cruise last fall for spring break 2019, thinking the kids would love another trip to Orlando and the cruise. Last month, we went to a nice resort and had a wonderful time...so much that the kids are thinking they want to go back next spring break instead. Part of that is because my daughter won't be able to participate in the kids program there after 2019.

So even though we have the deposit down, we're actually thinking about changing our plans. Nothing's definite right now, but I've stopped my Disney planning for the time being. If we decide to do a cruise in the spring of 2020, does it make sense to hold our reservation until the 2020 schedules come out this fall, or should we cancel our cruise once we are sure we aren't doing it in 2019? I know that we have to cancel at least 75 days before the cruise date, but I figure we'll spend non-refundable money on airfare long before then. So I'm sure we'll know for sure in the next few months.

(I'm glad the kids brought this up, as I was just about ready to make a non-refundable DVC rental... :eek:

)

We scheduled a Disney cruise last fall for spring break 2019, thinking the kids would love another trip to Orlando and the cruise. Last month, we went to a nice resort and had a wonderful time...so much that the kids are thinking they want to go back next spring break instead. Part of that is because my daughter won't be able to participate in the kids program there after 2019.

So even though we have the deposit down, we're actually thinking about changing our plans. Nothing's definite right now, but I've stopped my Disney planning for the time being. If we decide to do a cruise in the spring of 2020, does it make sense to hold our reservation until the 2020 schedules come out this fall, or should we cancel our cruise once we are sure we aren't doing it in 2019? I know that we have to cancel at least 75 days before the cruise date, but I figure we'll spend non-refundable money on airfare long before then. So I'm sure we'll know for sure in the next few months.

(I'm glad the kids brought this up, as I was just about ready to make a non-refundable DVC rental... :eek:

)

If you're still unsure about whether you're actually going to take the cruise, I'd suggest keeping the reservation until you decide. As long as it's before the penalty date, you'll get all the monies back you've paid up to that point (unless you've booked Concierge - then you lose the deposit).

Reason being - if you cancel and then decide "yeah, let's do the cruise" you're going to pay more to book the same cruise/room at a later date than the price you are already locked into by booking earlier.

Oh, we're not cancelling anything until we decide for sure...and probably not until we actually book the alternative, in case something falls through there. I'm just wondering if there's a reason to hold it until the Spring 2019 itineraries come out this fall to reschedule it, or if it's going to be a cancel and start over.

Oh, we're not cancelling anything until we decide for sure...and probably not until we actually book the alternative, in case something falls through there. I'm just wondering if there's a reason to hold it until the Spring 2019 itineraries come out this fall to reschedule it, or if it's going to be a cancel and start over.

No advantage to keeping the reservation and changing it to a later date over cancelling current reservation and rebooking at a later date.

Unlike other lines, DCL doesn't charge for changes unless you have fully paid.

If you think you are pretty sure you are not going, cancel and make room available for someone else.

then again if on the fence, I agree hold off because re booking makes the price go up sometimes.

I did have some luck on another line where I canceled, re booked at high rate, then lurked around final payment time and I ended up with original price.