Just Back From Two Weeks on Odyssey

NoVa Mimi

We just got back from our wonderful two weeks onboard the Odyssey. My DH and I had a wonderful time! I would be happy to answer any questions, though won't do a review as my paragraph structure was criticized last year :rolleyes:

We just got back from our wonderful two weeks onboard the Odyssey. My DH and I had a wonderful time! I would be happy to answer any questions, though won't do a review as my paragraph structure was criticized last year :rolleyes:

Pllease write a review, we would love to read your opinion, please ignore the naysayers, so people just love to critize:D

( Sorry, I tried to delete this double post [with spelling mistake], however it keeps popping back up:mad:)

Edited by SKP946

Please write a review, we would love to read your opinion, please ignore the naysayers, some people just love to critize:D

So pleased to hear you had a good time, and do please do a review. If you can manage it, just going down a couple of lines to make paragraphs does make reviews, if longish, so much easier to read! But not to worry if you can't. :)

Thank you for your kindness 😊

We boarded in Barbados on 3/24/17 after arriving the previous day, staying at the Hilton. I really can’t recommend the Hilton, though it was somewhere to rest after a very long day of travel. Embarkation was very smooth, as usual. We were in a mid ship cabin, 525, which was very centrally located.

Meals were lovely with plenty of options available to satisfy any preference. We dined in the Colonnade and the Patio for the most part, though did enjoy some meals in the Restaurant as well. It was very nice to review menus in advance so that we could decide what suited our fancy the most. So many choices!

Previously, by day two we were referred to by name by anyone we encountered. I noticed that was not the case this year. Not an issue, though it was a very nice touch. In chatting with a lovely young lady regarding another subject, I asked if this was a recent change. She responded that all passengers were to be addressed by name and the procedure had not changed. She asked me for my suite number and I just smiled and indicated that it wasn’t important. Well, the following day everyone knew our name and many other passenger’s names. Very nice to find that the policy had indeed not changed.

The second day of week two was Easter. We were unable to tender due to weather that day. Rather than the beach BBQ we had a galley lunch. Lovely! Passengers were permitted to go through the galley to obtain many yummy dishes. Not a beach BBQ, but it was an excellent meal and really quite fun going through the galley. The ship had a number of large chocolate displays as well as an Easter Egg hunt for the children that were onboard. That evening, each passenger was surprised with an Easter basket (plate) complete with a handmade chocolate bunny! It was an absolutely lovely surprise and I felt like a young girl again!

Throughout the two weeks, we heard some grumbling and a few complaints which made me wonder, what does it take to please some people? I considered myself so fortunate to be onboard such a beautiful ship, being pampered to a degree that many can only dream of. Our experience was nothing short of lovely.

On our last evening onboard, I experienced an overwhelming desire to personally thank each individual that was kind enough to attend to my needs and requests. Unfortunately, I was unable to accomplish that. I met many wonderful individuals that work very hard to provide an excellent experience to all passengers. They endure very long hours, some very demanding passengers yet they always, without exception, have a smile for everyone. To me, that is what makes Seabourn so special.

We enjoyed every moment of the entire two weeks and look forward to the next time we are able to enjoy the entire Seabourn experience again!

All gratuities are included on Seabourn. If you wish, consider contributing to the cruise fund (anyone in Seabourn Square can help you). The fund goes directly to the crew, even those you never see, and is used at their discretion.

QUOTE"Well, the following day everyone knew our name and many other passenger’s names. Very nice to find that the policy had indeed not changed."

I had a similar situation on an early cruise after I mentioned it in passing to a senior staff member, I was addressed by name by everyone (including the deck crew.

I found out later that my ID photo had been blown up to Poster size and placed in a prominent position with a caption "Please call Mr. xxxxxx by name"

In regard to thanking exceptional staff the nicest thing you can do (apart from donating to the Crew Fund) is to mention them by name in your emailed survey

• 2 weeks later...

On Azamara, we learned that referring to crew members by name in a positive way in a written review could mean promotion or better duty, & so we are always sure to do that. It can mean money in their pockets in a long-term way!

I am so sorry to hear that your writing skills were subject to criticism on these boards in prior postings. I haven't visited cruisecritic in a while, & am struck by how rather...how to put it...tetchy people are these days...how eager to contradict or criticize or take things the wrong way & blow up a simple question into a debate or an argument.

It's made me sad, for all of us.

AND...I think we are doing your cruise next January/February - Barbados 14 days. Sounds like bliss & I'd like to know more about it - like - where did they have the Caviar in the Surf???

On Azamara, we learned that referring to crew members by name in a positive way in a written review could mean promotion or better duty, & so we are always sure to do that. It can mean money in their pockets in a long-term way!

I am so sorry to hear that your writing skills were subject to criticism on these boards in prior postings. I haven't visited cruisecritic in a while, & am struck by how rather...how to put it...tetchy people are these days...how eager to contradict or criticize or take things the wrong way & blow up a simple question into a debate or an argument.

It's made me sad, for all of us.

AND...I think we are doing your cruise next January/February - Barbados 14 days. Sounds like bliss & I'd like to know more about it - like - where did they have the Caviar in the Surf???

Thank you for your kindness! 😊

We did acknowledge each crew member by name, via their survey. Many individuals!

Our Caviar in The Surf was at Carombola beach, the next week it was cancelled due to swells causing unsafe tender conditions. On that day they provided a Galley lunch, very nice experience!

On another note, the Captain and his wife were the loveliest individuals! Often on deck mingling with passengers and always very approachable. Not like those that rarely speak with passengers. Best Captain we’ve ever encountered 😊