How not to get sick off the water while on shore

T.Swift

Eat at established restaurants. They all bring in purified water and ice.

Or simply buy some bottled water at any convenience markets in Mexico. Go into an OXXO and you can visit Mexico's most ubiquitous retail store.

With respect to restaurants, I have never had a problem drinking the water or ice in any restaurant in Mexico. I guess something can be contaminated, but it just isn't a real issue these days in anywhere that I have been in many years of dining in the county.

Agree that restaurants in the cities that the ship visits seem to be fine these days. We get mango margaritas on shore in several different small places in Puerto Vallarta each year and although DH has a tender tummy , he has never been sick from them!

The only time any of us has been sick in Mexico was from the ship’s Mexican buffet. Sour cream under a heat lamp just doesn’t work.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I am especially cautious about eating dairy products sitting out in an outside buffet in the sun. It doesn't matter the location of the ship.

I am not a big water or soda drinker. Nor do I drink beer. While on shore how do you avoid getting sick? Margaritas are usually blended or over ice. Ice tea, again water and ice.
Mexico is no different then the US when it comes to the quality of the water that comes out of the tap. That doesn't mean there is a problem with the water at the purification plant, it does mean that there may be a problem with parts of the municipal water delivery system. As a general rule, businesses that cater to the tourist trade have additional on-site filters/purifiers and buy their ice directly from the water purification plant. There are convenience stores on just about every corner where you can buy bottled water of other beverages.

Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

Mexico is no different then the US when it comes to the quality of the water that comes out of the tap.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I would respectfully disagree with this statement. The public water system in Mexico is much more rudimentary than the US and everyone has the expectation that water coming out of the tap is not fit to drink without further treatment onsite.

Tourism is extremely important to Mexico. All reputable restaurants and bars use safe ice. Don't worry about that. Instead worry about the potency of the tequilla! After just half a Margarita in Puerto Vallarta recently, I could barely walk back to the street to find a cab :^O

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk