Former Virgin America flyers need to know these 12 things about Alaska Airlines

Z'Loth

From SF Gate:

Former Virgin America flyers need to know these 12 things about Alaska Airlines

Milestone event ushers in big changes

Next Tuesday, April 24, the last official Virgin America flights will take off into the sunset. When passengers arrive at the airport on Wednesday morning, it's going to be all Alaska Airlines, all the time.

On April 25, the spunky Virgin America brand will be erased. Its only vestige will be a slowly declining number of red and white Airbus jets flying around and awaiting conversions.

Based on recent conversations with Alaska Airlines spokespersons and executives, I've uncovered 12 things Virgin America regulars need to know about the "cutover" that starts overnight Tuesday/Wednesday April 24 and 25, plus the outlook for the next two years.

FULL ARTICLE HERE

Of course, they have linked up the Virgin boarding video at the end of the article which is a earworm waiting to attack!

As a loyal AS frequent flyer, I can understand the sense of hurt that loyal VX frequent flyers are feeling. It can be a sense of betrayal that VX sold you out and who the hell does AS think they are. AS can't replace my VX product.

The future of AS will be interesting. I've seen it grow from a simple PNW basically regional airline, to an airline that has scheduled flights all over the continental United States to include Hawaii, Canada, and Mexico.

But where do they go from here? Delta is nipping at their heels. The adherence to a 737 single isle aircraft is wearing thin on passengers such as myself for 5+ hour long flights. The mix match of partner alliances. Some One World, some SkyTeam, some Star Alliance. Are they going to become a LCC? or are they going to become a major carrier?

The future of AS should be an interesting ride.

As a loyal AS frequent flyer, I can understand the sense of hurt that loyal VX frequent flyers are feeling. It can be a sense of betrayal that VX sold you out and who the hell does AS think they are. AS can't replace my VX product.

The future of AS will be interesting. I've seen it grow from a simple PNW basically regional airline, to an airline that has scheduled flights all over the continental United States to include Hawaii, Canada, and Mexico.

But where do they go from here? Delta is nipping at their heels. The adherence to a 737 single isle aircraft is wearing thin on passengers such as myself for 5+ hour long flights. The mix match of partner alliances. Some One World, some SkyTeam, some Star Alliance. Are they going to become a LCC? or are they going to become a major carrier?

The future of AS should be an interesting ride.

I certainly can understand how AS flyers feel ... felt the same way when America West became part of US Airways Group. Our good 'ole hometown airline was no more and the love was lost. It got worse when AA got a hold of US Airways and a sad day indeed in 2015 when the "Cactus" call-sign was retired :( (kinda like BA using "Speedbird.") We prefer to fly Delta even though PHX is not a hub.

The airline industry has changed over the years, and although flying is less expensive, the overall flight experience with US carriers leaves A LOT to be desired.

I certainly can understand how AS flyers feel ... felt the same way when America West became part of US Airways Group. Our good 'ole hometown airline was no more and the love was lost. It got worse when AA got a hold of US Airways and a sad day indeed in 2015 when the "Cactus" call-sign was retired :( (kinda like BA using "Speedbird.") We prefer to fly Delta even though PHX is not a hub.

The airline industry has changed over the years, and although flying is less expensive, the overall flight experience with US carriers leaves A LOT to be desired.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was America West that acquired US Air Group in 2005 and then took the U S Air name instead of retaining the America West name. Then I think that US Air merged with American after American parent, AMR, filed for bankruptcy. The combined airlines became American.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was America West that acquired US Air Group in 2005 and then took the U S Air name instead of retaining the America West name. Then I think that US Air merged with American after American parent, AMR, filed for bankruptcy. The combined airlines became American.

You are correct. Each time, the "smaller" company then assumed the name of the more established brand.

Sorta like how Nations Bank took over BankAmerica and renamed itself after the more well known acquisition. (And why Charlotte is the HQ, not SFO).