What is you experience with Dramamene.

Action Dave

Dramamine is essentially the same as Benadryl - its an antihistamine. In the body, Dramamine breaks down into Benadryl and its counterion

While I am extremely prone to motion sickness, I do not care for Dramamine. It makes me sleepy and only lasts 6-7 hours. I prefer Meclizine (trade name Bonine), another antihistamine but it makes me much less drowsy and lasts up to 24 hours

Since you were recently in the hospital, why don't you consult your physician about what might be best for you, or at the least ask a pharmacist. I wouldn't take medical advice from other cruisers.:)

BUT didn't you just dispense medical advice by referring the OP to his physician? Lol. :pOf course, I actually agree with you, especially since the OP has had recent medical issues.

OP, you only said that you had balance issues, so I don't know if that means you're just unsteady on your feet, or you are experiencing problems with dizziness or vertigo. There could be several reasons for this and only your doctor can determine the correct treatment options. I doubt that Dramamine would be one of them. Meclizine might, since it is used (under a different brand name) to treat a specific type of vertigo disorder.

Makes me sleepy. Everyone suggests starting the dosing a few days before the cruise. On our Alaska cruise coming up, the trip north through the Pacific currents cause a lot of rolling. I think I'll start the dramamine on Wednesday for Friday's cruise. Hopefully I'll get over the sleepiness by then.

Dramamine and Bonine both make me sleepy even though Bonine is supposed to be non-drowsy. They way I counter-act that is to start taking it 3 or 4 days before the cruise and at night. That way I get a good night's sleep and then I don't have the drowsiness the next day, but I have all the protection.

I appreciate everyones input and of course i would consult my doctor.. also my wife and travel companion is an ER nurse 30 yrs. I was curious to other peoples experience..Meclizine may be worth a try. Leaving for Rome on Aug 28 cruising Med Sep 5 to sep 12 Yahoo...Lets go cruising