Watch sale on cruise ship

Z'Loth

Is it my imagination, but do the shops on the cruise lines love to push watches?

This is something that I noticed during my last cruise. They had a wide variety of watches on sale in the shops ranging from the extremely cheap to some so expensive I was going "seriously? You expect me to wear this?" I know I'm scratching my head especially since I've given up wearing a watch in favor of the time on my cell phone.

Maybe it's because of the pier runners.... they are the most in need of a time piece.

They do have a large selection of watches, because they sell....

The nice thing about buying a watch, compared with other 'jewelry', is that you can easily compare the ship prices, with those back home, at ports, or on the internet.

We had a trip last year on which we just lucked into a much larger than usual amount of OBC. It covered gratuities, our wine tab, and some other stuff. We still had a lot left over, so we each got watches and a few other things.

Or get it w OBC. That is what I did. The watch was free.

Don

I did the same thing...bought a watch on board, and then when I got home and found an even better price, I gave my credit card company documentation, and they refunded me the difference in price.

So in effect, I was "paid" to take a 'free' watch....:cool:

I bought a Citizen Eco watch on a ship a number of years ago. I It was hyped as 50 percent off, tax free, yata yata. I bought it because I like it. Got off the ship in Fll. Two days later, while waiting for DW in a Fll mall, I went into a jewelry store. Same watch was being sold for exactly $1.00 (one dollar) more than the on board price.

On another voyage we priced a high end watch on the ship-down to the specific model number. Googled it and found it for a fair amount less from an on line US based retailer.

You might be okay buying a Citizen watch from an on line retailer....but most "high end" Swiss watch manufacturer's won't stand behind a watch purchased this way, as they are not "authorized dealer's", and are considered "gray market" sales....beware!;)

On our last cruise my son and one of our travel companions both bought watches. One was a huge thing that must have weighed 5 pounds, the other was actually a size I would consider wearing. I did a search on the well known internet market named after a region in Brazil and found both watches for less than what they paid for them. So yes, know your prices.

On our March 2018 B2B cruise on the Equinox we bought three watches with our OBC. According to the sales person we were saving money compared to what we could have bought the same exact watches for at home or online. So when I got home I did check and we did save money by purchasing them in the onboard. Again free as far as we are concerned. Use it or lose it.

Is it my imagination' date=' but do the shops on the cruise lines love to push watches?

This is something that I noticed during my last cruise. They had a wide variety of watches on sale in the shops ranging from the extremely cheap to some so expensive I was going "seriously? You expect me to wear this?" I know I'm scratching my head especially since I've given up wearing a watch in favor of the time on my cell phone.

Maybe it's because of the pier runners.... they are the most in need of a time piece.[/quote']

So many people buy the cheap watch and pen sets ,it truly amazes me.

Is it my imagination' date=' but do the shops on the cruise lines love to push watches?

Maybe it's because of the pier runners.... they are the most in need of a time piece.[/quote']

They sell watches for the same reason that they sell art works. People tend to be more liberal with vacation money than they are with at home expenses.

I bought my spouse a 'grey market' Seiko watch 20 years ago. It came with a guarantee from the seller. Never needed it. There are lots of grey market products floating around in discount stores. Many buyers do not even realize it.